EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
electramia
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electramia.html

EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by electramia »

I've never really been a fan of EBook but desperate times call for desperate measures. When I do need the convenience of reading from my IPhone/IPad, I feel slightly disconnected in comparison to if I had the actual hardcopy in my hands. Considering all the libraries in my town either went out of business or is currently moving locations, EBooks are life savers. But I do get my hands on a hardcopy when I can.
I feel like actual books are growing extinct, so I'm curious: is it because of our generation's festering need to convert everything to technology or honest preference?
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I personally use quite a bit of electronic reading for school related matters, and I do in fact own a Kindle, but on the whole I prefer to read a hard copy of a book. While my tendancy to have two, three, and soemtimes four books on me at a time does make things a little difficult in terms of day-to-day transportation, it still feels like a certain religious transferrance to actually read the actual pages.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
junogirl
Favorite Author: maeve binchy
Favorite Book: pride and predjudice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-junogirl.html
fav_author_id: 6080

Post by junogirl »

i think that for most people these days, it's a matter of convenience and technology. unless you are a hardcore "book" person, many people will go for the e-reader for the simplicity. the problem for me is that much of 'book reading' is lost when you are flipping pages on an e-reader. i need the texture, the smell and the authenticity of the actual book in my hands to actually enjoy reading. Now, obviously, it doesn't matter too much sometimes as i have been known to enjoy 'books on tape' as well as books in my hands but i do believe technology is taking away from the pleasure of reading a great book.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I totally agree.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

It's kind of scary how much technology is taking over our lives. When I was a kid I would never have thought that we would be reading books on a tablet (let alone know what that is) or instantly downloading them off of the internet. As convenient as it is to read an E-book, I still prefer a hardcopy. I also find that a majority of the free e-books are poorly written self-published books. And as for harcopy books going extinct; I believe one day they will become a rareity. Sadly, everything is about making money; and if producing an e-book is cheaper that's what companys will inevitably convert to. I've never looked into it, but I am assuming it would be cheaper to download a file than to print off thousands of pages...
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love both, but prefer ebooks when I read. Sometimes I have the hardcopy, but still prefer to read it on my kindle. Most of the e-books are in good condition.

However, if I really love the book and know I will reread it again, I will get the hardcopy as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tinkerbell12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinkerbell12.html

Post by Tinkerbell12 »

Honestly, I used to rebel at the ebook idea. I thought that I would never be as comfortable or as happy reading on an ebook. You do loose some special sensations, the feel and touch of the book. However, I have slowly converted. There are many benefits and one is simply not having as many piles, boxes and shelves overflowing with books. E-readers are easy to take with you, often weigh less and most now you can use in the dark and see easily without fumbling with a booklight. If you change the settings so that the pages flip and it is a nice light tan color it helps. Now I feel that is is easier, more convienent, and just as fun.
astralcolt

Post by astralcolt »

I wouldn't worry about e-books replacing paper books entirely. Fact is, many, if not most, people enjoy the touch and feel of a paper book. I do own a Kindle, and I love it for its convenience, but nothing is quite like turning the pages of a physical book. And kids, it turns out, are as into physical books as nostalgic adults, if not more so. They like the throwback, retro feel of reading an actual book and escaping the blinking and beeping of their usual tech. Also, teens are all about appearances, and so they like being seen with a book (since it makes them look smart).
katielgorton3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katielgorton3.html

Post by katielgorton3 »

I despise E-books. I know that seems harsh, but I cannot bring myself to use one. I'm in the navy, and space on the ship is very limited, but still I find myself sacrificing space for clothes to fit more books in my sea bag. Aside from the obvious reasons for loving books, the feel of turning the page, the connection you feel every time you pick it up, etc. etc., the reason i am so against e-books stems from my love of book stores. We have all seen movie rental places shut down due to having access to those movies online, and I am terrified that the same thing will happen to book stores. In my city alone I have watched borders go out of business, and the Barnes and noble in the mall go under as well. And while these aren't the book stores I prefer to shop at, I have to assume that if they can't make it, all of the mom and pop shops that I adore are going to suffer as well. That is a crushing reality. Some of my favorite times as a child, and young adult were sitting in the isle of Powells reading chapters from books for hours. I don't want that to ever cease to be a possibility because of "convenience".
leannmm

Post by leannmm »

I have come to enjoy my kindle, but continue to take the hardcopy on trips. I enjoy the easy of borrowing books from the library without having to remember to return them. Paperback is nice on the beach, to throw down and not have to worry about.
smorice

Post by smorice »

I like both, I used to be against ebooks, just out of principal. I hate the idea of paper books becoming a relic. For me, there is nothing like holding the weight of a book in your hand, the feel of the paper as you turn the page, and the smell of a book. It is part of the experience. I broke down though, a few years ago, and bought a Kindle, and I kinda love that too, for other reasons. I can get through books a lot faster on screen than in a book, and I like that there is easy access to try something new when I'm in the mood for a different genre. There is also the ease of reading the same book on many devices, so I can avoid carrying a book along on my day and just read on my phone if needed. Still, I read hard copies quite a bit, especially if it is by an author I love or one that I want to keep on my bookshelf for rereading purposes.
cajungirl68

Post by cajungirl68 »

I have always been a hardcopy fan...however, that being said, the wonderful thing about ereader apps is the sheer portability of them...I can be reading a book on my Kindle at home and pick up where I left off on my phone during my lunch break...no more " I lost my place..." happening . But at home, I love the heft of a real book and being able to pass it to my husband to read a passage or a quote...if he drops it, there's (generally) no harm done....
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

I used to dislike the ebooks but am discovering I really enjoy the ability to tap on a word for its definition. Also, I usually have my phone on me so it's been helpful getting through books when I am not in a place I would normally have my book with me. I still prefer holding a "real" book though.
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I don't think it's just a desire to convert everything to technology. The availability of free e-books is also a big motivator. I personally prefer reading on my Kindle because my eyes don't get as tired as they do when I read a print book.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

My honest preference is a hardcopy, but it's hard to find places in my house for them. This is why I tend to lean towards ebooks.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”