Is that just necessary?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
sglee425
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sglee425.html

Re: Is that just necessary?

Post by sglee425 »

I got a kindle 3 years ago and never looked back. Tried reading paperbacks a couple of time and found myself looking for the button to change the font size.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I cant see the problem. :?

I read on my ipad - and yes, my ipad also goes on the internet, plays games, takes photos, has music, can watch movies or streamed pay TV shows - I have used it for all of the above.

One of the advantages of an ipad as opposed to a specific e reader like a kindle, is that the one device does everything. It fits in my handbag and goes everywhere I go.
I would not like to carry around a secondary device just for reading.
So I think it is wonderful that one device does all.

OP, not sure why you object to this - many people use their smart phone for all these things, what is the difference.

I dont use my phone for those things, mainly because I find the screen too small for any internet purposes other than quick weather checks, that sort of thing - but too small for browsing or extended use.

That probably says more about my old small phone and my poor eye sight than anything else - but still, not getting why you seem to approve of smart phones doing everything but not e readers. :?
pulldatrigger

Post by pulldatrigger »

Aussie-reader wrote:I cant see the problem. :?

I read on my ipad - and yes, my ipad also goes on the internet, plays games, takes photos, has music, can watch movies or streamed pay TV shows - I have used it for all of the above.

One of the advantages of an ipad as opposed to a specific e reader like a kindle, is that the one device does everything. It fits in my handbag and goes everywhere I go.
I would not like to carry around a secondary device just for reading.
So I think it is wonderful that one device does all.

OP, not sure why you object to this - many people use their smart phone for all these things, what is the difference.

I dont use my phone for those things, mainly because I find the screen too small for any internet purposes other than quick weather checks, that sort of thing - but too small for browsing or extended use.

That probably says more about my old small phone and my poor eye sight than anything else - but still, not getting why you seem to approve of smart phones doing everything but not e readers. :?
Well, just because there's a limitation about the function of e-reader. Already there's a smartphone or pad or something, it's really enough to take the place of e-readers, isn't it?
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I don't understand what you are saying with this last post.

Why is it good that there is a limitation to the function of e readers?

Why isn't it good to have one device,ie a tablet that does everything, including e reading, and therefore not to need a secondary device?

I don't get it :?
mommyofmyne

Post by mommyofmyne »

One device does all kind of objects are good, but never truly seem to go into enough depth of each service they offer. I have found it better to have task specific objects if it is a task that is important to you (reading/tv/music) I haven't found a device that handles all three well. I choose music and reading so and Ipad is pretty good, but the screens aren't available to take outside with you so thats kind of a bummer.
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I don't think it's necessary, but humans are always wanting more. I don't have an ereader, and I prefer it that way!
pulldatrigger

Post by pulldatrigger »

Aussie-reader wrote:I don't understand what you are saying with this last post.

Why is it good that there is a limitation to the function of e readers?

Why isn't it good to have one device,ie a tablet that does everything, including e reading, and therefore not to need a secondary device?

I don't get it :?
Well, because some functions of them are overlapped. You just need only one of them.
And you would say that e-reader's screen is bigger. But all we know that the phone's screens are getting bigger, right?
seribin123

Post by seribin123 »

I can not give you answer, i have this hesitation as well. I like reading, but I hate to hold a book in my hand. So E-Book Reader may be necessary for me but I also consider that if you read with E-Book Reader, you will lose the original feeling of the reading, you just like scan a website.
Mbenner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenner.html

Post by Mbenner »

I found my self reading more books because of my Ebook reader then I have reading DTB's
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

I have a kindle fire touch and I love it ! I really do. I use it mainly for my books, actually, that's the only thing I use it for.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think we are trying to do as much things as possible in our short lives. But what we need to do is slow down. It doesn't actually matter if we don't see and experience everything. It is the quality of the experience.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

I don't think we need them, since everything is accessable in smartphones. I don't use E-readers.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Chess Strategies for Beginners by Eric H. Schuelke

Post by Mayang Bature »

All of these, in my opinion, are unnecessary. But, hey, do whatever makes you happy. In this situation, the end actually justifies the means.
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

I have my e-book reader and I am satisfied with what I have. I don't think it's necessary for all that other things. As long as I have something to read, I will be okay.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I have a kindle and it gives way more advantages than physical books do, so I trink it is not necessary but it is very useful and flexible.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”