Is that just necessary?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
pulldatrigger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is that just necessary?

Post by pulldatrigger »

Paper books used to be popular in the past, then with the development of technology the e-readers come out. And now, i can even see some e-readers with a TV-OUTPUT, and music player, voice recorder, video player are included as a combination. I mean, we human can satisfied these by a singular cellphone, if we wanna listen to music or watch movies we go find a mp4 player... Is that so necessary for us to buy a e-reader such like this kind of thing???
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have a kindle and satisfied with it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
pulldatrigger

Post by pulldatrigger »

gali wrote:I have a kindle and satisfied with it.
Well Kindle is especially famous for it's E-ink skill. And the functions aim at electronic books, magazines, newspapers but less in movies, games, etc. Generally kindle is much more professional.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Yeah I find it kind of weird, but then I have a tendency to cling to traditional things when it comes to technological advances. However, I think this is the way the world is going--everything is going to be combined into one thing. Pretty soon we'll have washing machines that can play music and download our favorite tv shows.
pulldatrigger

Post by pulldatrigger »

npandit wrote:Yeah I find it kind of weird, but then I have a tendency to cling to traditional things when it comes to technological advances. However, I think this is the way the world is going--everything is going to be combined into one thing. Pretty soon we'll have washing machines that can play music and download our favorite tv shows.
Well the life is becoming easier and easier. We need to have fun when doing board business. It's reasonable. And we don't have to bring up the mp3 player or wireless tv while washing.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

pulldatrigger wrote:
gali wrote:I have a kindle and satisfied with it.
Well Kindle is especially famous for it's E-ink skill. And the functions aim at electronic books, magazines, newspapers but less in movies, games, etc. Generally kindle is much more professional.
I know and I bought it for reading purposes. Movies I prefer to watch on T.V.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

npandit wrote:Yeah I find it kind of weird, but then I have a tendency to cling to traditional things when it comes to technological advances. However, I think this is the way the world is going--everything is going to be combined into one thing. Pretty soon we'll have washing machines that can play music and download our favorite tv shows.
Can't see myself sitting watching the washing machine :lol: :lol:
I have a Kindle but I've been reading on an iPad the last few weeks & I did think that the easy access to tab across to a twitter/facebook or whatever would have been a major temptation but actually it wasn't .... nothing takes me away from a good book in whatever format I'm reading.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

Supposedly my kindle has all sorts of media bells and whistles but I wouldn't know how to use them, I just read books with it and occasionally get on the internet.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html

Post by npandit »

Haha :) Me neither!

It's true, I guess you have to be invested in what you're reading though. If the book doesn't hold my attention, then I'll probably go online but I'll usually end up perusing through more books, rather than checking my email or doing something unrelated. So maybe in my head there's a compartment that says "E-reader for reading only".
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

I couldn't agree with you more! But from a marketing standpoint, I understand why Kindle, Sony, Nook, etc. have taken this route. Think about it. They are in competition with Apple, Smartphones, tablets, etc. and in order to maximize their best potential, they have to offer their customers some of these things, otherwise, they would be knocked out of the loop. Sure, there are millions of readers out here, but they want to make sure we have everything at our fingertips.

Personally, my original Kindle Fire is great and I'm still using it. When Amazon came out with the Kindle Fire HD, so many of my friends flocked to Amazon like a moth to flame, to be the first to get it. As far as I'm concerned, once I buy the electronics I like of my choice, I don't give a damn what these companies come out with, I'm sticking to what I have until I am satisfied I have used that device to its full potential. It's because these companies know people will flock/run to get these next new gadgets, thereby creating a market, and hence, you have these super e-Readers! It's just crazy to me, but hey, it's affecting Big Conglomerates bottom line.

As long as there is a market, they are going to put it out! The question should then be, do you run out and buy it just because it's thrown in your face? Now, that's what we should be addressing! :-)
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I don't know, if my washing machine had an e-reader attached to it, all the laundry would always get done!
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

AMP76 wrote:I don't know, if my washing machine had an e-reader attached to it, all the laundry would always get done!
I have often watched the laundry confident it would hop into the machine itself .... eventually (hasn't worked yet though) :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro

Post by krismags »

I didn't want an e reader, but was given to me and I find it useful for traveling, since I'm on the road nearly every weekend. ButI dislike using it for other purposes - I'd rather use my phone or laptop
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Niobe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niobe.html

Post by Niobe »

I feel like an E-reader is mostly just a tablet with a good portion of its storage space blocked off especially for books. I don't have an iPad, but I imagine that it would serve much of the same function, if not better, than a Kindle?
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

I think that hard copy books will still hold out; while it makes perfect sense to save space and time with an iPod to take thousands and thousands of songs with you anywhere, and to have netflix and hulu for films and TV shows, books have a certain exestential feeling to them, a certain...thing that keeps them from fully going away. Check the B&N sales on current hard-and softcover bestsellers, and you'll see my point.

While I certainly enjoy the convenience of electronic devices in the context of my reading, I still think that hard copies of books will be around for a good long while.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”