The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Re: The trouble with free books is:

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

Totally the same here, I'm always so anxious to check if the next one is free and end up disappointed when it isn't.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
elak02
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elak02.html

Post by elak02 »

You're totally right. I have read countless free books on my Kindle, but I often finish a book just to see what happens. I only occasionally find a story or characters interesting enough to warrant purchasing the rest of the series. It's definitely a give and take.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

If only free equaled good. Too bad it often does not.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MarieMc
Currently Reading: Host
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariemc.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MarieMc »

I have found and read some really great free books. And then found there was more to read to the set that was not free. But honestly, if you were an author, would you be able to let ALL your books go for free? They are trying to make a living too and if by giving one book away free to catch your interest, so that you will want to buy the others. I understand. That is nothing less than what retailers do all the time. Buy one Get one Free. If the set of books, ie: story line, is really good, I will buy the other books so that the author can put food on their table tonight. :mrgreen: I don't mind donating some of my time at work, but I don't want to work for free all the time.
Today is a good day
to have GOOD day!!
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

I like getting free books, but the quality meaning grammar and punctuation, generally aren't up to par.
AWJO1991

Post by AWJO1991 »

Janik wrote:I like getting free books, but the quality meaning grammar and punctuation, generally aren't up to par.
Yeah, that's a huge problem with free ebooks and a LOT of self published books. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the whole self-publishing on Amazon, and what I've noticed is that most of these authors tend to get in a hurry and think they're the best editor for their book. Coming from a writer, the author should never be the final editor. It's always best to hire one.

I think authors are starting to realize this.

And it's definitely a marketing tool for us authors, but I'm starting to wonder if free ebooks are getting such a bad reputation that readers are moving to the 99 cent books. Who knows
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

sglee425 wrote:The trouble with free ebooks is that a lot of them are not edited well. I buy mostly free ebooks on Amazon and am not able to finish half of them. I'd say there's only about 10% that are really good. Those good ones are worth all the crap you have to wade through though.
I could not have said this better myself!!! I would say that well over 90% of all e-books I've downloaded have errors. Even the more promising books have typos here and there. You almost never see this kind of thing with traditional paper books.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rune
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rune.html

Post by rune »

I have only recently got a Kindle, summer of this year, and I am just getting use to the free book thingy. I have read some reasonable free books so far, but due to lack of funds cant get the others in the series, which is frustrating.
But I have also read a few of very poorly written books, that shouldnt of seen light of day!!!
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

The biggest problem with free books is that they usually suck.
I'm sure some of them expose themselves with e-mails and printed copies sent to publishing houses but none will accept so they self-publish it and then you have:
- Terrible storyline with a lot of plot-holes
- Terrible grammar mistakes
- Terrible conjugation of verbs
- Terrible agreement errors
- Terrible story development
- Terrible interaction between characters
Etc etc etc.
Yeah I am picky and I read a few free books but I rarely pick one that was self-published or that is REALLY REALLY underground (like, below 100 ratings), I wait until I see more ratings. But it also depends on the author and what year it was published.
Tell me I'm picky but usually on Goodreads, it's a book it's below 3.60 I won't read it.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

A lot of free books are classics. I have this audio book app and all the free ones are classics. I don't know why they're free- they're just as great as the books that are written by current authors.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

3chicnP wrote:A lot of free books are classics. I have this audio book app and all the free ones are classics. I don't know why they're free- they're just as great as the books that are written by current authors.
Yeah that's the good thing about it!
Since many people don't care about classics they're usually very cheap or for free. I read a great amount of them this year for free. Best thing ever.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

I often find that when you get a free book it is like you said, there are more you must pay for but often they are not as pricy as other novels. I figure if they are willing to give me a free book and the others are just as good, well I'm ahead of the game. I found a new series I enjoy and I also saved money. It's a win win situation!
Langurl

Post by Langurl »

The worst is when the story just stops and you have to buy the next book just to finish the free one. I now go to the end to see if this is the case before starting a free book. Otherwise, I like the idea of trying out a book that I may never have thought I'd like and really getting into it.
braydencrown

Post by braydencrown »

Yeh. That's True
ShimmySistah

Post by ShimmySistah »

Free books seem nice! Great for stimulating our minds for the freebie and great marketing for the authors!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”