The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: The trouble with free books is:

Post by gali »

anomalocaris wrote:Normally I don't mind it. Nothing wrong with an author giving you a free sample to get you to buy the series, just like there's nothing wrong with getting a free sample of laundry detergent in the mail. Obviously the detergent company isn't sending that sample just because they like you. Why should an author (who is, after all marketing a product) be any different? I don't know why anyone would feel "tricked" by that.

However, Amazon offers something they call serials, which are novels broken into small sections. In the description of the first section, they clearly state that once you've purchased the first part, you will not have to pay to get the other parts. It's a single book that you'll just get in installments. Sounds fair enough, but after purchasing one, when I tried to get the rest of it, I learned that I was going to be charged for it. Went back and reread the info on the first one, just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood, but it was there in very clear and simple language, saying the other parts would be delivered automatically with no further charge. There's a difference between honestly offering a free sample, and outright lying about what's being purchased.
You are right. Have you asked them about that? You should. If they offered it free, they should have kept their world.

-- May 11th, 2014, 7:43 pm --

I see nothing wrong with free books as long as they are well written and free of typos.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ccm
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccm.html

Post by ccm »

They reel you in with the first free one then you have to pay for the remaining one's in the series. Which is fine if they were like five or six dollars but when they are like ten dollars a book it's like oh man.
ebookfan

Post by ebookfan »

I've only read one free ebook - Promise Me Forever. It was alright, but I don't think I'm gonna invest in them anytime soon again.

~DevineDestinies~
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

The trouble for me is that there are so many that if I were to read them all I would never get anything else done with my life. And yes, you have to dig to find the ones that are really worth the time.
It is a good marketing plan though. I also have gone out and bought the rest of a series because I couldn't find the books any other way and couldn't stand to not know the ending.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
Headbanginghunny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headbanginghunny.html

Post by Headbanginghunny »

I agree with most statements said. It can be tricky because they usually are a part of a series. I tend to try to stay away from those if I can. I'd rather just read a free story. Sometimes, it's only an excerpt and is not indicated, which drives me mad. However, I love free stuff and will take what I can get, even if they are scanned badly or with poor editing. It's free, I can't return it. What do you expect!
mamelotti96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamelotti96.html

Post by mamelotti96 »

Free books on my Kindle give me stress to be honest. They are hits and misses for me, but mostly misses. I feel like many of the free ebooks I get are amateur, no development, or been there done that.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I have had those books that I read just so I can find out what happens in the end and not because I am in love with the book. I read free books whenever I can because it gives me a chance to see what the author is like and determine if I want to continue reading books by them. Unfortunately, out of all of the free books that I have read I have only found 1 book that I had to stop because it was that bad. So I usually end up purchasing the rest of the books because I love to read in general and unless your book is just plain horrible I am going to keep reading.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

They are sometimes hastily written and poorly proofed. I've downloaded many free books that were so poorly written that I spent more time interpreting than enjoying.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
derekpowell

Post by derekpowell »

This pre-dates ebooks, too.

Years ago, at my favorite bookstore, I picked up a free paperback book that contained the first few chapters of "The Eye of the World." I had already read it, so I gave it away to get a friend hooked on the series.

They gave away a free sample to sell 14 more books. Not a bad deal.
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

Yeah, I think some free books are extremely good. But then I wonder why they are putting them free. Maybe they just want the work to see it, maybe they want feedback, but some are just terrible to read.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

It is like that with every e reader and it can get annoying at times lol but if you are a member of amazon prime try the lending library. You can "borrow" books to read that aren't usually in a series. Or look under the kindle singles tab.
bkjr-20171
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bkjr-20171.html

Post by bkjr-20171 »

The number one thing I don't like about free books would have to be the story in general isn't believable or relate-able. The character's are not thought out enough and the plot isn't what it should be. Also the typos get kind of annoying.
AlexesR

Post by AlexesR »

not a thing. If you read the sample first, you can skip the unedited/badly edited stuff and discover some great authors. I do agree, though, that even a free book should be a complete story, not a "to be continued." That's annoying.
vickylette33

Post by vickylette33 »

were i come from imagination is key if pages are missing have fun with it free books is free knowledge i cant say i have a problem with that
spacebound

Post by spacebound »

I love free e-books, I find it hard for myself to dish out a ton of money on e-books, and being free they have really expanded my interest in other genres as well as uncovering some amazing ( not well known) authors. (even if you have to over look some grammatical errors)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”