The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
cittin5
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cittin5.html

Re: The trouble with free books is:

Post by cittin5 »

I end up reading the first one but I can't go get the next because it's too expensive so I can't finish the series and it really bugs me.
shequila
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shequila »

I have bought several books because I read the free book and got up in the story so of course I had to see how it ended.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

I am always on the hunt for new books to read. I found that the first book in the series is super cheap or free, but the following books in the series are expensive. I have started to check for sequel prices on books before I buy the first one in a series because I can't justify spending a ton of money on one series. (I'm shopping on a budget - always :().
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I get so many free books on my kindle that I don't have time to buy the next book in a series if I am not absolutely in love with the story. Most of the books are just ok but there have been a few really great ones that have introduced me to a new author. I think it is a good marketing strategy.

-- 20 Mar 2015, 23:05 --

I also meant to say that I would like to mentally know how the story ends and sometimes it is annoying but I just have to turn my mind onto the next book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I love free books. I just started getting them on my Kindle app and I have been hooked. Although paperbacks are still my first choice, I do like getting the free books. I have got about a dozen of them in my library right now, and I am looking towards getting more.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Jesska6029 wrote:I am always on the hunt for new books to read. I found that the first book in the series is super cheap or free, but the following books in the series are expensive. I have started to check for sequel prices on books before I buy the first one in a series because I can't justify spending a ton of money on one series. (I'm shopping on a budget - always :().
The worst thing is when an author makes the sequel super cheap, but the first book in the series is expensive. Why would I want to buy the "cheap" sequel if I first have to buy the pricey first book? I guess it's a good strategy for the loyal readers who already read the first book. Still, it doesn't do much to attract new readers.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Tigger0719
Currently Reading: Elixir
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigger0719.html

Post by Tigger0719 »

I enjoy a good series. If I connect with a character I want to spend more time with them. I do like a free book if it the first one in a series but recently I have come across several free books that are the third or fourth in the series. I'm not sure why they are giving away a book in the middle of the series. Do they expect us to buy the first and second before reading the free third?
sjauhar
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjauhar.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by sjauhar »

While I can agree that it is a pain to get a free book and have to pay for the rest of the series, it does introduce you to a wide variety of genres, which can be a good thing. One bad thing that I have noticed is that some of the free books really need some good editing and I wish that I could contact the author just to let them know that they should proofread their book before putting it out there. I notice that a lot of the free books that are more along the lines of classic works like Dickens etc have a lot of typographical errors. I know that they were typed out by volunteers so that these works could be available to all for no cost, but I do think that they should consider having someone go over it first. I have found a few new authors the free book way and I do think there is a lot of up and coming talent out there, so it's fun to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.
Tenzi

Post by Tenzi »

I'm with you on the anxiety of an unfinished book Tyler. I can't help but think maybe the story line will get better or if I just stick with it I'll get sucked in. I see the free books as sampler plates like I get from a new restaurant, you get a chance to taste a new author's work and decide if you want to order the whole meal. I've found a few excellent authors this way and it helped weed out those that I didn't care for. But if you're on the fence then why not buy just one, most books are so reasonably in price that it's not a huge investment, so why not go for it. If you don't like the second one you can then move on.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I have read one free book for my eReader. I had a hard time getting through it because the plot was too contrived and the characters were uninteresting. I haven't read any free books since. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't mind reading them if requested, though. I'm just too curious!
BarefootBookworm
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barefootbookworm.html

Post by BarefootBookworm »

I agree with several of the previous posts - many of the free ebooks I've gotten have been poorly edited and painful to read. There are a few gems worth the struggle through the rest though!
I also enjoy many of the "classics" that are now free - Louisa May Alcott, Brother Lawrence, etc...
gbcmars
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbcmars.html
Latest Review: "Kissing Head to Toe" by Nikki Leigh

Post by gbcmars »

Well, certainly the quality (or lack thereof) is a very serious issue, but I think they need to be there. I'm a member of LibraryThing, which is similar to OnlineBookClub in some ways, and they also give out free books for reviews. One time, the Hachette publishing group put up a number of their offerings as free-for-review, and the difference between them and the self-published books was glaring: yes, the trad-pub books were better edited and had fancier covers and so on, but the self-pub books had a much, much wider set of themes and subjects. I'll wade through some dross to discover fresh, exciting work.
Latest Review: "Kissing Head to Toe" by Nikki Leigh
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

gbcmars wrote:Well, certainly the quality (or lack thereof) is a very serious issue, but I think they need to be there. I'm a member of LibraryThing, which is similar to OnlineBookClub in some ways, and they also give out free books for reviews. One time, the Hachette publishing group put up a number of their offerings as free-for-review, and the difference between them and the self-published books was glaring: yes, the trad-pub books were better edited and had fancier covers and so on, but the self-pub books had a much, much wider set of themes and subjects. I'll wade through some dross to discover fresh, exciting work.
You definitely have a point there. I'm also definitely supportive of self-pub books since I might want to do that myself someday.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Imautumnirock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imautumnirock.html

Post by Imautumnirock »

I agree with a lot of the other posts. As a reader, I have an eye for grammar and nothing annoys me more than to see someone's work in its fully published state and full of obvious mistakes.
dmoradi

Post by dmoradi »

Some of the free books are "meh". It is true that some of them are just recycling the same information over and over. However, I have read a lot of good books that were "free". As for the series, yes I must admit I got hooked on a couple, but that is more kudos to the author, for having the presence of mind to "sample".

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”