The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kate_Emme
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

The trouble with free books is:

Post by Kate_Emme »

There are always more (not free) books in the series! Ha!

Don't get me wrong, I totally love my Kindle and love that I can get free books. And I understand the idea that it is great to be able to read the first book of a series in order to find out if you are willing to invest in more (sometimes several more) books.

But sometimes there are books that are right on the line (to buy or not to buy). Yes I am interested in the story, the characters struck a cord and the plot isn't boring, but really I am not totally in love with the book. Do you sometimes find yourself reading a book just so you can finish it and see how it ends? Sometimes the free e-reader books are like that. I just want to know how it ends, but I do not want to spend money just so that my brain can mentally "close" that story down.

However, I have also found some great series that I have purchased the remaining books after reading the first one for free! I guess it is a give and take!
-Kate
TylerAudio

Post by TylerAudio »

It so is a give and take there Kate.

I am the type of person that if I find that connection with the characters, if the book happens to stir something up inside of me, chances are I will pay for that book for the simple joy it brings me. But I will say, nothing gives me more anxiety than an unfinished book. I have no idea why! HA!!
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

I agree with everything you said. The series i just finished is now one of my favorite and the first book was free. It was a good way to get me hooked.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
Tista

Post by Tista »

Yes free books come with lots of hassles. But some are good too. If i get to read a full novel for free then it's okay. But if I get to read a part of it and the remaining is left somewhere on a book shelf then it's annoying.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I hate it when they do that. I think it's usually just a plot to get you hooked in, when often the story had no reason to be broken into several "books." I tend to avoid series like that now more than before.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

I really agree with your statement. There are quite a few times where I've read the first book in a series, wanted to know what happens next, but was extremely disappointed to find that the next books in the series were $10 or some similar amount. I usually end up just reading the authors summary of each book that comes around in the series for the books that I didn't absolutely love.

I also have discovered a new series or two that I was extremely happy to pay the money for just to read the next books in the series, but for me that seems to be a rare occurrence.
krichardson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krichardson.html

Post by krichardson »

I have no trouble with free books. Yes it is good marketing to give the first book in a series away for free this helps to generate sales etc. I prefer the free book that I do not like to the one I paid for.
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

I've found that there's not always a series hiding behind a free book, though I've run across it enough times to now be on the lookout when reading descriptions and reviews before starting that download. As someone without a lot of money on hand, it's just the worst to become hooked by a tale only to reach that painful "To be continued..." where the resolution should be.

But once you've learned to see the signs of a series, finding free books is always good. I like to find authors that way, not stories. I'm more willing to pay for someone's book if I've read a free one and enjoyed it enough to want to read other works than pay for one when I'm feeling tricked.
juan_mccoy

Post by juan_mccoy »

Even me, i didnt had any trouble till now finding free ebooks, may be i didnt went depth or i am not a serious reader or have a passion for searching books online, still i got few interesting books online for free. I am just happy with them.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

Winter wrote:I hate it when they do that. I think it's usually just a plot to get you hooked in, when often the story had no reason to be broken into several "books." I tend to avoid series like that now more than before.
That happened with a series that I was reading and then to add insult, itunes didn't have the last book in the "series" because it was too "explicit."
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
misssunflowerblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misssunflowerblue.html

Post by misssunflowerblue »

I agree, but it's a great marketing tool for the author. Get you hooked and then you have to pay for further books!! Sneaky!
RebeccaSowter22

Post by RebeccaSowter22 »

I agree too, first free book always gets you hooked they end with a cliffhanger and you have to buy the second book to find out what happens, but definitely good marketing :)
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Nothing at all! It only fosters my love of reading.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
sglee425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sglee425.html

Post by sglee425 »

The trouble with free ebooks is that a lot of them are not edited well. I buy mostly free ebooks on Amazon and am not able to finish half of them. I'd say there's only about 10% that are really good. Those good ones are worth all the crap you have to wade through though.
Xayathone

Post by Xayathone »

I agree with several of the other reviewers. Many of the free ebooks that I encounter have not been edited well, and are often hard to get through.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”