The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
angelsfantasy26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelsfantasy26.html

Re: The trouble with free books is:

Post by angelsfantasy26 »

Yeah trust me I have looked. It's VERY rare to find the series at the library.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills, indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - The Vampire Lestat
AReintjes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areintjes.html

Post by AReintjes »

angelsfantasy26 wrote:Yeah trust me I have looked. It's VERY rare to find the series at the library.
:(
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

You will find some treasures in the free books as well. I have found several in the last few months.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Elephantom
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Elephantom »

Having a Nook really makes my life easier. A lot of books (and their respective series) can be found online in PDF form for free. I haven't paid for a book since before I started college, aside from the gruesome gouging I experience when I buy a textbook :vollpanik:
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I have tried reading quite a few free books. I think I have ran into 2 that were the first book in a series and have bought the rest of the books. Most of the time I end up feeling disappointed by the book, so that is why I haven't read anything for free in a very long time. There's nothing worse than feeling like you've wasted all that time on a book when you could have been reading something great!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
sarahmeeks
Currently Reading: Outside The Ropes
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahmeeks »

I have discovered many new writers with the free book program. I will admit that most are average or just above, but about 20 percent are golden. I think it's a great way to get indie authors a break and usually if it's the first in a series then I go ahead and get the rest right away if it catches my attention.
Karen122
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen122.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Karen122 »

I love the free eBooks. I look at it as I'd be paying for that free book and then the rest of the series once it sucked me in anyway so I might as well get at least one of them for free. If the book wasn't that great, I don't buy the rest of the series. I highly dislike when the free book is NOT the first book in the series though. Occasionally I'll download one only to realize its the 3rd book in the series. If you want me to read your series, and go out of your way to give me a free book, at least start me at the beginning!
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I personally find the majority of free books to not be as good. Usually, if the author has the book available for free then they don't find their work worth enough for people to actually purchase it.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree to some extent with what others have posted in this thread. However, I think the idea of free eboks is wonderful in general. Unlike going to the library I can find free books from the comfort of my own home. Many times I have found a series I enjoy due to receiving a free ebook and from there I have either purchased the other books in the series or borrowed them from my local library. Free ebooks are a wonderful thing!
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I have spent money on one series two times before I regretted it once, but I really do love free books. I have found many great series because of it. I also try to figure out if the next one will be good. I sometimes like the first book and read the summary and comments of the next book before deciding. You can find out some information that might be helpful.
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

It's definitely a give and take when it comes to free ebooks. Sometimes I'm lucky and find a great story. However, since many of them are self-published and lack the expertise of an experienced editor, you might find yourself stuck after the first chapter and totally frustrated with over-writing, wrong word choices, and consistent mistakes.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have found sometimes the first book is free and the series isn't all that good
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”