What and how are you reading?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
brianference
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What and how are you reading?

Post by brianference »

I have found the experience using ePub readers pretty good. I have tried out several of them and they have much different navigation and presentation but most of the free ones are pretty good and even superior to Kindle.
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

Currently reading The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare in "dead tree" version. I prefer reading those, although I love my Kindle as well.
MelissaMoore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissamoore.html

Post by MelissaMoore »

I have read thousands of books on my ipad and continue to keep going back to it after trying my kindle fire. It is easier to hold onto, toggle, and page. It all depends on what you are used to. I am an Apple girl so that is what I read from.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I have to agree that the Ipad is a better reading device than the Fire. Most people, when they refer to Kindles, mean an e-ink Kindle, not the Fire. E-ink Kindles have much better screens for reading and are small and light and hold a charge about 5 to 10 times as long as a Fire.

Amazon initially confused the issue by calling the first Fire tablets Kindle Fires. They soon realized their mistake and they've been calling them simply Fires or Fire tablets since the 2nd or 3rd model. Fires are an entirely different sort of device than Kindles.

Barry

Barry
HMarshall2016

Post by HMarshall2016 »

I read mostly on my Kindle Paperwhite. It took me a while to switch over to digital because I love everything about books, the way it feels to crack open a brand new book, the smell and texture of the pages, and even turning the pages while reading. I must confess, I love the Kindle Paperwhite almost as much as the real thing and enjoy the convenience of carrying multiple books in one light-weight device more. I just finished reading Emily Bleeker's When I'm Gone, I liked her book Wreckage, however, this book is of another caliber. I feel as if I really got to know the main character, Luke, and could empathize with his feelings and the events being described. The book is about a man (Luke), who just recently lost his wife to cancer and shortly after, begins receiving letters from her. Throughout the course of receiving these letters, it becomes clear to Luke that his wife, Natalie, kept some heavy secrets from him. Luke becomes entrenched in unraveling the secrets Natalie has left behind. Meanwhile, he must navigate taking care of his three children and putting the pieces back together after a devastating loss. The book is beautifully human in its emotions and paints a picture of how life can be at once ugly and beautiful as well as how life continues after loss. Although the subject matter is a bit bleak, I highly recommend this book as it is much more about Luke's struggle to make sense of his life after the loss of his wife, rather than her illness. It is wonderfully written, and kept me turning the pages eagerly until the end.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I have a Surface tablet on which I keep all the things I want to read. I put everything - pdf files, word docs, and text files on the tablet and keep the files on a cloud backup in case the tablet dies. I use both the Nook and Kindle software readers to buy and read books.

Since I am also an author, I like to read in the areas I write - fantasy, science fiction, and murder mysteries. I also like to read books on writing, and productivity.

I do love paper books and have a large library, but I have been going more and more to electronic media. I used to carry a half dozen books in a backpack when I was younger. Now I carry hundreds in my tablet. It's better for the environment, cheaper to buy books, and provides more accessibility.

Net win.
Wiliam

Post by Wiliam »

I'm reading paper for web. :)
Stephanieskye16
Currently Reading: After the Fire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanieskye16.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Stephanieskye16 »

I am reading "Heartless" by Marissa Meyer in hardback. "The Witch's Daughter" by Paula Brackston on my Nook app. listening to "A Darker Shade of Magic" by V.E. Schwab on Audible. I utilize everything that I can:)
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
mrssettlemyer

Post by mrssettlemyer »

I like a good book in my hand. I don't like reading on a computer.
Kathyoxford

Post by Kathyoxford »

I have an iPad which I like to read on. However, that being said I have both nook and kindle. I do prefer the kindle app over the nook, it is just easier to manipulate the text. As for what I am reading I just finished the Mindbender series by Carmen Caine. I'll be glad when she finishes the next book In the series, Rebel.
Jessika1331
Currently Reading: Blood Vow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Jessika1331 »

I'm reading Blood Vow by J R Ward on my nook.
Vulgate
Currently Reading: Conceived Without Sin (Pierced by a Sword #2)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vulgate.html

Post by Vulgate »

Just finished reading Station Eleven on my Kindle. Good read even though the book was mostly character development.
MsWright2016
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mswright2016.html

Post by MsWright2016 »

Currently I have been reading a Christian papeback anthology of novellas about Christmas Romances all set in the same state in this case, Wyoming. The final author entwined the 5 mini novellas. I sometimes read Kindle, and often listen to audible books that I occasionally purchase as singles, since I am not a monthly audible member. They were light and fluffy quick reads.
message4michelle
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-message4michelle.html

Post by message4michelle »

I recently rediscovered my love of reading after several years of reading NOTHING (unless you count Facebook or work-related email). Using the Kindle app and Cloud Reader, I've been reading a couple novels per week - mostly suspense, mystery, and dystopia.

Who knew there were so many great books to be read without spending a penny! With the help of Prime Reading, local library ebooks, and digital giveaways from Goodreads, I've been well stocked.
thereadingsloth
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereadingsloth.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by thereadingsloth »

Tai900 wrote:It's official! I am an Apple whore!
I have an iPhone, iPad and iPod. Right now I am reading an e-book by Christoph Fischer called Sebastian on my iPad's Kindle app.

I'd love to know who you are reading and on what?

I love having a book in my hand, but I also love to lay down and read in bed and my kindle is best for that. Honestly, most of the time I have a physical and digital copy of a book that I love reading. For example, I have the hardcover copy of Glass Sword, and a copy on my kindle (my current read as well) :D
(not the cheapest obsession to have lol) :techie-studyingbrown:

-- 12 Dec 2016, 02:05 --
message4michelle wrote:I recently rediscovered my love of reading after several years of reading NOTHING (unless you count Facebook or work-related email). Using the Kindle app and Cloud Reader, I've been reading a couple novels per week - mostly suspense, mystery, and dystopia.

Who knew there were so many great books to be read without spending a penny! With the help of Prime Reading, local library ebooks, and digital giveaways from Goodreads, I've been well stocked.
i love love love prime reading! One of the main reasons I got my kindle!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”