Kindle Paperwhite

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
annbetty
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annbetty.html

Kindle Paperwhite

Post by annbetty »

Does anyone have the Kindle Paperwhite?
Inishowen_Cailin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inishowen-cailin.html

Post by Inishowen_Cailin »

I have a kindle touch and I couldn't live without it. If it ever breaks I want the kindle paperwhite. My sister has one and I love it. You can dim or brighten the light to your own personal taste and there seems to be no compromise on battery life.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Someone loaned me one to try. I gave it back because I never used it. I'm a natural speed reader, and the paperwhite takes SOOOO long to turn a page. I hated it. I have a Kindle Fire, which is not good in bright sunlight, but at least I don't have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for the page to turn.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

I am not sure if mine is paper white. Guess I thought they all were. But I have the Kindle 3G and wouldn't 't trade it. The 3G comes with it free which means you can access Amazon anytime anywhere for no cost and don't need to worry if WiFi is available. Don't know why everyone doesn't have this version. It is so handy. You can also access the internet but the small screen makes it less handy than my iPad.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
kca4516
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kca4516.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kca4516 »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. I had a nook for a long time and switched to a Kindle when my nook broke (Barnes and Noble replaced it for free, but I couldn't wait to get the new one, so I bought a Kindle and sold the new nook). It's easy to use and I love that it has a backlight. That's super helpful for reading in low light or when my fiance wants to watch TV with the lights low but I want to read. Or reading in bed. It's just a great feature all around :) The paperwhite is also easy to read in the sun. Tablets are not easy to read in the sun because of the glare off the screen.

If you get a kindle, there are lots of ways to never pay for a book. The only time I pay for a book now is if it is a series that I already read and the new book isn't on any of the free lists. And that is rare.
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

Was scrolling through the topics and saw this. At the right time. I havnt thought I would want a Kindle as I love having the actual book in my hands, but I am finding that now I am doing reviews it may be helpful. (Plus I am a chef and could use some digital cookbooks). I have not been able to decide on one as having a backlight is very importatnt to me and not many I have seen has that option.

I will have to look into the Kindle White.

Thanks a gain for this..

Erich
BookCover

Post by BookCover »

kca4516 wrote: If you get a kindle, there are lots of ways to never pay for a book.
Will you please be more descriptive about the ways to never pay for a book...
your answer may help me decide which reader to purchase.

Many thanks!
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

anomalocaris wrote:Someone loaned me one to try. I gave it back because I never used it. I'm a natural speed reader, and the paperwhite takes SOOOO long to turn a page. I hated it. I have a Kindle Fire, which is not good in bright sunlight, but at least I don't have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for the page to turn.
Sounds like something was wrong with the kindle you tried or maybe the person who loaned it to you had far too much stored on it. Something which isn't necessary since you can download your books from the cloud at any time. In fact my paperwhite is so light I hold it in one hand and can touch the edge of my thumb to the screen to get an immediate page turn.

-- 28 Aug 2014, 13:05 --
BookCover wrote:
kca4516 wrote: If you get a kindle, there are lots of ways to never pay for a book.

Many thanks!
Go to the amazon website
In search type free kindle books and ton should come up. You can also see the top 100 downloaded free books by clicking on kindle books from the menu. On the left hand side of the screen choose kindle bestsellers. There will be two tabs you can choose - Top 100 paid and Top 100 free. I check it daily and have gotten some amazing things...for instance a completely free copy of the DiVinci Code.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Cazzy373

Post by Cazzy373 »

Yes, I got one for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

I love it! I find it easy to turn the pages and the light is good for reading at night without hurting your eyes. I have the official amazon case for it too and when you open it, it automatically goes to the page you were on so it's nice and sorta makes it feel like a real book.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

BookCover wrote:

Many thanks!
It's rather like reading paper books. There are a lot of ways to avoid paying for paper books, too. You can steal them from bookstores, you can steal them from libraries, or you can borrow them from friends and never return them.

Paperwhite? Yes. Actually, I have two. The Paperwhite is a lighted e-ink screen. All previous Kindles were unlighted e-ink. Kindle Fire devices are all LCD. I like the Paperwhites enough that I gave my Kindle Keyboard to a nephew and my Kindle Basic to a friend.
ashleecavitt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleecavitt.html

Post by ashleecavitt »

Hey there! I've had the paperwhite for almost 6 months and I love it. It's especially helpful at night when we're in bed and my husband wants the light turned off. With the paperwhite, I can still see to read, and I can even control the brightness of it which is really handy. The only thing I would say is difficult is trying to determine what "page" you're on. Also, there's no color, but then again, neither are real books so that's not too much of a problem. Overall, I would definitely recommend the paperwhite! :D
ConstantReader1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantreader1.html

Post by ConstantReader1 »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3G Wireless and absolutely adore it. I had "early cataracts" from inhaled steroids and would have been unable to read prior to surgeries if not for my Kindle with its text size options. I would have been INSANE with no reading!!
sweter1

Post by sweter1 »

I love my Kindle Paperwhite! I have an iPad and it is just not the best for reading, in my opinion. My Kindle is light (I carry it in my purse ALWAYS) and I can read in any light. I don't have the 3G so I do have to use Wifi with mine, but it hasn't ever been an issue since wifi is available in many places.
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

:D :roll: :rollKindle Keyboard is broken beyond repair. I love my Kindle and it works wonderfully so I don't see myself with the Paperwhite at this time. I do however like the features and would readily accept it as a gift!! :D :D
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

My Paperwhite was a gift last Christmas, so I have had it for about a year. I don’t know how I got along without it! It is so fantastic – I just love its many useful features and its convenient size. I never thought I would like giving up the feel of a physical book, but I am a total convert now. The backlight and touch screen are well worth the extra money. I personally like it much more than the Kindle fire because of the paper like screen. I find it much easier on the eyes for long reading sessions than the computer like screen of the Kindle Fire. I have also found the browser to be rather slow and not very user friendly…kind of defeats the purpose of its tablet function.

-- 06 Dec 2014, 09:27 --
BookCover wrote:

Many thanks!
I don’t know if I am too late to be helpful, but there are lots of options! You can filter for free books in the Amazon Kindle store. You can simply google search “free kindle books” and you will find several reputable websites that offer very large selections for free books. Personally, I don’t use these options much because it is difficult to find the titles on my very long ‘to read’ list on these databases.

My favorite is overdrive.com which allows you to borrow ebooks from your local library. Depending on your library, many popular books are readily available – this program saves me so much money. Other popular lending sites are lendle.me and BookLending which I have never personally used. These options also have their own forum threads if you want to learn more about them.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”