Reading Books with Sound Tracks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Reading Books with Sound Tracks

Post by miztree46 »

I recently found out about a company that creates sound tracts for books. Do you think this is a good idea? Would you listen to a sound tract while reading a book?
BreBunny
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brebunny.html

Post by BreBunny »

I play music as background noise while I read so having a soundtrack for a book already developed would be brilliant.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I personally would not. I prefer silence for reading, and I'd rather not have outside factors influence how
I imagine the setting/characters. That said, I still think it's a nice idea.
miztree46

Post by miztree46 »

I like the idea too but I think there might be a problem if a book is turned into a movie. A person might get annoyed if the soundtrack for the movie is different from the book's soundtrack. I usually like to read my books while it's quiet but I might buy a book with a soundtrack just to see what it's like.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html

Post by Winter »

It's true that it might be strange to have the movie soundtrack contrast with the book soundtrack. I don't think it would bother me too much, though, because it's a little like when they make two different movies based on the same book.

That makes me think, though, that movie soundtracks usually have various songs or variations on a theme that go with different scenes in the movie. I wonder how they would handle that for a book. It's hard to imagine that they would expect you to read at the same rate as the soundtrack, so I guess that either you'd have to associate a certain theme with a specific section of the book, or else just have songs that match the overall feel of the book.
sasha653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha653.html

Post by sasha653 »

I actually listen to music some of the times when I read so it wouldn't bother me and I find it a little easier to read the book although I connect better with the book when its quiet. I guess the background music would help people if they are surrounded by distracting noises.
colegrove
Favorite Author: Alan Partridge
Favorite Book: I Partridge
fav_author_id: 23513

Post by colegrove »

I listed a recommended soundtrack of sixty songs for my latest book, "The Amish Spaceman." If it adds to the experience, cool.
MeganebuKris22
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Maze Runner Series
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganebukris22.html
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman

Post by MeganebuKris22 »

I read while listening to music all the time so I personally think it's a fantastic idea! :D Though I do like making my own soundtrack for whatever book I'm reading at the time cause it makes me feel more emotionally connected to the characters and the story in general because its music that I like. So that's the probably I would have with a soundtrack for a book would be if I really hated the music and I personally don't think it fit the boom. It might actially detract from the emotional quality if you are too busy hating the music to even notice what your reading.
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I prefer silence for reading.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PrincessE

Post by PrincessE »

It would depend on what is on the soundtrack. Sometimes I find it helpful to have music in the background while reading. Sometimes I find it completely distracting. It depends on what I am reading and how much of myself I want to pour into the book.
wendyrelia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyrelia.html

Post by wendyrelia »

I find it distracting to read while there is music playing, especially if the music has lyrics.
TheBookMaven
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookmaven.html
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by TheBookMaven »

I think that company has a great idea. I don't know if I would use it though. I read pretty fast, so I think I would end up finishing a chapter before the soundtrack ended for it. I would try it once at least though, I could be wrong and maybe the timing would work out perfectly. I guess it would all depend on how it all works; I wonder how you would get suspenseful music at the right times since everyone reads differently. If it's just music though, and not intended to increase the mood of the book, then you could just listen to anything and not need a specific soundtrack.
Never judge a book by its movie
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I listen to audio books with sound effects and it is great because it adds a whole new level to the experience.
miztree46

Post by miztree46 »

TheBookMaven wrote:I think that company has a great idea. I don't know if I would use it though. I read pretty fast, so I think I would end up finishing a chapter before the soundtrack ended for it. I would try it once at least though, I could be wrong and maybe the timing would work out perfectly. I guess it would all depend on how it all works; I wonder how you would get suspenseful music at the right times since everyone reads differently. If it's just music though, and not intended to increase the mood of the book, then you could just listen to anything and not need a specific soundtrack.
You've made a great point.It will be a challenge to create sound tracks that keep pace with readers who read quickly.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I was once reading The Two Towers while sitting near a screen window at dusk in the summer. The wind was rustling the leaves of the cottonwoods across the street, and I could smell them too. It was a wonderful moment, perfect because I was reading about Lothlorien.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”