How many ereaders have you gone through?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Blak_Lotus
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blak-lotus.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: How many ereaders have you gone through?

Post by Blak_Lotus »

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite in January and it has held up pretty well.
stacy-jolley
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-jolley.html

Post by stacy-jolley »

Funny you should ask... I have gone through one extremely old Kindle and 2 Nook HD's. I am currently using my Samsung Tab E as my e-reader but I am contemplating purchasing another straight e-reader for my literature habit. Does anyone have any recommendations?
unnysoni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unnysoni.html

Post by unnysoni »

This is really bougie of me, but I bought a new ereader every time my kindle stopped working. Started with the original Kindle, that broke while I was at India, so I got the Kindle Keyboard, which broke when I was at Chicago. I switched routes and bought a Nook, which broke while I was at New York. Then I bought an old Kindle from a friend, and that broke when I started college. Now I've given up on ereaders and just use my phone lol.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I can sure vouch for the ruggedness of ereaders. I've had almost every Kindle since the Kindle 3. I currently have 4 of them. I currently have 3 Kobos and I've had about 4 more of them in the past. I've also had a couple of Nooks. All were e-ink devices. All of my former Kindles are being used by people I know. That's true of my former Kobos too.

Also I live in a retirement home and I've helped maybe a dozen people here get started with Kindles and Kobos and Nooks and I'm always helping them when they get confused.

All in all that's a lot of ereaders. All are still working. None has ever had a serious problem with the exception of a friend's original Kindle where the battery died and he replaced it. That's it. These things are tough.

I am fairly careful with my Kindles. I keep them in a case when I leave the house with them. About half the time they're in the case in the house too. I don't really baby them but I'm careful.

My first Kindle, a Kindle 3, is still being used regularly by a women who reads a lot. It's now almost 8 years old and it's working just fine.

By the way, I use my oldest Kindle as a loaner to other people in the complex where I live and a few friends. It's probably had the roughest treatment since so many people have used it. I showed it to someone today who's considering buying it from me. It's still working just fine.

Barry
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I had the original Kindle (That's how old it was it was just called a Kindle and there was only one model :o) and now I have the Kindle Fire HD 7 4th generation and I definitely reccomend it. If you are just going to use your Kindle for books though then your money would probably be better spent buying an ereader which I cannot give recommendations for since I have not owned one since the original Kindle
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

I'm on my second. I bought a second hand Nook Simple Touch last year, but since support for the Nook has stopped in the UK it was more hassle than I could be bothered with. I recently bought a Kindle Voyage and I'm in love with it. I don't see myself having to buy another one for a long time!
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

only one thus far. My kindle has been with me for about a year, and it has endured many long reading sessions. I take really good care of it, because saving up for a new one can be kind of a hassle depending on the price.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've only had two. I had received a Kindle as a Christmas gift years ago. I destroyed it within two months. Now I have my Fire tablet that I read books on. I absolutely love it because I can read books and do everything else on it too! I can even write my stories with it if I wanted too.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Four. I had a Cybook before Kindles even existed :D Then I had a Kindle original, then a Kindle 2, then a Samsung Tab 10, and now I read on my Samsung Tab 8.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I started with the very first Nook, then I got a Kindle, then I got a Kindle Fire. They're all working fine, even the Nook, which I got in 2008. I decided to get a Kindle because I was worried that Barnes & Nobles might drop out of the ereader business. Then I got a Kindle Fire because I wanted a cheap tablet and it was on sale for $20.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by KiMB00P »

Had gotten a Nook when they first came out but it had some screen problems within the first few days so I took that back. Then in 2009, they had a sale on the kindle keyboards and I received one as a gift. That one held up until I smashed the screen in my backpack last November or so.

I've been reading on my iPad but don't get the perks of owning a kindle so I just received my new kindle fire last weekend. :)
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

I had a Sony reader wayyy back in the day. It was ok, but I much prefer using the different apps (kindle, nook etc)
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Obiebookworm says - Question to both gali and catzkc: Once your readers die, is there a way you can transfer your ebooks to the new ereader, or are they totally lost?
I've had some of my smartphones and tablets die or been reformatted :o . I don't know what happens with my Ice Cream or Nook for android :eusa-think: since I just got them the past year but with my Kindle reader, as long as I have not accessed the Amazon store to manage my booklists (ie add/delete books) then my Ebooks are still in my kindle cloud. And can be downloaded again any time. :techie-studyingbrown:
sulaya

Post by sulaya »

obiebookworm wrote:None. I don't own one as of recent. Any recommendations?
havent yet but am on the move of doing that
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

My husband bought me an original Nook for Christmas the first year they came out. It is still working just fine, but last year I upgraded to a Nook HD. I like that it is also a tablet and I can put other apps on it...quite frankly, I read most of my books with the Kindle app on my Nook!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”