How many ereaders have you gone through?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Etario
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etario.html

Re: How many ereaders have you gone through?

Post by Etario »

I own a Kobo Touch (Not Back-lit) and it has lasted me quite well. I've had it for 3-4 years and I have never had any problems with it.
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Still on my first kindle after two and a half years and had no problems although the battery does need charging more often now. However, I don't read eBooks exclusively.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by obiebookworm »

I have yet to purchase any reader. Still looking for the most versatile one. Any suggestions?
Obiebookworm
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

obiebookworm wrote:I have yet to purchase any reader. Still looking for the most versatile one. Any suggestions?
I am very satisfied with my Kindle.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Still have my first Kindles - a 4th generation basic e-reader and a 1st generation Fire. I bought them two years ago and have no need to replace them.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
A24

Post by A24 »

I still have my first Kindle (w/keyboard). I haven't had any problems at all. My friend, however, has gone through many Kindles. Thankfully, always under warranty, she gets a replacement one.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Jeajud

Post by Jeajud »

I have an ipad mini and i used Ibook and kindle for ipad - i love it. I did upgrade or trade my original ipad or rather gave it to my son because the mini was more convenient to carry around to read during my lunch hour.
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

Jeajud wrote:I have an ipad mini and i used Ibook and kindle for ipad - i love it. I did upgrade or trade my original ipad or rather gave it to my son because the mini was more convenient to carry around to read during my lunch hour.
The iPad mini sounds pretty versatile. I guess I'm looking for one resource (like the iPad, maybe) that I can pull any ereader.
Obiebookworm
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

obiebookworm wrote:
Jeajud wrote:I have an ipad mini and i used Ibook and kindle for ipad - i love it. I did upgrade or trade my original ipad or rather gave it to my son because the mini was more convenient to carry around to read during my lunch hour.
The iPad mini sounds pretty versatile. I guess I'm looking for one resource (like the iPad, maybe) that I can pull any ereader.
The iPad is much more than an ereader. It's a tablet, and (IMO) one of the best out there. Very versatile and user friendly. For reading, you have a few options:

- There is iBooks, which comes installed on the iPad. You can use both epub and pdf formats in iBooks.
- You can install a pdf app (I have PDF Expert), which allows you to annotate pdf files.
- You can install the Kindle app, with which you can manage books on your device and cloud. If you have another device with this app (smartphone, Kindle, etc.) you can sync all your devices so you can leave off reading on one device, and later pick up exactly where you left off with another. Very handy! And it's free.

I'm sure there are more reader apps, but those are the ones I use.

Of course, preferences vary, and many prefer an Android tablet. I have a Kindle Fire as well. I like it, but comparing it to the iPad is like putting a Chevy next to a BMW. The only advantage to the Fire is it's smaller (I have the 7"), if you're looking for portability. Personally, I prefer the larger screen when I'm reading at home. But the iPad mini has even removed that advantage.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Lovely_Ink
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-ink.html
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey

Post by Lovely_Ink »

If I count using my iPad as an e-reader I am on my 4th. I had a Sony reader when they came out and loved it. Then I got a Nook which I replaced with a Nook Color and loved it. Now out of convenience I am using my iPad as my e-reader even though I continue to use my Nook for certain books.
Latest Review: "Olympian Passion" by Andrya Bailey
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

3, 4 if you count one of my smaller devices.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

PashaRu wrote:
obiebookworm wrote:
The iPad is much more than an ereader. It's a tablet, and (IMO) one of the best out there. Very versatile and user friendly. For reading, you have a few options:

- There is iBooks, which comes installed on the iPad. You can use both epub and pdf formats in iBooks.
- You can install a pdf app (I have PDF Expert), which allows you to annotate pdf files.
- You can install the Kindle app, with which you can manage books on your device and cloud. If you have another device with this app (smartphone, Kindle, etc.) you can sync all your devices so you can leave off reading on one device, and later pick up exactly where you left off with another. Very handy! And it's free.

I'm sure there are more reader apps, but those are the ones I use.

Of course, preferences vary, and many prefer an Android tablet. I have a Kindle Fire as well. I like it, but comparing it to the iPad is like putting a Chevy next to a BMW. The only advantage to the Fire is it's smaller (I have the 7"), if you're looking for portability. Personally, I prefer the larger screen when I'm reading at home. But the iPad mini has even removed that advantage.
This all sounds very encouraging!!! Thank you soooooooo much! I will definitely look into this (once my piggy bank fills up a bit more).
Obiebookworm
Victoria Jayne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-jayne.html

Post by Victoria Jayne »

I've only had one, the kindle fire hd and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure if it's technically an e-reader since I can go online. But I like it! Though, there's no way to organize the books originally. But I downloaded a book organizer to separate them.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

I am still on my original Kindle I got several years ago. I'm still satisfied with it.
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

I got a sony-505 in 2008, still going strong. Just ordered a new battery for €13.50 so i'll see how that works. I think the old 505 is great. It seems really well built, solid metal. And the leather cover it came with also seems really solidly stitched together.

The battery is down to about 3-4 day charge of good reading but thought i'd get the new battery anyway.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”