How many ereaders have you gone through?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Re: How many ereaders have you gone through?

Post by CCtheBrave »

i've never had to replace my kindle, but i don't think i read as much on it as some of you guys do. I still read more printed books than anything else
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Beccaa
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccaa.html
Latest Review: "Julie & Kishore" by Carol Jackson

Post by Beccaa »

2 kindle fires, one being the first generation and it quit charging :(
Latest Review: "Julie & Kishore" by Carol Jackson
extremelibrary
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by extremelibrary »

I got my first one in May and still have it.
zhodgman

Post by zhodgman »

Im on my second e-reader. The first was the nook and it lasted about 2 years before it finally gave out on me. I have a kindle fire now and couldnt be happier.
brooke
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by brooke »

I have a kindle fire HD and I have had it for about 3 years now and I love it. But honestly I would rather have a plain book, I find that the tablet screen hurts my eyes and somehow I don't feel as satisfied when I finish a book with my kindle. That may just be me being weird though. :wink:
seasickseahorse
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seasickseahorse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by seasickseahorse »

I went through two dud nooks and then got a Kindle paperwhite which has lasted me three years. Fingers crossed it lasts for many more!
Mgithens1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgithens1.html

Post by Mgithens1 »

I had a Sony ereader and now the Nook. Definitely prefer the Nook.
Bookaholic14
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic14.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Bookaholic14 »

I'm still using my first eReader, a Kobo Touch. I love it! I'm an avid reader, and even after three years, it still functions perfectly. I've dropped it, brought it to the beach, left it exposed to extreme elements (Canadian winter/summer/humidity). I've taken it camping; I've taken it to Cuba; I take it just about everywhere with me. I can download books directly from Kobo's website, and they're also affiliated with Chapters/Indigo. I also store all my books using an eBook management software called Calibre, so if my Kobo ever dies, I have all my books saved on my Kobo account as well as in my Calibre account. I'm tempted to upgrade to the Kobo Glo since it allows for night reading. For now, a small booklight works just fine wiht my current Kobo. I also love that Kobo supports many different formats of eBooks, so I'm not locked into purchasing books from one source or in only one or two formats. I loved my Kobo so much that a year later, I bought one for my mom for her birthday. She's also an avid reader. She takes it with her, including when she goes sailing. So far they've both managed to withstand everything we can throw at them and they still work perfectly.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. – Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
laurelise
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelise.html

Post by laurelise »

I'm on my second, though my faithful Kindle 2 still works and serves as a backup. I keep it charged and usually have my current book on there, just in case the new one runs low on battery. I bought a Kindle Voyage when they were released in October 2014, and I have never regretted it. The user interface is much improved from the K2, and it supports page numbers, etc. The refresh rate is so much faster that I get impatient when I try to read on the old Kindle. The page press button thingies (whatever they are, technically) convinced me to upgrade; I didn't want a touch-only UI.

However, I did feel a little... guilty?... for upgrading. My K2 and I have been so many places together, including two extended trips to Ireland, US cities ranging from Seattle to New Orleans, a really ill-fated winter road trip in Upstate New York, and three glorious days in London. It's been my faithful companion on planes, trains, and automobiles and held a battery charge through a week-long power outage. My Voyage and I have crossed the US by car, I suppose, and been on a couple of trips to Canada, but as much as I love it I'm not sentimentally attached yet.
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

I have two Kindles... my first was the keyboard Kindle. It's still fine, and I prefer it if I'm going to be reading outside in the sun. It's great for that. But my husband and I both upgraded to the Kindle Fire HDX and we both use them a lot, I more than he! I use mine for all my OnlineBookClub writing... comments, reviews, etc. In fact I have a writing program on it and do a lot of other writing also. I also copy and paste recipes and crochet patterns into the documents. I use my Kindle Fire for Facebook and Skype. Although since we got smartphones this summer, I now do those two things on my phone part of the time. I've had the Fire for over two years now and it's still going strong! I hope it stays that way!!! But I'll never give up "real" books that I hold in my hands and turn the pages one by one! We have LOTS of those and keep adding to our collection!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
kayper
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Fox flight lightfall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayper.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by kayper »

I have gone through 2
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChrisKauf »

Just a couple. I first purchased a Nook Color and really liked it; the granddaughter has taken it over now. I later purchased a NextBook and installed the Kindle app. I really like that one but it is having some charging issues. I have since downloaded the Kindle and Nook apps on my phone and laptop. I prefer the Kindle as it is easier, in my opinion, to find free books I want to read. I like their daily emails of suggestions, which I do sometimes simply delete. The Kindle app also keeps track nicely and tells me if I have previously purchased a book and I believe I do have some overlap on the two apps. I find the Amazon website more user friendly. I use the Kindle app almost exclusively now.
Xinceesay

Post by Xinceesay »

obiebookworm wrote:None. I don't own one as of recent. Any recommendations?
I had only one. Why are you asking, are they so fragile? Or you just used them in extremal circumstances?)
ChrisKauf
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriskauf.html

Post by ChrisKauf »

Not so fragile, I have never broken one. The technology changes very quickly so I think many people like to upgrade to get a better experience. I still have the first one I purchased, the Nook, but find it easier to find and purchase books on Amazon so now just use the app on my tablet. The only reason I don't buy from both is that I have a tendency to purchase a book I already own and Amazon will not allow me to do that but if I have already purchased it at B&N Amazon does not know to alert me.
Xinceesay

Post by Xinceesay »

ChrisKauf wrote:Not so fragile, I have never broken one. The technology changes very quickly so I think many people like to upgrade to get a better experience. I still have the first one I purchased, the Nook, but find it easier to find and purchase books on Amazon so now just use the app on my tablet. The only reason I don't buy from both is that I have a tendency to purchase a book I already own and Amazon will not allow me to do that but if I have already purchased it at B&N Amazon does not know to alert me.
I don`t understand what can be better than a gadget that fulfills your requirements. Even if there are additional functions in new models, it`s human greed and the desire to be better than others..)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”