Benefits of B&N NOOK

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
zactak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Benefits of B&N NOOK

Post by zactak »

Hey everyone!

I currently have a third generation iPad that I use to read. At night, I usually like to lay down and read before bed. I like to read without any contacts in or glasses on, but it's difficult for me to do that with the iPad because it is so wide.... I have REALLY bad eye sight. I have been looking at the Barnes and Noble NOOK Glowlight and the Kindle Paperwhite. I have used Amazon for many years now and I am rather partial to them. I used to have a Kindle Fire, but when it didn't have the features I wanted beyond an e-reader, I gave it to my sister. I love the e-ink technology and I like the idea of having a built in light.

I've heard that you can read any ebook that B&N has available for an hour free everyday if you're at a Barnes and Noble bookstore. I sort of like that idea, but I'm not sure if that's enough to swing me over to the NOOK side or not. I don't go to B&N very often, so I'm not sure how often I would use that feature. Do any of you that have the NOOK enjoy that feature, and are there any other features that you like when compared to the Kindle.

Thanks for your help!
lcbauer

Post by lcbauer »

I've had a Nook Color for a few years now and often refer to it as the poor man's iPad. I did a lot of research before getting one because I was getting a Master's in Library Science and had to write a paper on the future of e-readers. There is no B&N in my area, but Books a Million is a subsidiary and Nook users get the same benefits at their stores. I rarely sit in the bookstore and read though, so that would be pretty far down on my list of benefits. I will say that if you have a B&N account you get extended previews of books through their website even if you aren't in the store. I also have really bad eyesight and I found that the back-lit screen is good for reading in bed with or without the lights on. I also like it because it has an Android platform so any apps you could download on an Android phone/tablet will work on a Nook.
mikalamace

Post by mikalamace »

So is it true that you can read any book for free? If so, what is that hour? Does the Nook offer a paper like device? I used to have a Nook but was so busy with school that I never used it much before selling it. Now, I'm considering getting a paper-like e reader.
ajones2216

Post by ajones2216 »

I have had a Nook Color for several years, I would recommend Nooks to anyone who is looking for an ereader. The newer ones like the Simple Touch, I do believe they have the paper setting. I know that for me, the Color has a variety of different backgrounds that you can customize to however it sits well with your eyes, I have a terrible problem with lcd's giving me headaches and the Nook is great because i can dim or brighten the screen and even change the back color if the white is too much that day.
linzy206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linzy206.html

Post by linzy206 »

I received the nook hd+ ereader as a gift absolutely love it.....will not go back to paper books again.
M-Allmon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-allmon.html

Post by M-Allmon »

I also have a Nook Color. I've had it for years and still enjoy reading on it. When I'm reading at night, in bed, I usually dim the light and change the background color so it's easier on the eyes. When I found out I could read any book at Barnes & Noble for free I thought "Awesome!" But honestly I've only used that feature once. Previously I had ordered all my books online from Amazon, but I've never had any problem with Barnes & Noble. It's very easy to purchase the books, and I really like that it tells you other books by that author. I would highly recommend a Nook!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”