Should I buy the Kindle Paperwhite?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
LyndseyM84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Should I buy the Kindle Paperwhite?

Post by LyndseyM84 »

Hi all

I currently have a kindle ereader which I love in a case which has a light. I have been thinking about replacing it with a kindle Paperwhite.

Does anyone have one and would you recommend?

Lyndsey
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

If your kindle is working fine, no need to buy the paperwhite in my view. I have the Kindle touch and am satisfied with it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
cschaubfalls
Currently Reading: Epic Excellence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cschaubfalls.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by cschaubfalls »

I have the Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I wasn't sure if I would, but I got it as a gift and now I would not be without it.

-- 10 Nov 2013, 14:43 --
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I had the 2nd gen Kindle, and I saw no reason to upgrade until I saw the paperwhite. I got it as a birthday present and I LOVE IT! When reading my other one with a light, I had to keep adjusting it all the time, so I just stopped reading at night unless I had a lamp on (which my husband hated). When I saw the Paperwhite, I had to have it. Not only did the light change my world, but I love the estimated time left for chapters and stuff based on how fast I "flip" pages. I have no more issues with lighting. I can read it fine in daylight and now I can read it at night and the light doesn't hurt my eyes. It is great!
JaevenE
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaevene.html

Post by JaevenE »

Yes, It's amazing to use. Perfect lighting for reading and it's lightweight. It's great for a reader. Stay at home or on the go.
jellymonty
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Complete Series
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellymonty.html
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat

Post by jellymonty »

I do prefer the Kindle Paper white as if it feels like I'm reading an actual book and I'm not easily distracted unlike the ereader. The lighting is great because you can adjust it to your perfect preference.

-- 06 Dec 2013, 11:49 --

I do prefer the Kindle Paper white as if it feels like I'm reading an actual book and I'm not easily distracted unlike the ereader. The lighting is great because you can adjust it to your perfect preference.
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat
Mom_of_3_pups

Post by Mom_of_3_pups »

I have been seeing many commercials recently and it has piqued my interest. I currently have an ipad and the brightness level always needs changed and the battery is dead before Im done reading for the day. Does anyone know how the battery on the Paperwhite is?
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html

Post by buddyroo »

Amazon says: A single charge lasts up to eight weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. Battery life will vary based on light and wireless usage. Fully charges in approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable.

That said, I can read for several hours a day for about a week or so although I don't really keep track. It is at least a week.
Premature
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-premature.html

Post by Premature »

I also read on an iPad for a very long time, and while the brightness and battery were irritating at best-- it was still preferable to hard-copies for me. I would have gone on reading on the iPad indefinitely had I not cracked the screen. As soon as I sat down to read my first book on my Paperwhite, I was so happy that I did crack the iPad's screen. It is miles different and more convenient then the iPad. I have found myself reading a lot more efficiently-- no longer getting so distracted by notifications and such.
Definitely recommend the switch.
erinlaine322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erinlaine322.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by erinlaine322 »

For anyone thinking about the purchase of a Kindle Paperwhite, you will not regret it! I will start by saying that I read a great deal and I read quickly. I will then say that my eyes are very sensitive after quite a bit of reading which can lead to headaches for me. This is why I have always preferred a classic paperback book to a tablet. I then bought an old classic kindle from a friend and fell in love with it but was afraid to purchase the Paperwhite because of the backlight hurting my eyes. My boyfriend decided to take the chance and surprise me with it for Christmas. He deserves the "best boyfriend" award for that task because I absolutely love it. The screen is amazing and does not hurt my eyes in the least even after reading for hours! If you are considering this purchase do not wait another minute!
Butterflyre0725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyre0725.html

Post by Butterflyre0725 »

I have a Kindle paperwhite and ever since I got it I have loved it. It makes reading at night so much easier. I don't know how I went so long without one.
CThomas33
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cthomas33.html

Post by CThomas33 »

I didn't want to get an E-Reader and held off for years. I bought my first one in January and love it. I can tuck it in my purse and not worry about messing up the pages and the screen is nice. No glare and I can adjust the brightness. I don't have the ability to compare to other readers since this is my first one but from what I can see it's pretty awesome. I still love my paperbacks but I like my Kindle Paperwhite almost as much
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I have a Nook – one of the first editions. It makes reading a little more convenient, but I have been having some problems with it, lately. So much so, that I am having thoughts of buying a Kindle. There are so many versions of this product, that I am getting a little confused. What I like so much about these E-readers is the dictionary that comes with them. My Nook's dictionary isn't very good and I am hoping the newer E-readers have made some improvements. I read somewhere that Kindle's dictionary is also coupled with on-line Wikipedia. Does anyone here use their Kindle's dictionary? What are your thoughts about it? Which version of Kindle do you have? Does the Paperwhite have Wikipedia?
seasickseahorse
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seasickseahorse.html

Post by seasickseahorse »

The paperwhite is great, but if you're happy with your current eReader it's probably not necessary to upgrade. Still, if you read a lot and have the money to spend I doubt you'll regret it especially since it'll be easy to move your books to the new device.
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

I have a kindle fire, which is great for using like a tablet. I also use the Kindle app on my phone sometimes. BUT, I have found that reading on the paperwhite causes much less eyestrain and I can read for much longer.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”