Recommended free ebooks for kindle or Ibooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bibliophile_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommended free ebooks for kindle or Ibooks

Post by Bibliophile_25 »

I've recently read The Red Pavilion by Jean Chapman, and when I went onto Amazon to post a review I noticed that it's currently available for free for this week only!

It was shortlisted for the Romantic Novel of the Year Award too.

Here's the blurb as a taster...

Malaya, 1948.

Liz Hammond and her mother Blanche are returning to the rubber plantation they were forced to abandon at the outbreak of war.

The beautiful Malayan jungle and exotic estate of her childhood have remained in Liz's heart even after she was forced to leave it for the security of England in the war years.

But as Liz and Blanche travel out to Singapore they are met with tales of Communist uprisings, violence, banditry and, most ominously, Liz’s father’s disappearance.

Under the military protection of Major Sturgess and a young guardsman, Alan, they try to track Mr Hammond down.

Liz quickly falls for Alan, but she knows she can’t let her love for him overshadow her concern for her missing father.

She struggles with reconciling the treacherous country she now finds herself in with the paradise of her youth.

And she no longer knows who she can trust.

Old friends are called into question and new friends are shadowed with doubt as this tense plot unwinds with love, heartache and action.

About the author
Jean Chapman is a British writer of romance novels and a lecturer in creative writing. Her debut novel "The Unreasoning Earth" was both shortlisted for the Parker Pen Romantic Novel of the Year Award. She is also the author of “The Savage Legacy”.

It's also had a couple of very strong, positive reviews...

"I bought this book as a holiday read, expecting it to be an easy-reading chick lit novel set in exotic climes. I was sort of right – it was a very easy read and the setting of post-war Malaya certainly indulged my desire for a sense of the exotic, but chick lit it was not. The plot has been expertly constructed – fast-flowing, easy to follow but full of intrigue and mystery. The dangers and uncertainties faced by Liz and her mother keep you gripped, and the exploration of the mother-daughter relationships that is integral to the story was heart-warming. The romance was, of course beautifully conveyed, if a little predictable. All in all, the Red Pavilion is a book you can lose yourself in."

"An gripping journey through war, love, rape and death - a must read!"

Has all this whet your appetite because it worked its charm for me!

Search for the book on Amazon, and read the book for yourself...
superbookgirl1989

Post by superbookgirl1989 »

Untamed by Steven Jeral harris. I downloaded it for FREE. Booyah! The book was awesome. Let me find the website address...

-- 22 Apr 2015, 10:22 --

untamedthenovel.webs.com You are crazy if you don't read this book.
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Post by tiffanynettles »

If you liked the series fifty shades of grey then I would suggest the book Alpha. It not an overly long book but I did enjoy reading it. The book also through a a bit of mystery in with the steamer parts.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
glittermomma81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glittermomma81.html

Post by glittermomma81 »

I love the free books on amazon and use that a lot but I have also found a few other sites as well that have free books that you can download. Sometimes you have to change the format though for Kindle to be able to read it so I use the program Calibre.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

rhoneg wrote:I subscribe to BookBub and they send a daily email with discounted and free ebooks. You set the preference to type in your profile.
I absolutely love this site. I have so many great books for both my Kindle and Nook that I need to stop looking at Bookbub just so that I can catch up on what I need to read. It's almost as bad as going into a book store for me!
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
savilewis
Currently Reading: The Kill Order
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savilewis.html
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill

Post by savilewis »

I recommend BookBub. I am a SAHM so I do not have a budget for books. The site is free and it emails you daily free or discounted books based on your preferences you give them. It has been my best friend since I discovered it!
Latest Review: "Thunderstorm" by Sophie McNeill
TRCDFamily
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 570
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trcdfamily.html
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TRCDFamily »

Goodreads also has free ebooks that load right from the website. I haven't looked in to it too much so no clue if there are any good ones.
Latest Review: "Initiated To Kill" by Sharlene Almond
Nicolekailyn
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolekailyn.html

Post by Nicolekailyn »

Stone devil Duke by k.j. Jackson was a steamy historical read with a strong female character!
Amose13
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amose13.html
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King

Post by Amose13 »

literarycat wrote:
rhoneg wrote:I subscribe to BookBub and they send a daily email with discounted and free ebooks. You set the preference to type in your profile.
I absolutely love this site. I have so many great books for both my Kindle and Nook that I need to stop looking at Bookbub just so that I can catch up on what I need to read. It's almost as bad as going into a book store for me!
I have this same problem!! haha I have so many ebooks to read, I have to put a limit on the books I add to my kindle (My Calibre library is a whole other story!!) otherwise I'll never get through them!!
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King
steampunk_girl
Currently Reading: Turned
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steampunk-girl.html
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by steampunk_girl »

I would recommend Clockwise by Elle Strauss. It has a really neat concept and it was one of those books where I paid for the rest of the series.
"It is what you read when you don't have to, that determines who you will be when you can't help it."
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
bumblebea0830

Post by bumblebea0830 »

I read a free ebook on my Nook called Jenna's Cowboy. It was a good read. The characters were easy to like and it had a sweet love story in it too, along with a man most veterans would understand.
PeterTRoth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by PeterTRoth »

Go to amazon and look for public domain books!
Nostalgiadreams

Post by Nostalgiadreams »

you can find a lot of free books on project gutenburg, and i belive a classic romance novel, jane eyre is on it
Eustacia Tan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by Eustacia Tan »

Ok, this is not strictly for iBooks/Kindle, but if you don't mind downloading from the net and transferring the book to your phone/reading device, then Kobo has a free books list (https://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks/) It seems like you can search by genre - I saw free romance. :D Or if you have the kobo reading app (they still have the app, right? I remember downloading it a long, long time ago), then you can probably download them to the app itself.
book_fiend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fiend.html

Post by book_fiend »

You can download free ebooks to your kindle if you have an Amazon account. You can't go wrong with the Great Gatsby. This book has got to be one of my all-time faves. It's a tragic tale of how the protagonist's pursuit of his dream girl fuels his desire to pursue the American dream.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”