Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by craftshley »

I always get carsick while reading and rising in a car or on a bus. If I start reading before the vehicle starts moving, I can usually avoid this effect, especially if it's cold in the vehicle and I drink water.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
Dzahneen88
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzahneen88.html

Post by Dzahneen88 »

I do! I used to think that travelling time is a waste of time that I want to do something productive while I'm in the car. So I decided to read a novel from my phone (PDF) but then I realized it's really not good. I almost threw up. MY dizziness was really bad that I needed some time to feel okay. Not gonna happen again >.<
Daljr1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daljr1234.html

Post by Daljr1234 »

I used to be that way ginger ale helped
[McKennah]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mckennah.html

Post by [McKennah] »

I can't text, read, or even watch the scenery passing by outside when I am in a car. I have to either stare straight ahead.. or sleep ha. I get sick so easily.
317police

Post by 317police »

It is because you are reading using an e-reader. Try a standar book, put on sunglasses and earphones with music. That will keep you more focused and you wont get sick.

Josh
aubryab

Post by aubryab »

You may be able to try motion sickness pills? The ones used for those who easily feel woozy on amusement park rides. I think it's a similar concept.
jadecowan

Post by jadecowan »

I do not get motion sick but I like to be on my own so that I can concentrate on a book without getting distracted.
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

I don't get motion sick when reading in the car but I do get really bad headaches. I can only read for about 5 minutes. Sometimes I can read longer if I read for 1 minute then look out the window for 2 minutes... however that gets old pretty quick.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

For me it depends on what car I am in and who is driving. Most of the time I'm fine if I'm reading in the car, unless it is my mom that's driving (shes not the best driver in the world by far) and then I spend a lot of time switching between reading my book and glancing at the road, which will make me feel sick. As long as I completely zone into the book you could probably bomb the car with me in it and I wouldn't notice a thing.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I can't read either a paper version or an electronic book in the car. It makes me sick to try to focus enough to read in a car
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I am car sick.I can't read in a car at all because I feel dizzy and nauseous. I wish I could read though.I am in a car a lot of the time and for me not reading book is like wasting time.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
tloflin

Post by tloflin »

I get sick reading "real" books in the car but I can actually read longer using my Kindle. Drinking water, chewing gum or jerky, and reading out loud all really help me.

-- 18 Nov 2014, 16:10 --

I get sick reading "real" books in the car but I can actually read longer using my Kindle. Drinking water, chewing gum or jerky, and reading out loud all really help me.
librarydancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librarydancer.html

Post by librarydancer »

I also cannot read /text either with hard copies or electronics. Some of this may be a generational thing -- my kids have no trouble with books or electronics contributing to motion sickness.
JennReads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennreads.html

Post by JennReads »

I often get motion sickness - my kiddos do too! Pretty frustrating when you're on long trips & you're not the driver!!
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

I've never experienced anything in the slightest, its just not as relaxing and engaging as lying down or sitting at a still spot to read your book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”