Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
melbuhtoast
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Currently Reading: The Goldfinch
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melbuhtoast.html
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by melbuhtoast »

Oh my gosh, yes! As a kid, I could always read in the car, but at some point in my late teens it completely changed and I because horribly nauseated every time. It even happens on airplanes during take off and landing!
Latest Review: "Angry Enough to Kill" by S.J. Dunn
literarylover+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarylover.html

Post by literarylover+ »

I can relate! Sometimes I do it to myself anyway though when the book is too good to put down!
Stella White 47
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-white-47.html

Post by Stella White 47 »

I did when I was a child, but no longer. Possibly the problem was that Daddy was a chain smoker, and The Bobsey Twins were so fascinating, that I didn't lookup ffrom the page until it was too late and we had to pull off the road. I think I gradually became more aware ofthe need to look up periodically for a few minutes.

I have one suggestion for you folks. candied ginger. Much more potent than ginger chews. It is sliced ginger cooked in sugar syrup. It works for nausea from most any cause, and is known for helping with motion sickness. Also ginger beer. This is much stronger than ginger ale, which tastes good, but doesn't have enough ginger to do anything.
jkclay1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkclay1.html

Post by jkclay1 »

I didn't use to when I was younger, but unfortunately I just get carsick riding in the car and I'm in my twenties... It's sad because we do a lot of driving for more time than I would like. I hadn't tried audio books yet, but I imagine this would be nice in this kind of situation.

-- December 21st, 2014, 12:40 am --

I didn't use to when I was younger, but unfortunately I just get carsick riding in the car and I'm in my twenties... It's sad because we do a lot of driving for more time than I would like. I hadn't tried audio books yet, but I imagine this would be nice in this kind of situation.
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin
ayooizkimbo

Post by ayooizkimbo »

Dramamine would probably help y'all out. I get nauseous even if I'm not looking down. Just grab some Dramamine from a gas station, take one, and you're off. There's no side effects as far as I know -- just a bit of drowsiness. You'll probably want to take it an hour ahead of time, but hey, it lasts around eight hours and even someone like me can read that entire time.
Hope this helps ^~^
kezzstar24

Post by kezzstar24 »

Funnily enough I can sleep OK in the car, but if I try to read or play video games I get sick easily!
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I used to get terribly motion sick as a child, then for a while in adolescence I was O.K. reading in the car. Now I can't read more than a couple of sentences without getting really sick. I can't even read on the bus anymore because it makes me ill.
Elinor
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinor.html
Latest Review: "Love for Two" by Stacey Haga

Post by Elinor »

I always get motion sick in a car, and it get worse reading - try listening to music in headphones, it really helped me (it has to be headphones, speaker or the car's radio won't help). The pressure point bands for the wrist can also help, just remember to put them a few minutes before getting into the car and make sure it's tight enough!
I know a few people who said ginger (especially the sugar-coated ones) helped them, but I never tried it (I can't eat spicy food, so...). You can try and check if that works for you.
Lollipops and chewing gums can also helps (especially sour - try lemon flavored or something). Sweet flavored candy of all kinds can sometimes make it worse, so don't eat those.
Latest Review: "Love for Two" by Stacey Haga
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I do! I bring my physical books into the car to read but I always get a headache when I start reading. I try to read in the car so many times but it always ends with a bad headache.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
rune
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rune.html

Post by rune »

I can read in the car, or even on a train, due to motion sickness, its so annoying :evil:
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

I used to love having 6 hour family car trips when I was younger because that would mean I could get all of my homework and reading accomplished. Now, I can no longer do this. I can't even look at page without feeling nauseous.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Me too unfortunately. I have never been able to read in a car, or do anything apart from look out the window really. (Not while I'm driving :) )
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
fmetheny

Post by fmetheny »

I can not read in the car. I get sick to my stomach and get a horrible headache. Thus far, I have not found a remedy. The only thing I have found is to take a motion sickness pill before heading out. Give it about 15-20 minutes to take effect and then I can usually read for about 20-30 minutes before the sickening feeling hits. Maybe this will help.
dunappy
Favorite Author: N.R. Walker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Soaring Hearts</a>
Currently Reading: Dreams of the Forgotten (Sumeria's Sons, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 4294
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 35683

Post by dunappy »

I'm the only one in my family that doesn't have a problem with reading or even crocheting while riding in a car. I was always picked to be the navigator because I could read the maps without getting sick.
Abeer M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abeer-m.html

Post by Abeer M »

I always read while I'm traveling in the evening and after a couple of headaches the only solution that I've come up with is either; read in a very noisy environment ( :) I can do that.), or eat something before starting to read.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”