Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Chitopogi »

It is bad practice reading either a paperbook or an EBook while the car is in motion. That is one way to destroy your eyesight.
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

Sorry, I cannot help you solve your problem, but I know what you mean. I feel sick when reading as well. Sorry I can't help much. :-)
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

I can read for a good of 3-4 hours, then rest and continue.
strwbrry_Celestine
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by strwbrry_Celestine »

Yes i get sick or feel like vomiting while reading it's because of the motion and the car freshener :( whenever im in a car i always sleep so that i wont get sick of it. Except from public transpo.
patrickt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by patrickt »

Tedmorgan wrote:I can't read my kindle for more than 2 minutes in a car without get nauseas. Anyone else have this problem? Any remedies to suggest? I am stuck in a car for an hour a day and would love to be reading the whole time rather than look at traffic
Big time. I feel queasy if I think about reading in a car. I can read on a bus or an airplane, though. It's been years but the last time I road on a train I could read, too. It's just cars that are the problem.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I have to travel via automobile everyday to and fro from work and fortunately I don't get car sick. The only problem I have with reading in a car is that my road trips are too short for me to read any thing.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Chitopogi wrote:It is bad practice reading either a paperbook or an EBook while the car is in motion. That is one way to destroy your eyesight.
As in really?

I read books everywhere, including during commutes, and at times, even while driving (crazy me.) Fortunately, I still have relatively good eyesight (lucky me, I guess) and only use reading glasses when reading very small type (as in expiry dates on medicine bottles and the like.)
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I have done quite a bit of traveling and the one thing that I have always hated about myself is the fact that I cannot read in the car. I cannot even read when I am flying, but the car is by far the worst. I hate it. I just want to sink into my book on car rides but I cant. Sometimes j cant even look at my phone for more than a couple seconds.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I get car sick when I a reading as well - it is such a pain because I always have long bus rides and would love to spend them reading! I find that sucking on mints helps me last about 30-45 minutes but then I am just sick again...
III_Jasmine_III
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by III_Jasmine_III »

I DO! It's annoying because even reading short text messages makes me want to hurl after I read and reply to them! ?
~ J ~
Kovna Louis
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kovna Louis »

How about not reading in a car at all. Not only is it giving you nauseas but there's another long term problem with it : it can affect your eyes badly. Say the doctors, not me. I used to do that a lot as a teenage girl, in the bus, in the taxi, in the family's car when we were driving long distance to the beach... But I forced myself to stop when I read that warning about the bad effects it can have on my eyes.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I never read the moving car because it puts a lot of strain on the eyes and my head starts aching. Moreover, I prefer reading in a calm place.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

It depends on how curvy and windy the road is
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I read that the motion sickness you feel in the car while reading is actually your body's natural reaction to poison. The act of reading while in motion sends the same signals to your Brain as when your are hallucinating and so your body thinks it has been poisoned and needs to get the poison out which is why you get ???. I'm not sure how true it is but I read it in one of those 100 unknown body facts books. Interesting theory.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Chitopogi wrote:It is bad practice reading either a paperbook or an EBook while the car is in motion. That is one way to destroy your eyesight.
I've never heard that before. I guess my eyesight is screwed because I read in the car all the time.

For people who do get nauseous, you could always try things that are good for motion sickness/nausea? Ginger, for one. Have some ginger ale or a ginger beer (they are delicious). My husband gets sick in the car from reading and has used Dramamine for it, it helps but it does make some people drowsy. I've also heard acupressure bands are good!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”