Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Little House »

I have only gotten car sick a couple of times, usually in the foothills or moutains. But since I can't read while I am driving I listen to audio books. I wonder if headphones and audio books would work for you?
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
anabigbookfan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anabigbookfan »

I get carsick when reading too but I find that reading with the window/full blast of aircon helps with the nausea. also keep looking up frequently (i know not good for the flow). apparently the car sikness is caused by the ear and eye senses not aligning properly (ears senses movement but eyes don't)
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

I do, but only in the front passenger seat of a car for whatever reason. I'm fine to read in the backseat of a car or on public transit.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
bkjr-20171
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bkjr-20171.html

Post by bkjr-20171 »

I get bad motion sickness while attempting to read in the car. I can maybe read for a couple minutes if I am lucky, I can't even text or look at something for a long period of time while in the car.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I don't get that motion sickness, and I am able to read. But on long journeys if I read excessively I get a feeling of sickness in the pit of my stomach, so I leave off and look at the scenery instead.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Milly Ross

Post by Milly Ross »

Yes. Killer on the eyes. Even worse on an electronic device.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I have been this way my whole life, and my sisters thought I was crazy because I was the only one in the family who did! But since then, I have come across other people who were way worse than me.
I have discovered that I can't read in a road vehicle (car, bus, van, etc.), but I CAN read while on a train without any motion sickness. However, if my stomach is empty, I might feel a bit hot and dizzy after 10 minutes or so, and then I need a break.
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Totally. Heck I get motion sick just by sitting in a moving car for too long, regardless of whether I'm reading a book or not (though reading a book will certainly expedite the encroaching motion sickness to a matter of minutes!) However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out some time ago that I DON'T get motion sick when reading in a plane or a train, thank goodness.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Embracing_Madness wrote:Totally. Heck I get motion sick just by sitting in a moving car for too long, regardless of whether I'm reading a book or not (though reading a book will certainly expedite the encroaching motion sickness to a matter of minutes!) However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out some time ago that I DON'T get motion sick when reading in a plane or a train, thank goodness.
Ah! :shock: Same for me! Well, no, I don't get motion sickness in a moving car without reading. But the other things you said are true for me as well.
I completely forgot about planes! Planes are nothing! And fortunately, these days, I only travel by trains and planes (because I don't own a car...)
brucealmighty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucealmighty.html

Post by brucealmighty »

I feel nauseous and get headaches when I focus on anything in the car like a book. I know you can by travel wrist bands which can help travel sickness that might help you out. :D
HeneryKnox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heneryknox.html

Post by HeneryKnox »

I used to get car sick when I would read in the car when I was a kid. One thing you might try if you haven't is looking up often for a few seconds so your body can adjust. If that doesn't work you might try sucking on a peppermint candy while you are reading in the car, peppermint is great for soothing an upset stomach. The other option you can try is taking a ginger supplement or drink a ginger ale before you get in the car. Hopefully this will help you and good luck.
bookstorm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookstorm.html

Post by bookstorm »

I did but ow I know the trick is to focus on one corner of the book when the turns come and then i'll be fine.
rkelena2

Post by rkelena2 »

Oh it's awful! I can't read anything in the car without feeling nauseous!.....It makes me sad because I love to read...but me and reading in the car do not agree. :(
Liv_Rem

Post by Liv_Rem »

I don't get car sick but it does make me want to shift around a lot. I feel like I can never get comfortable while reading in a car. Also, I get really irritated when the road is bumpy and the words on the page are jumping around everywhere. Most of the time I get fed up and just decide to read later.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Yeah, I never read in car. It is so tiring for me.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”