Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Danielle_Brittany
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Danielle_Brittany »

The only time I ever got cat sick while reading was while I was in high school and I had absolutely no idea what was wrong with me..
passionatereader16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by passionatereader16 »

My brother used to get carsick all the time and reading would make it worse. How we we found a few things to help:

In the front seat, recline and cover the side window. Don't eat spicy things or dairy products, and stay hydrated with plenty of water. In the back seat cover the side Windows and if you can, lay down. He always said he didn't notice the motion much while laying/reclining. Hope this helps!!
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

I have been read to, and have been reading as far back as I can remember, because of this I have never gotten sick or nauseous in a moving vehicle. When I was in school I would read on the bus all the time :)
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I didn't when I was younger but now I can't go more than five minutes reading in the car before my head hurts and my stomach gets sick. It's so disappointing because I could be spending valuable time reading but I can't.
Tayner01
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayner01.html

Post by Tayner01 »

I feel your pain! I can read for about 20 mins then I need to put the book down. Although seems weird but the better the book the less nausea I feel? Maybe the key is too only read your favourite books :D :D :D
princesscharmingx
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by princesscharmingx »

yes! I fell sick (and have done sick) when I read in cars. I hate it!!! because when on a journey I have nothing better to do :(
amyghilton
Currently Reading: House of Furies
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyghilton.html

Post by amyghilton »

I don't get nauseous, but if I read too long in the car, I get a headache. We have a lightrail train in my city, and I absolutely cannot read anything while riding it, because I will get nauseous. I am not sure why that doesn't happen in a car, but I really dislike not being able to read when I am riding somewhere.
A P Bullard
Favorite Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: The Marriage Plot
Currently Reading: Anna and the French Kiss
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-p-bullard.html
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt

Post by A P Bullard »

I, too, get terribly ill when reading in a car. If I read anything for longer than a few minutes, I get nauseated. It's rather unfortunate when I'm a passenger on those long rides.
Latest Review: "Reckless Illusions" by Claude Dancourt
gervaisk
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gervaisk.html

Post by gervaisk »

Oh yes I do. I wish I could read when I travel but I just can't. I have tried reading in a book, on my iPad or even hand written notes. I just can't do it. For some reason the motion of the car while reading makes me sick and it's such an awful feeling. My kids can read and they just laugh at me. It's so unfair.
+Eevee+
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevee.html

Post by +Eevee+ »

Yes! It is the worst. I usually put my head on the window and close my eyes for a few minutes. It helps a little, but I've learn to just listen to music in the car and read when I get out and in a comfortable chair.
viktbloggerskan
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viktbloggerskan.html

Post by viktbloggerskan »

Luckily I've never had this problem. Both my husband and his daughter (avid readers themselves) get motion sickness when reading but not me.
asterdeaux
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asterdeaux.html

Post by asterdeaux »

I get car sick all of the time. The only thing that I know of that helps at all is the motion sickness medicine Dramamine. Peppermint also helps as well. I like to put some peppermint oil on a cotton ball and put it in the air vent.
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I can't even look at a map or read billboards in the car.
sweetly_twisted
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetly-twisted.html

Post by sweetly_twisted »

Chewing gum, like someone suggested, sounds like it might help. I'm so thankful I'd don't have this issue. It might help to change your text and background color? I love the Cool Reader app because it let's you change those things. It even has textured backgrounds.
higdons
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higdons.html

Post by higdons »

I get super sick reading in the car, but I love to read and it passes the time for me. taking half of the non-drowsy Dramamine sometimes works. It keeps my belly settled enough while letting me say awake to read.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”