Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kmichelle92
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmichelle92.html

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Kmichelle92 »

As much as I love to read unfortunately on long drives I am unable to read while in a car. Quite frankly I cannot even look at my phone while in the car without getting sick. I've tried gum and just about everything else Google has to offer. Does anyone else have any tips or tricks? There's nothing I would love more than to be able to enjoy a great book on my kindle in the car.
tnewman13
Currently Reading: A light in the Wilderness: A novel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnewman13.html

Post by tnewman13 »

Unfortunately I get car sick while reading in the car. Sometime even a map or texting on my phone can make me nauseous. Once I begin with an upset stomache, it's downhill from there for the rest of the day.
Kristin Brockman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-brockman.html

Post by Kristin Brockman »

I can't look down at my phone, a book, or anything else for any amount of time either. I always wished I could since I love to read so much. When I was younger we went on trips for doctors or the coast and it was at least an hour drive if not more. To entertain my brother and I my mom always had audio books to listen to in the car. It made the drive fun without getting carsick, by the time we got to our destination we didn't want to get out of the car. Audio books would be my suggestion for people who get carsick.
tnewman13
Currently Reading: A light in the Wilderness: A novel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnewman13.html

Post by tnewman13 »

Good idea
vwswims

Post by vwswims »

I get motion sick when reading in the car but ironically I can read on a train or a plane without any problems.
Mjsun

Post by Mjsun »

I'll have to try the bands. Whenever I ride in the car I get motion suck and sadly reading is out of the question!
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

Yes and I hate it!! I totally wish I could read in the car on our long car rides on trips around Europe!
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I get severely car sick unless I am driving. I cannot read or text or anything! So annoying! I haven't found anything that helps. Not even Dramamine helps me.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Smmendoza

Post by Smmendoza »

this happens all the time, i read once (to be honest i do not remember where) that when that happens you are supposed to shake your head side to side to regulate your equilibrium. Of course i tried this once and looked like a fool. I have a younger sister who can do all her homework on the way home because that doesn't happen. I also noticed that it only happens in small vehicles, because when i would go to school i never got nauseous in the bus.
Gabi669
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi669.html

Post by Gabi669 »

I have found that Dramamine the same thing you take if you get sea sick works well for me. I to suffer from motion sickness when riding in a vehicle for long periods of time. They come in tablet and in a band that you can also wear. I hope this helps you as well!
Ljsoso

Post by Ljsoso »

From what I understand, if you do a lot of driving yourself, you are more likely to get carsick while reading. When I was younger I could read any time anywhere, but not anymore. It makes me super sad that I can't do it anymore.
Yerdua11
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerdua11.html

Post by Yerdua11 »

I definitely can't read anything in a car! Even looking at a GPS if I'm not the one driving, can make me sick. I haven't tried anything to combat it in a while but I know there are motion sickness bracelets that are supposed to act on a pressure point on your wrist. You could try one of those, I think they are cheap. Good luck!
Fortheloveofreading

Post by Fortheloveofreading »

I get motion sickness very easily on any kind of ride but usually if I am reading in a car, it doesn't really bother me. If it starts, I just take a quick break then go back to it. :)
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Yes definitely. I don't get why either, I guess because your body is in motion and your eyes are also moving, but I also find that taking regular breaks and drinking cold water helps me.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

Oh I'm so sad to say that as an adult I do! I read all the time in the car when I was a kid, especially when we went on long road trips. I had not read in the car for a long time, but last summer my husband and I were traveling so I bought a book to take with me. I didn't even make it through the first page. I had to wait and read it when we got back home.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”