Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
zking
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: When The Devil Whispers
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 2455

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by zking »

In 1945 my family moved from Pennsylvania to Claifornia by automobile. The trip took 11 days. My sister and I were carsick all the way to Texas. My parents met someone who told them if we sucked on lemons we would not be sick. My parents bought lemons with hard candy sticks that stuck inside and were hollow to suck up the juice. The person said we should not read in the car with or without the lemons. We did not get sick from Texas to California.

Neither of us ever had car sickness again. As a young adult I could read on a trolley car and riding in a van. I'm in my 77's and can read on a bus. I hope those with car sickness outgrow it too.
c_medina
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-medina.html

Post by c_medina »

I get light headed when I read a regular book or magazine but don't have the same problem when I use kindle
pmerride
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pmerride.html

Post by pmerride »

I only get sick reading in a car if it's suuuuuuper windy or bumpy. Otherwise, I'm just fine, with real books or e-books! I love to read a nice long novel on a road trip (when I'm not the one driving, of course).
Shelbilyn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbilyn09.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shelbilyn09 »

Nope! That is one of my favorite places to read!
booknerd731

Post by booknerd731 »

I get I sick if I read in the car and have yet to find anything that helps. But I did start listing to audio books as a way to "read" in the car. I don't love audio books but it lets me still get my book fix on long car trips.
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I don't have this problem with ebooks, but with regular books I do.
Theta_sigma

Post by Theta_sigma »

All the time! I hear one thing you could do is tilt your head side to side to redistribute the equilibrium in your ears. I'm not sure if it really works since I haven't been out of town for a while. If that doesn't work, get some of those ginger suckers that pregnant women use for nausea, or just some good old Dramamine. Anything ginger helps.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

oh, I can't read anything in a car anymore. As a kid I could do my homework while going to the store. But now I can't even read the road signs without getting sick. Its crazy. I wish there was a way to prevent it, but I haven't seemed to find anything that works.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
steviejean
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by steviejean »

I'm the same, can't even read a text on my phone let alone a book!
I haven't found anything to stop it, I've resorted to audio books for travelling instead :mrgreen:
ncgroup2014

Post by ncgroup2014 »

I am SO glad you asked this question. I thought I was the only person who had this response to reading in the car. Now I see there are a whole lot of us who have the same response. Even trying to read Google Maps on my iPhone gets me sick to my stomach unless I just glance quickly at the phone. I ws really hoping the Kindle might be different, but after reading other commentsI think I will just save my reading for home!
sodipodium
Currently Reading: Prince of Thorns
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by sodipodium »

Anytime my eyes aren't directly on the road I get motion sickness. Unfortunately, that means I can't read in the car longer than a page and have to frequently look up to take mini breaks. Supposedly Dramamine helps, but I have yet to feel any benefits from it. I usually just end up frustrated and start driving instead.
urfavoritegurl234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urfavoritegurl234.html

Post by urfavoritegurl234 »

I get sick from reading in a moving car as well. As you said, sitting in a car you don't want to look at traffic, I'd rather read. As a kid, I never use to though, and I was happy with that as all my friends would be sick. Now, I can read for maybe 5-10 minutes and I start getting a headache and feeling nauseous.. Yep, definitely stinks
Brigadoon14
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brigadoon14.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Brigadoon14 »

I don't know if this will work with an e-reader, but it works for books. I used to get carsick because I looked down, but now I hold my book eye level. I haven't had motion sickness for about two years. I hope this helps.
cap78
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by cap78 »

I cannot read in a car or plane...I usually feel nauseas just looking at my phone for a brief time
caracorrenti
Currently Reading: Come Fly with Me
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caracorrenti.html

Post by caracorrenti »

Yes!!! I just discovered this last week when I was on a road trip up to the mountains. It was a winding road most of the time, and I was definitely nauseated when I was trying to read. What helps with motion sickness?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”