Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
booklovingolfer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by booklovingolfer »

No, but I don't get motion sick on anything except eating dinner at the Seattle Space Needle!
rkelly

Post by rkelly »

I cannot read in the car. It makes me feel sick. Any other type of transport, no problem but not the car.

-- 26 Aug 2014, 10:48 --

I cannot read in the car. It makes me feel sick. Any other type of transport, no problem but not the car.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

booklovingolfer wrote:No, but I don't get motion sick on anything except eating dinner at the Seattle Space Needle!
Does that thing move? Like, you're eating dinner while you're rotating? If so, that makes me dizzy just thinking about it, and I love things like thrill rides... :oops:
White Dove
Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Currently Reading: All in the FAmily
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-white-dove.html
fav_author_id: 4823

Post by White Dove »

I get very sick if I try reading in the car or anything else that is moving. I lived in a house a few years ago that was set among beautiful trees and had a porch swing. I could not read of the swing was moving because I would become so nauseated.
denisova04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denisova04.html

Post by denisova04 »

I cannot read in the car. Or bus if not on a motorway. Very gutted to waste that time.
Clrhbd

Post by Clrhbd »

It depends on what type of road I am driving on whether I get car sick or not. Even if I get car sick though I will put the book down just long enough to feel better then start reading again.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

I think everyone gets sick if you're doing something that requires your attention while in the car.
Maddy_Knapp01
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddy-knapp01.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Maddy_Knapp01 »

Even though I have reading glasses I still can't read in the car because I get nauseas and a headache. I think it's the bumpiness of the car because it's in constant motion. However I do give props to the people that can read in the car! What are your tricks guys?
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I get motion sickness when I try to read in a moving vehicle. I don’t know how people do it! About five minutes into reading or even just looking at something, my stomach starts to get queasy.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
CountryGrl

Post by CountryGrl »

My mother actually questioned me on this I was reading a book listening to music all while my mother was driving to Nebraska when my iPad and iPod finally died she looked at me and said how do you not get carsick. I don't know how but it kind of makes it a little bit easier on the road and it doesn't have me sleep for over 18 hours.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I can probably read for the first ten minutes in a car if I'm sitting in the front passenger seat. At the back I feel sick within minutes. Why is that - I mean, the difference between front and back? I've heard other people say the same thing as me, so there must be some reason for it. The back of a coach is the same. I've taken lots of school children on trips who can't sit at the back, even without reading! They always have to be moved to the front. Someone said it's to do with sitting over the back wheels.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

not a fix all but I make it cold it is better to have the window down then ac and then hold your kindle at eye level like you are looking out the window I don't know why tat helps but it does. Other than that I use pills to travel sometimes, and you can try reading a page then looking out the window for a couple minutes and go back and forth that seems to make it take longer before I feel sick
autumnbharris

Post by autumnbharris »

I get dizzy trying to read a map or a text message in a car, let alone a book! You're not alone. I have tried eating and Dramamine, but nothing works for me. I'm super sensitive to motion sickness in general though...
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

Reading in the car makes me so sick! I have trouble even looking down at my GPS to give directions to the driver when I'm playing navigator! It gets even worse when it's hot or the sun is shining directly on me.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Sometimes I do--it depends on how fast the car is going and how recently I've eaten. I've noticed that it's the worst right after a heavy meal.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”