Tablet or ereader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
annbetty

Tablet or ereader

Post by annbetty »

Do you like to read on a tablet or an ereader?
blingforfun
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blingforfun »

There was a time when eReaders and tablets occupied very separate places in the device market. eReaders downloaded and displayed books — simple — while tablets took on the more complicated task of running interactive apps, playing video and accessing the Internet.

Well, that isn't the case anymore. eReaders are beginning to encroach on tablet territory with color touch screens and Internet browsing capabilities, while tablets are looking to outdo eReaders in the way they display books.

Even so, there are still many differences in the functionality of eReaders and tablets and a lot of differences between the different types of models in each category. The best way to approach the decision is to work out what it is you want to do.

Let's start with the most basic functionality of both eReaders and tablets. You may wonder why anyone chooses an eReader when they could have a tablet. One reason is price — tablets can cost up to $500 more than the most basic eReader — but another is the way both devices display books.
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

When reading for a long time in one sitting, I prefer an e-reader because of its E-ink display and better battery life. Tablets are great for a lot of things, but for me they just aren't that great for reading for extended periods of time. For me, at least.

Also the smudges created from using a touch screen really bug me when trying to read...
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

9bit wrote:When reading for a long time in one sitting, I prefer an e-reader because of its E-ink display and better battery life. Tablets are great for a lot of things, but for me they just aren't that great for reading for extended periods of time. For me, at least.

Also the smudges created from using a touch screen really bug me when trying to read...
Never thought of that but it would drive me bananas. I will stick with my basic Kindle :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

9bit wrote:When reading for a long time in one sitting, I prefer an e-reader because of its E-ink display and better battery life. Tablets are great for a lot of things, but for me they just aren't that great for reading for extended periods of time. For me, at least.

Yes, that is exactly what I have read in comparison reviews.I love the feeling of comfort my E-ink Kindle gives my eyes,after being on the PC for awhile,so no way would I switch. Tablets are probably great for those who want portable internet, but even there I believe I would either have a smart phone or stick with my laptop PC.
Cortney831
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cortney831.html

Post by Cortney831 »

annbetty wrote:Do you like to read on a tablet or an ereader?
I would definitely vote tablet! It can be used as an ereader and sooooo much more! I use an iPad.
prettymuchbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettymuchbooks.html

Post by prettymuchbooks »

eReader as I don't own a tablet and I'm not interested in getting one.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by booklvr62 »

I have to wonder how long can one read on a tablet and not have eye-strain? I can read for hours in comfort with my Kindle.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

By far, for me at least, the answer is e-reader. The look and feel for the eyes is much more natural. I have resorted to smartphone/tablet reading on the rare occasions that my e-reader runs out of battery and I'm on the bus, but am always eager to get back to the Kobo rather than keep going on the tablet.
peterdonovan
Favorite Author: Arthur C Clarke
Favorite Book: A Fall of Moondust
Currently Reading: The Long Earth

Post by peterdonovan »

I have a kindle Paperwhite and an iPad. the Paperwhite is much better for reading, especially in bed, as it weighs much less than the iPad, so when you nod off you don't break your nose as you do when an IPad smacks you in the face.
Gresca
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gresca.html

Post by Gresca »

I think the kindle paperwhite is best. There is no back light so the battery life is superb and you can read it all day or in the car with out your eyes burning. I tried using kindle on the tablet and it's horrible. At least for me anyway.
Speed reader

Post by Speed reader »

I haven't ever used an ereader, but I sure do love my iPad reading apps. I find it helpful to surf the Internet and be able to use the different apps while I shop around for books. :P
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

I primarily read using my iPhone, so I guess... A tablet? Sort of? Either the print's too small or the page count goes berserk, but it's wonderfully convenient and I always have a library of good reads in my pocket.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid

Post by Misaela »

I have a tablet, but would like to try an e-reader.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
AVanderoef
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avanderoef.html

Post by AVanderoef »

I have them all. I originally had a Sony e-reader (3 in fact, they kept cracking). The technology was very new at the time so it was a good first but the book selection was not up to par. then I moved on to the original Kindle. This was great tons of books (thank you Amazon) and could go anywhere especially the beach which is where I do all my summer reading.

Moved onto the Kindle Fire. This was what I thought would be my answer to the iPad. I was wrong. The Kindle Fire is not really a tablet. It is a supped up e reader. It has web capabilities and apps but it is Amazon owned and operated. If Amazon does not control it, it does not install on the Fire. So I would say it's a great e reader with a bonus web browser.

So in answer to your question, it depends. Are you looking for something to read eBooks on? Do you want to be able to look things up on the web? Do you want a mini computer? You have to answer these questions before you can figure out which way you want to go.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”