Tablet or ereader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Re: Tablet or ereader

Post by Enigma »

I'm on a tablet now. But I read books on my Kindle
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
K08nr01
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k08nr01.html
Latest Review: "Percarus" by Lexmilian de Mello

Post by K08nr01 »

I definitely prefer keeping the tablet and Ereader separate. I made an attempt to read on the Kindle Fire, but the LED light gave me a headache very quickly.
Latest Review: "Percarus" by Lexmilian de Mello
Starmy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Starmy »

K08nr01 wrote:I definitely prefer keeping the tablet and Ereader separate. I made an attempt to read on the Kindle Fire, but the LED light gave me a headache very quickly.
I have this problem too. Mostly with reading from the laptop. :evil:
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
fav_author_id: 6670

Post by deanfromaustralia »

I am a tablet devotee because I write as well as read on mine (a Samsung Galaxy Tab by the way). I can't the eye strain issue has ever been a factor for me because I simply tweak the display settings to compensate for whatever light I am reading in. Curiously, I find reading in negative (ie. text white, background dark) to be the most preferred setting.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I suppose reading in negative displays even less light and causes less strain.
deanfromaustralia
Favorite Author: Simon Winchester
Favorite Book: The Map That Changed The World.
fav_author_id: 6670

Post by deanfromaustralia »

Misaela wrote:I suppose reading in negative displays even less light and causes less strain.
It does - and it causes less issues with the wife ;)

She's quite happy to *allow* me to read as much as I like now.
greenasterisk

Post by greenasterisk »

It depends. For short term reading, I prefer tablets. They are color rich and provide a great experience. But for long form reading I wouldn't advise them because they lead to eye strain.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I was thinking of getting a tablet, a bonus being able to install the Kindle App. But I don't think I will get one now. Maybe I will just update my Kindle
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

deanfromaustralia wrote:
Misaela wrote:I suppose reading in negative displays even less light and causes less strain.
It does - and it causes less issues with the wife ;)

She's quite happy to *allow* me to read as much as I like now.
Yes, reading in the dead of the night can wake my husband up.
Ms Frizz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-frizz.html

Post by Ms Frizz »

I started reading ebooks on a tablet, but eventually got a used Kindle for less than $50 on eBay. I read ebooks a lot in the gym and was constantly worried about dropping or having my $350 tablet fall and break. Plus, the battery lasts much longer and the matte display of the Kindle is easier on my eyes. I use my tablet more like a little computer than an ebook reader.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

If I start relying on a tablet for getting my dose of reading then I'll soon have to give up reading because my eyes won't allow that. My ebook reader is my most prized possession and my savior.. I actually started reading more becoz of my PRS T2 :)
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

Tablet! Why? Because I think that since I'm paying about 100 $ for an eReader when there are tablets that can do much more than 'only' read at that price, I might as well take the one with more possibilities. Which I did. And I love it! I read perfectly well and when I'm done reading I can calmly surf the Net for fun or play small games when I'm not at home (I'm quite the gamer so I have many consoles).
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
GemmellFan13

Post by GemmellFan13 »

I love my tablet since I can also use it for more than just reading. I can even hook it up to my tv to watch free movies :D

I dont think getting an ereader makes much sense since I can read using the kindle app.
jayensmi

Post by jayensmi »

I love my tablet. I also have a kindle but perfer a tablet because I can do so many more things on it.
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

I personally found tablets to be too distracting.

I've had a basic Aluratek Libre Pro ereader for many years now and it is by far my favorite to date. I tried the first geneeration Kobo ereader when it first came out and as I am one of those unfortunate people who drain batteries by touching a device for too long, I found it quite tedious to work with. I also get bored fairly quickly so the slow lag time to change pages made me give up on it within the first few days. That is when I moved to my basic model Aluratek and fell in love. It has the abiility to play music while reading but I find it distracting. Today I purchased my first Kindle (no touch screen for me thanks) and though I haven't spent any time reading on it yet, I find the features for organising to be a huge bonus.

I found the tablet I purchased died much faster than a dedicated ereader and I kept playing games instead. Instead of making anything in my life easier, it took away from it; as I continually was playing around with it.

In short I found tablets distracting and much prefered my cheap run of the mill tablet that anyone should be able to handle regardless of computing background with only minimal training.
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”