Tablet or ereader

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ronrogers
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Tablet or ereader

Post by ronrogers »

Well, that isn't the case anymore. eReaders are beginning to encroach on tablet territory with color touch screens and Internet browsing capabilities, while tablets are looking to outdo eReaders in the way they display books.
Staceylhines
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-staceylhines.html
Reading Device: B0054OWZVY

Post by Staceylhines »

Love my tablet! Had both ereader and tablet for a while, but now like the convince of the tablet with the ereader app
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I own a Kindle keyboard and a Kindle Fire. I prefer to read on the Kindle because it is not back-lit and doesn't hurt my eyes anymore than a regular book would. Plus, like someone else mentioned, I can read outside without glare.
My Kindle Fire is good to read at night in the bed because it is back-lit, so I don't have to turn the light on and wake the hubby. It also has some interesting reading features. The problem is that the Fire is a tablet and there are too many other distracting things on there that I end up looking at instead of reading. For me personally, my regular Kindle wins. I guess if my old Kindle ever dies I will get one that is the least tablet like.
bugsychaos0417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bugsychaos0417.html

Post by bugsychaos0417 »

I read some of my books on my Kindle app on an old phablet I have, but I am considering purchasing a tablet if I can find one that I like. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I would like the larger screen a tablet offers.

Any suggestions for tablets in the $100 range?
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Novelbound »

bugsychaos0417 wrote:I read some of my books on my Kindle app on an old phablet I have, but I am considering purchasing a tablet if I can find one that I like. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I would like the larger screen a tablet offers.

Any suggestions for tablets in the $100 range?
I do know that Kindles have a feature where you can adjust the text size and make it a large print. I think that would be very helpful. The regular Kindle and the paperwhite, and some of the Kindle Fires are in that price range or below.
Amandafay
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Amandafay »

I like to read on my tablet. I use both nook and Kindle apps to choose and read book's. I don't have anything against e-readers, I just like using what I have.
egymalika
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egymalika.html

Post by egymalika »

Though I do read on tablets sometimes, I much prefer the feel of pages between my fingers. I don't know why but real books also catch my attention more than the tablet. The electronic version seems to distract me.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I read ebooks through my iPhone so i guess it can be categorized as a tablet? I don't have an ereader but I'm planning to get one someday, a Kindle ereader to be specific.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
wuliwawa
Currently Reading: Mothers and Other Liars

Post by wuliwawa »

Mine is an old kindle.
I have had it for 2 or 3 years .
I love reading on my kindle very much.
In my opinion, kindle is much better for reading , while tablets are good for watching videos and pictures.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I cannot stand reading on a tablet! I think the glare (even with the brightness turned down) strains my eyes so badly! I use a kindle and really love the paperwhite screen - it really does look just like a book page. I also work on a computer all day at my job, so that may be part of the reason the tablet is too difficult for me to read.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I prefer neither, and tend to stick to my phone. It works perfectly with the kindle app.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
SandraH
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandrah.html

Post by SandraH »

I have a Samsung tablet, but I have considered getting a Kindle for a long time. Reading for a long time using my tablet makes my eyes burn. I wonder if anyone here has the Kindle Fire and if so is it a good choice for reading? Is the Kinde Paperwhite better? I am considering getting the Kindle Fire because Amazon has a great price on them right now.
curious_daisy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-daisy.html

Post by curious_daisy »

Ereader all the way. It's a whole different experience hehe :D
bungogirl
Currently Reading: Code Name: Nanny
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bungogirl.html

Post by bungogirl »

I use the kindle app on my iPad most of the time and use my iPhone when I don't have my iPad easily accessible.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

Tablet for me. I got it so I could type lecture notes in a lecture without having to try and read rushed handwriting afterwards - and to write stories during long train rides before I moved closer to uni. It's more multifunctional on the whole: a e-reader from my understanding only allows you to read. A tablet lets you read, write and use apps (though I say that and I have a Surface RT which is pretty restricted in what apps it can use and is pretty much stuck on windows office and internet and nothing else, but it's all I need for uni barring the ability to run tutorial videos...). Having said that, it depends on what you want out of the device. I got it to write and reading was a bonus, hence why the e-reader wasn't on the table. Right now, if I need a new device, I'd probably go with another tablet...or even a cheap compact laptop. Easier to type with a laptop and built in keyboard than an external one, and more stable in lecture theatres and on laps and I can read and write with them. That's a practicality thing though. For curling up on the couch, a tablet or reader would be better.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”