Did You Know There Are Borrowing/Lending Sites for eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Re: Did You Know There Are Borrowing/Lending Sites for eRead

Post by cmp librarian »

Lots of libraries have ereader lending sites now too. It's great to be able to share resources like that for free. However, I still prefer "real" books with pages, spines, covers, etc. That you can hold, touch. Something about it just makes the reading experience better for me. But I'm not opposed to ereaders.
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have enrolled in these websites.I have a kindle app on my computer and my kindle is coming today in the mail!It has worked for me so far(save a lot of money) and I’m quick reader.I totally recommend this to anyone.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
LizTrull
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LizTrull »

This is so good to know! I have borrowed ebooks from the library before but didn't realize there are other sites for it as well. I'll definitely be looking into this . Thanks for the information!
dememusicaddict
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dememusicaddict.html

Post by dememusicaddict »

You could also check out netgalley which lets you borrow ebooks and then review them (similar to this site)!
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I love using overdrive for my Kindle. My bank account can’t always keep up with my reading habit so I it has saved me a lot of money in the year that I have had my Kindle. I did not know about these other lending sites, thank you for sharing these resources!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
sieting_gough

Post by sieting_gough »

One of the nice things about having the auther permit some of their books for a short period of time is that it helps them to gain a greater audience. I know I can say personally that I have borrowed an ebook and because I liked it so much, I was happy to buy the book, and even to spread the word about a new author that I had become interested in. So there are definite benefits both to the reading enthusiast as well as the author. You would think that it would be a popular publicity idea, for example, when a new seiries was coming out. If you were to be able to borrow the first book for free and you really liked it, then you would not be hesitant to buy and read the whole series as it came out.
While it may be true that there would be some who would try to abuse this system, these are not the true reading enthusiasts. The real reading lovers, love books enough to keep it honorable. I own hundreds of free books on my kindle and I borrow tons. I don't think it in any way changes whether or not I am willing to read a book I have to pay for. If I want to read the book and I can borrow it, cool. If it's a really good book, I may do the same thing that I do with physical books. I will buy that book so that I have the joy of reading it over and over again and putting my own notes and comments in the margins. :)
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

That is fantastic news. I have been wondering if there were any programs or aps out there similar to netflix, but for books. Must check out all the info in this. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

How have been on this site for so long and never read this thread before?

I feel like all of the problems of my life have just been solved. 8)
pamdellinger

Post by pamdellinger »

I borrow books from the public library and I love it because it is free and I can read all the time. The problem is when I am on hold for titles and the people in front of me read at s much slower rate than I do and I get frustrated waiting because I tend to read books in series or with the same characters.
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I love to borrow books on my Kindle. I can do it from anywhere, so if I am on the go, it is easy.
Bernadette
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernadette.html

Post by Bernadette »

That's cool, I didn't know that. I'll definitely try to borrow some eBooks :D
puppyxprincess

Post by puppyxprincess »

Wow, I did not realize that this was an option through public libraries! I am definitely going to have to check this out to save some $! ;) Thanks for sharing!
kim950
Currently Reading: Down the Rabbit Hole
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim950.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kim950 »

wow, really interesting. i think our libraries are behind with this source
davidlog

Post by davidlog »

Wow thank you its really a new thing for me, I will check that now
Thanks again!
Chris3kids

Post by Chris3kids »

I didn't know there were lending sights for ebooks. How do I do it if I have Google. I go to my Google play store to buy my ebooks where do go to borrow them? And I don't know what an ereader is. Can anyone explain? Yes I know I'm way behind on the times but I just prefer real books. Computers tend to wig out in my presence. And no I do not live under a rock.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”