Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AetherPirate
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by AetherPirate »

Having just wrote an e-book, I am tempted say that... however I do prefer physical books. And with the holidays approaching, giving someone an e-book feels like giving them nothing, unless you also buy them an e-reader. Looking at createspace on amazon to see about printing books on demand. The cover design aspect of it is quite daunting.
SeasonOfOpportunity
Currently Reading: Chasing Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by SeasonOfOpportunity »

Paper!!! I do occasionally read an Ebook. Usually at night when it's just too dark in the room to see and my flashlight batteries are dead. But there's just nothing like the feel of a book and the enjoyment of turning the pages, using a cute bookmark, and depending on the book underlining.
eddierodgers1991
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eddierodgers1991 »

I enjoy reading both personally,I love reading the book in read the smell of paper and the feel of the pages. It is truly a wonderful sensation. However on the flip of that note, the convents of the ereader is also a wonderful thing. To have so many books are the fingertips it is a nice thing.
Ragam Mubashshir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragam-mubashshir.html

Post by Ragam Mubashshir »

Ebooks r preferable when unable to carry d whole lot of collection along. It's no compromise on reading without weight of books. But at leisure of home holding a book feels really good... Something more nostalgic
angiemac
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by angiemac »

I still like a paper book. Something about turning the pages and seeing my progress as I read. I do have an eReader and will use it for quick reads or books that I am unsure of. I confess if a eReader book turns out great I will buy it in paperback.
Callie45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callie45.html

Post by Callie45 »

I resisted owning a Kindle for many years. In fact, I just received my first, and only, Kindle last Christmas. I was resistance because, like previously state, I love books. Preferably trade paper. The smell, the feel not only of the pages but the cover. And the beautiful artwork on most of the covers, well that's a whole new forum topic. My husband gave me one last year with the thought that it would save a lot of shelf space; although he is right, and I do use my kindle, I still prefer a book. I get frustrated because of the need to charge my kindle, the constant need to reset it so it will charge and hold the charge, etc. Books are easier and user friendly. I don't need to remember to bring a cord with a book either :) That said, I have more than 300 books on my kindle. LOL Now I choose which to use by the cost of the book I want to buy. Is it cheaper in paper or digital form? That's the one I buy.
monique89
Currently Reading: The Choice
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by monique89 »

I love paper books. The feel of the pages and weight of the book in my hands helps get me into the reading mindset and gets me away from the electronics that fill my daily life.
AetherPirate

Post by AetherPirate »

Just create-spaced my ebook into a paperback. Feels awesome to hold the book, it's real now.
deloris_what94
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deloris-what94.html

Post by deloris_what94 »

I like ebooks for the convenience of not having to carry around a book with me all of the time, but nothing beats being able to turn the pages of a real book. Ebooks just don't carry the same vibe, and I love the smell of books that an eReader will never have.
Kickinitcountry24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kickinitcountry24.html

Post by Kickinitcountry24 »

I like ebooks because they are easy to access. I personally enjoy the wattpad app in which I can read hundreds of books wherever I am which is really convenient when I am in the car or walking or something of the sort. I also like that I wont really have to fumble with turning on a light and such to read in the middle of the night or in a car ride. However, I do enjoy picking up a good paperback or hardcover book whenever I go to a book store and scan the new books there.
KBrothers805
Currently Reading: Ignite
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbrothers805.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KBrothers805 »

I literally just posted about this on one of my social media sites. While I love the convenience of having an E-reader, there is nothing that compares to an actual book. I buy entire series of books on my Kindle and will read and reread the series over and over again and then on top of that, I will also buy the books in paperback or hardback as well. There's nothing better than laying in bed on a lazy day and being able to smell the pages of the actual book. I love when it's raining and I can hear the rain, smell the book and it feels that every one of my senses are exploding.
laurelise
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurelise.html

Post by laurelise »

I bought my first ereader because I was going on an extended trip, and I wanted to make sure I had sufficient reading material and a way to manage numerous books and documents I needed for a course I was taking while abroad. I now use my Kindle for almost all pleasure reading and only buy print books when the ebook is unavailable or considerably more expensive than the print version. The Kindle is great because it's light and compact and is thus easier on my hands. The story is more important to me than the physical object, and the Kindle is a way to keep a lot of stories on hand. Also, when I'm reading a series, I love that instant gratification of getting the next book right away (especially as I now live in a town where the nearest large bookstore is two hours away--we have two used bookstores, one of which also stocks a few new bestsellers and local authors, but it's hit or miss).

For research, I like print books, though. The highlighting and bookmarking capabilities on the Kindle/iPad are still kind of clunky, but I can just flip directly to a post-it note to find a marked passage. Also, even with integrated page numbers citing ebooks is still a bit :eusa-think:. For the same reasons (page flippage and citation) I preferred print books for teaching.

Another wonderful thing about ebooks is that we have access, often for free, to hundreds (thousands, even) of books that were previously out of print and nearly impossible to find.
Michelle8+
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle8.html

Post by Michelle8+ »

Paper books! My grandma was a librarian and her house was always full of books, we would go there and she would give us at least one to take home, so they remind me of her and I love they way they feel and look.
Christie86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christie86.html

Post by Christie86 »

I have a kindle fire and it is so convenient you can download books right from the Internet never having to walk into a bookstore. And that's great for those introvert days. But I still don't think it beats holding a paperback book in your hands knowing the pages were brand new and you were the first to turn them. Oh yes and the smell of course. You can't beat the smell of old books.
cpullano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpullano.html

Post by cpullano »

I have tried the nook and my iPhone plus as eReaders, and I know they are more convenient space wise (I have way too many books and could really use something that takes up practically no space), but I just don't like it. I'm not sure why. I did prefer reading on the iPhone, only because it makes it easier to read in bed/dim light. I love the feel and smell of a physical book. Everything else in my life is digital, but I can't bring myself to stop buying paper books. However, I agree with goodinbf that ebooks are way more available, and for that reason I try really hard to transition.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”