Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
sammybenaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by sammybenaa »

i prefer paper books. you just have that special feeling of having the physical copy in your hands.
fortydollarsify

Post by fortydollarsify »

I prefer paper. Love having a book in my hand. Love the smell of a bookstore. I can't read my kindle outside. Too much glare. Might need to invest in a different e-reader.
BookishB84
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishb84.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookishB84 »

There is nothing in this world like the feel of a paper book in your hands! Seeing the pages read behind you, the pages yet to go. The smell, the feel, the REALNESS of it. Then when you are done, you have an actual trophy which is the book itself!

However, I have started to build up a Kindle library (I don't own a Kindle, I use the app on my iPhone 6 Plus) due mostly to BookBub. I like it because it's convenient and I can take it anywhere and I always have a book available to read as long as I have my phone on me (and I always do). But, I almost always feel like I've cheated when I finish an eBook. It's just the not the same. For any books that I have read electronically that I really liked, I bought the paper version. I'm a psycho LOL.

Both are useful for their purposes, but personally, a paper book can never be beat because the battery never dies, you can read by candelight if need be; and there's nothing like having something tangible to hold in your hands.

Books are not my things...they are like family members. :animals-ginger:
KeyRay17

Post by KeyRay17 »

Definitely paper books many people now think it's easier to carry around kindles or iPads so they can read a book. What's the fun in that though? To sit down and feel the paper between your fingers and the smell of it. It Is amazing, to get teacup stains on the paper or, tear stains because the best books make feel that way. Also, I find it very accomplishing and have pride to look at my bookshelfs and to see all the books I have collected,to run my fingers over the spines and know exactly what happened and why I loved or hated it. So definetley paper books.
Chris_B
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-b.html

Post by Chris_B »

I like to read ... a lot, but I could not afford to buy enough books each month to get me to my next paycheck so I usually read my favourite books again when I ran out of books ... until my husband started complaining about the clutter of hundreds of books in the house.

I considered switching to ebooks and at first I was concerned that I might not like ebooks as much as reading the actual books, but I got used to my ereader real fast and now actually prefer my ereader to actual books. With all the great, if less well known books available (some even for free), I now have more books than I have time to read. Heaven! :-) I have discovered great books that I would not have found in the library and probably would never have gotten to read if not for ebooks. I also love that I can adjust the font size on my ereader and have hundreds of books at my fingertips as I carry my ereader wherever I go.

The only thing I miss about actual books now is their smell.
Briht_In

Post by Briht_In »

I prefer paper books because touching the paper and smelling it gives you an exquisite feeling. But i also like ebooks beacuse you can have tons of books everywhere with you in you smartphone or laptop for you to read.
obm4ever

Post by obm4ever »

Paper books all the way! I prefer paper books too
mommybugofthree

Post by mommybugofthree »

Missy here---new to the forum and this website! Hi everyone!!

I have strong feelings about the whole e-reader vs hard copy book debate. To me, the thought of curling up at night (or during a thunderstorm, or on a Sunday afternoon, or whatever!) is right up my alley---just like the OP said. "Curling up" with an e-reader just sounds so clinical and emotion-less. Plus, doesn't that defy the whole experience of reading a book that is a "real page-turner"!?! LOL I'm looking forward to reading through the other opinions!

Cheers!
elizfoley11
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizfoley11.html

Post by elizfoley11 »

I love owning and holding the actual book, but I must admit I love the ability to be able to instantly get a book when I am in the middle of a series. Although some titles I simply must own in paper!
KWill20
Favorite Author: mark zusak
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill20.html
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 17801

Post by KWill20 »

I prefer real books over a kindle. It's sort of hard to explain but I like to feel the pages in my hands. I mean, I have a kindle and I really like it, but I would choose a real book over a kindle any day of the week.
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
Supcoolfofa01
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supcoolfofa01.html
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Supcoolfofa01 »

While ebooks have their perks, for instance, adjustable text size, backlighting, and easier to carry around, I'd have to say I like paper books better. Teachers approve of paper books while phones/tablets are not allowed in school. Also, books don't need a battery so they cannot die on you.
Latest Review: "Funny Stories for Kids: The Big Fat Mermaid" by Dweezel and Pallie
Abeener

Post by Abeener »

I love a real book, being able to turn the pages, especially the scent of them. I also like ebooks because there great to sit outside with at night or around a fire and read and you can take a lot more books places with out the cluster and weight!
courtneyr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneyr.html

Post by courtneyr »

My Kobo enables me to read late at night without my partner getting annoyed at me for leaving the light on. I always thought I'd be anti e-reader as I love the smell and feel of a paper book but I'm a true convert purely because I'm a night owl reader.
mainsby51

Post by mainsby51 »

I love the comments I've been reading about the familiar smell of paper books. I have always loved this smell and it even brings back memories from childhood whenever I went to the library to check out a book before I had my bookshelves full through the years. There's something even comforting about it to me as well. Love it!
mjtate72215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjtate72215.html

Post by mjtate72215 »

Paper. I like being able to read and not have to worry about charging my device or dropping it and it breaking

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”