Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
yoo_hoo
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoo-hoo.html

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by yoo_hoo »

Paper books have their own charm. Plus you can always show off a full bookshelf ;)
Colleen8868
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Colleen8868 »

I'm torn between the 2. I like the convenience of ebooks but I enjoy a real book that I can hold. I do both depending on the book itself.
missycandy
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missycandy.html

Post by missycandy »

Nothing can beat a real book! The smell, the feel, the excitement of felling the pages getting smaller as you near the end of the book :D But having Ebooks is so handy less to carry around and being a breast feeding mom it is a lot easier to hold my phone in one hand to read then a book.
G Hein
Currently Reading: Revenge Of The Tide

Post by G Hein »

I never thought I'd like an ereader, but after receiving one for my birthday a few years ago I have to say I do enjoy reading on it. I also love the fact that when I find a book that I am desperate to read it just takes a few minutes and there it is on my Kindle. :D
melmo17
Currently Reading: Come Back to Me
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melmo17.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melmo17 »

"How do you read?" This question has been circling in the reading world ever since I can remember and there have been some heated discussions! When I first started reading, I preferred holding an actual book and flipping the pages to using a kindle or other electronic reading device. However, I have recently become obsessed with my Kindle Paperwhite. These little kindles can hold up to 1000 books and do not strain your eyes even if you read for hours at a time like me. Now, the Kindle Fire is almost just like an iPad or tablet, so if your eyes hurt after a long time staring a computer screen then the Paperwhite is the way to go. And think about it; you can carry multiple books at a time instead of having to take up much needed in your purse for a book (am I right ladies?).

Now don't get me wrong, I still love reading the old fashioned way for things like when you have to fold back the spine of a paperback just to keep the book open, or when you read the same book a hundred times so you don't have to anymore! I have a large bookcase filled with physical books to prove how much I love the classic way of reading, but my kindle has definitely revolutionized the way I read. So, if you're on the fence about switching to an electronic reading device, then make sure you do your research and get what is best for your style of reading.

Thanks for reading!
Sakuko

Post by Sakuko »

I always liked my paper books, and vowed never to read eBooks, but I also got an eBook reader for my birthday, and I don't think the feeling is all that different after all. It's nice to be able to mark and comment parts without scribbling in the margin, and there's just the space issue. Data doesn't take up much room, I can store nearly unlimited amounts of eBooks, but I really do not have the space to keep buying paper books. I have to give them away afterwards.
Also, there are a lot of eBooks for free or very cheap, like 1-2€. You simply can't get paper books for that unless you count used, and since I read english books in Germany, the selection of used english books is severely limited.

But I still buy some paper books. Often enough the difference between the eBook and paper book is laughable. If I can get a paper copy for 1-2€ more than the eBook, I will and simply give it away afterwards. That feels like better value to me.
melmo17
Currently Reading: Come Back to Me
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melmo17.html

Post by melmo17 »

I don't have the room for anymore paper books either! I thought I would hate not holding an actual book in my hands but you're right, holding a kindle doesn't feel all that different.
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JudyJo »

I love a real hardbound book in my hands. There's nothing else that smells as good as those new pages in a book. Even older books have their own personality. But I enjoy reading online as well. I have a Kindle app on my PC, and one on my smart phone. I like holding a teenie tiny phone at night and reading until I get sleepy. A book would probably hurt me when it fell on my face! And please don't tell me that looking at a bright screen in the dark is bad for my eyes. I will continue to read until my eyes fall out of their sockets....eww! Sorry for the graphic descriptions.
Tokigirl2
Currently Reading:
Publishing Contest Votes: 4

Post by Tokigirl2 »

I have a stack of books I could only get in hard copy, waiting for me. It takes me forever to read them, as I read other books on my ever-so-convenient and light weight Kindle, with a whole library inside! I am trying to read an anthology of Meiji and Taisho era Japanese literature, which I need to read for my next book and now MUST READ IMMEDIATELY. It's over 900 pages and weighs 5 pounds at least. I can't travel with it -- it's huge and heavy. I can't lug it around; it won't stay open. I have to sit in a chair and rest it on a tray. Terribly inconvenient. I LOVE my Kindle! I publish in e-format and hard copy, though, because many people like the look and feel (and colors) of print books. While the text and illustrations are all the same in e-format, I really do like having my books in actual print.
Electica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electica.html

Post by Electica »

Along with Kindle and tabs; smartphones have made life better too. A million blessings to Android OSs. Reading books on mobile has become an addiction.
hk2015

Post by hk2015 »

Hands down a paper book. I tried the e-reader, but found myself reading less. :(
ashlynbillings

Post by ashlynbillings »

I use ebooks and paperbooks for different purposes. I do more discovering with my Kindle- I wont spend more than three dollars on an ebook usually. I get paper books when I know what I want and I want it on my bookshelf. So I don't really compare the two because I use them so differently and they're both equally important to me, ya feel?
Dave Matthes
Favorite Author: Charles Bukowski
Currently Reading: Women
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2751

Post by Dave Matthes »

For me, it comes down to the smell. I can't smell an ebook. I can't smell the screen. I can't smell the ink on the pages of an ebook because in essence... they aren't actual pages. It doesn't feel like an ebook really has a soul when compared to its material counterpart, and instead feels more like a cheap clone.
annette84
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette84.html

Post by annette84 »

I honestly think that it depends on the book and where I am reading at. If I am at home of course I prefer a good book, but when traveling I prefer the e-book or audible. Simply because they are lighter and easier to travel with. Also, if the book is written in certain formats (i.e. "I am Princess" by C. Priest, has comics inserted throughout) I prefer the book to e-book.
Endlessbooks14
Currently Reading: Uranium Drive-In
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endlessbooks14.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Endlessbooks14 »

Paperback at the end of the day...there is nothing better than curling up in my bedroom or outside with a good book and a favorite snack. Ebooks are great and all but starting at the screen too much is just to unhealthy especially for my already weak eyes.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”