Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
rkelly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by rkelly »

I love my bookshelf but I have to admit I am reading more and more ebooks. I love the reading light for in bed and when I go on holiday I can take more books. Finally ebooks are cheaper too.
W J Gunning

Post by W J Gunning »

Ebooks seem to becoming used more and more all the time. Last time I was at the airport everyone even the most elderly passengers seemed to be reading books on their devices.
LittleXwillow

Post by LittleXwillow »

There is nothing better then to see all the pages you have read. I like my kindle app cuz I don't have to hear my husband complaining about too many books but, to curl up with a hot cup of coco or some iced southern ice tea, wrapped in a blanket that you crocheted yourself with a good thick book, is so refreshing.
Fangirl_For_Books

Post by Fangirl_For_Books »

I love a good book in my hand, I don't know why but I find it soothing to hold a new book I just bought in my hands and just curl up in my bed to enter a new world. But I also have multiple books on my phone so I can read them anywhere I can, but I do prefer a paper book over an ebook. There's just somethings from an actual book that give you so much joy that an ebook just doesn't offer.
jescat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jescat.html

Post by jescat »

I prefer paper books because theyre easier on the eyes and because I just love the feel of physically turning the pages and the satisfaction of seeing you go through so many pages. However, I do read books on my smartphone, simply because it is much more convenient than bringing a book, especially if its a 700 page novel (city of heavenly fire anyone?). Ebooks can also be more eco friendly, which is very important to me. Despite that though, I much prefer paper books.
ravenclaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravenclaw.html

Post by ravenclaw »

I will ALWAYS prefer paper books. I do read some ebooks but paper has my vote.
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

I prefer paper books the smell of a book is something that I will always remember, with that being said I find myself reading more ebooks just because they're are cheaper and more convenient. In my mind nothing can ever replace the satisfaction of seeing your bookshelf full of all your favorites and those bad choices you keep hidden in the corner.
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Linda7228 wrote:I prefer paper books the smell of a book is something that I will always remember, with that being said I find myself reading more ebooks just because they're are cheaper and more convenient. In my mind nothing can ever replace the satisfaction of seeing your bookshelf full of all your favorites and those bad choices you keep hidden in the corner.
Hahaha! I know the feeling of satisfaction from having the bookshelf full of books with your embarrassing choices hidden in the corner is shoved back behind some other ones in hopes that no one else will see them. Too funny!
Also, I am not stalking you, but you seem to be on all the threads I am following! :lol: :lol:
most ardently
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-most-ardently.html

Post by most ardently »

Every time I use a Kindle I feel like I am cheating on a book. I understand the appeal. They are wonderful to read in a bath rub (although dangerous) or in time where you just have a few seconds. They are easier to hold in some cases, too. But to feel a real book between your hands.... there is no other feeling. Turning the pages, it's euphoric. Especially if you bought a book used and you can smell the age, the scent of the old owners. There is nothing like it.
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

Definitely paper book! There is nothing better than having the hard copy in your hand while reading. Reading books online or on book reader takes the fun out of it. Reading is supposed to take you away from the current world; How are you supposed to do that when your reading device is tethered to the internet and all of its distractions? I absolutely love buying paper books and will one day have my own library filled with all the books I have read. Hopefully they do not stop making them :evil:
crazy reader

Post by crazy reader »

I had a tough time with the new technology of the ebook. The concept of not holding the actual book was just something I didn't want to accept. My husband bought me a kindle for my birthday. When I first got it started, I had many complaints. Once I learned how it all works, I can not go anywhere with out it! I don't sleep well, so at night I can read on the kindle and not disturb my husband with turning on the light. :)
most ardently
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-most-ardently.html

Post by most ardently »

I can certainly see the practical side of an eBook. Especially Kindle and being able to read outside in the sun. But how can you prefer it over a thick, smelly book?!
Liv_Rem

Post by Liv_Rem »

I used to love paper books as a child, but once.I started using my EReader I have seldom looked back. I didn't even know I wanted it, but my first one was a gift to me and I flipped out when I received it. It saves so much space!!!! Getting my favorite books and putting them on my EReader eliminated a ton of my clutter. I can even get some of my school books in Ebook format, which means I don't have to lug those huge books around. And as far as pleasure reading in my spare time? It's so much easier to slip my slim little EReader into my purse to pull out wuen I'm bored than even a paperback. Also, if I'm out somewhere and change my mind about what I what to read, with my EReader I can just select something else. Physical books can not magically transform themselves into other books just because I no longer feel like reading that particular one. I believe that the smell when you crack open a good book (you know that smell!) is irreplaceable, BUT... I will choose Ebook over physical book any day.
W J Gunning

Post by W J Gunning »

From reading these posts it looks like the transition to EReaders is a very gradual process
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

It's true that books have this distinct smell that draw you in but at the end of the day, I truly don't see the big difference between ereaders and books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”