Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ThousandsHardships
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thousandshardships.html

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by ThousandsHardships »

I do both. I love the look and feel of a paper book much better. However, it's sometimes hard to convince myself to buy an actual book considering they cost more, require more resources to produce, and as a student who has not settled down and bought my own house, the idea of having to move every couple of years with shelves upon shelves of books is daunting to say the least. It's easier on my conscience to get e-books. Also, e-books eliminate the need to hold books open, which is convenient when I want to read while eating, brushing my hair, or brushing my teeth. I have the Kindle app on my Apple devices, so this also means that they sync to my phone. Since I keep my phone in my back pocket most of the time, pulling it out is the most convenient way to read while waiting in line. Often when I feel too busy to read, I start a book when waiting in line, and then I continue and somehow that "too busy" feeling is no longer there. I've read a lot more books than I would have otherwise without an e-reader. That said, I still do love paper books more. If I plan on rereading a book multiple times or if it's a book that I'm getting for a class, then I will usually stick to paper books.
smsichelman
Currently Reading: One with you
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smsichelman.html

Post by smsichelman »

I agree with the paper book opinions. There's something about feeling a book in your hand when you're into it. I just love it! That being said, an e-reader would certainly be easier in some places. Like the gym!
Twistedchild89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twistedchild89.html

Post by Twistedchild89 »

This is a hard on. I love my kindle because most times I can get books for cheaper than a paper book but nothing beats the feel of a page as you turn it or the new book smell.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

I will always always always favor print books over ebooks. I love the feel of a book in my hands, the smell, the turning of the pages. And it's so much easier on my eyes! I read for about an hour before bed every night to relax, and paper is so much more relaxing than a screen (in fact, a screen can keep you awake). Having said that, I do own a Kindle Fire. I bought it used so that I could do beta reading, and I have been collecting books that I find for free on Amazon, which I read when I travel. Otherwise I would be packing at least three or four books with me! Being a Fire tablet, it also enables me to check email while traveling without lugging my laptop along.
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Brat81978

Post by Brat81978 »

I do agree and never thought I'd flip over to the "dark side" but once I got my iPad I realized how awesome it was to have a virtual library in my hands...literally. While I do still like paper books I've definitely been leaning more towards the ebooks lately!
Caggiemae16

Post by Caggiemae16 »

Paper book is way better.
Lo2211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lo2211.html

Post by Lo2211 »

I've always loved paper books more than ebooks. There is just something special and calming about curling up with a real book, flipping the pages and breathing in the smell of the paper (is that weird? haha). But I will say that I recently had a baby so right now I haven't read a real paper book for about 6 months. It is just so much more convenient to read a book on my phone or kindle. The main time I read is during her feedings during the day and in the middle of the night. It is really hard to hold a baby, a bottle and a book and be able to flip the pages! Trust me I've tried! It is also impossible to read a real book in the dark in the middle of the night. So needless to say I have been swayed to the ebook side of things a little bit more here lately. I think I will always love real paper books more but I will still be happy to read a ebook.
Stephanie-Ann
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-ann.html

Post by Stephanie-Ann »

Honestly, for me, the tradition of holding a good book, curling up in my comfy chair, holding a hot cup of tea on a drizzly gray day is THE BEST! I much prefer the "real thing" over digital any day.

However, there is definitely a place for my ebooks! I have hundreds of them stashed in my phone for when I travel (I cannot begin to carry enough books to get me through a seven day cruise!), for when I am bored waiting - anywhere - , or for when I am fresh out of the paper version!

I hope the "real thing" never a becomes obsolete, but I am thankful for the technology that allows me to have almost unlimited reading at my fingertips literally anywhere I am.
Jenevieve
Currently Reading: Carry On
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Jenevieve »

I've read on Kindles before, but I completely agree. There's something about turning a page, the feel of books, the smell of books. They're something I love to have physically with me. I do enjoy reading fanfictions, though, which are only available (as far as I know) online.
mommaofirishtwins

Post by mommaofirishtwins »

Paperback! I do occasionally do ebooks. But it's nice to cuddle up and read a nice paperback book.
sale_meg

Post by sale_meg »

I own a Kindle and have the Kindle app on my phone, but I get more reading done when I actually have a book in my hands. I feel more involved in the story when I can physically turn the pages.
Maegan101
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maegan101.html
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia

Post by Maegan101 »

For a long time I wanted an e-reader because I thought it would make things easier on me. Once I got the chance to use one I was upset because , though it was easier sometimes, I just wanted the paper copies in my hands again.
Latest Review: "Before the Cult" by Sandy Masia
emthomas1
Reading Device: B0163GNS5S

Post by emthomas1 »

Ebooks are certainly more convenient in terms of volume, plus I can read it to fall asleep without having to irritate my spouse with a 1 A.M. lamp or reading torch. That upside is also the primary con, however - the light spectrum from most phones/iPads tricks the brain into thinking it's daytime.
A_Doyle
Currently Reading: Shitty Mom
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-doyle.html

Post by A_Doyle »

There is simply no comparison to reading a paper book. The smell, the sound of the pages turning, and your fingers on the paper. The feel of the coarseness of the paper. How thick or thin it is. It is intimate and emotional. E-books and E-readers are cold and lack the ability to convey the full reading experience.
mark3666
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark3666.html

Post by mark3666 »

Paper book is good if you enjoy sitting on your sofa after a hard day and holding a book in your hands. However I feel that e books are more convenient for me. I find it easier to read on my laptop or I pad than to read a hard copy. Hard copies can be straining to the eyes sometimes. So e books are my favourite and I do like to keep paper books as well.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”