Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by christinac_2585 »

I have both and my personal preference is paper, but there are advantages to having an e-reader. One being that there are some books that are only electronic and without my dreaded I wouldn't have the chance to read them.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Tevis Scout
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tevis-scout.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tevis Scout »

While I have always enjoyed a paper book, I gravitate toward my Kindle more and more. One reason is that I am traveling full time and carrying an extra duffle bag full of books got tiresome, and I would often read through them all and have to hunt down a used bookstore. Also, I can download free books ALL the time, and have a bunch awaiting. As I often read a book a day, I love having a line-up ready for me!

The e-reader is easier on these older eyes with its different size fonts and backlighting, and that it reopens on wherever I last read is fantastic! I dislike the recharging aspect, though! At least a paper book never needed an electrical outlet! I do keep several paper books in my camper so if I blow through the charge on my electronic devices, I still have a good read available.

The Kindle app on my I-phone is the best as I always have my I-phone with me, and often read another chapter or two during odd moments throughout the day. Sometimes I just take a mini-break and read while parked at the grocery store - LOL.

Currently, I read about 95% of my books on electronic devices, and about 5% are paper books. Hey, a girl just wants a good read, any time and any way! --Tevis Scout
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by KiMB00P »

I used to think that I would never give up physical books, then I received a kindle as a gift in 2009. I recently moved and uncovered a box of books that I haven't ever read and packed one to read on the commute to work.

It's been years since I've read a physical paper book and there was a word I wasn't quite sure of the definition. When using my kindle I can just highlight the word using the touch screen and the definition pops up conveniently. 5:30 am on a stuffy train, I touch my finger to the paper page and wait. And wait. And then realize after a moment why the definition isn't popping up.

That's when I closed the book, put it away and pull out my kindle. Haha.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I love E books on the kindle but you just can't take a good shelfie for your Instagram without some pretty paper book covers..
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

It's always nice to have an actual book in your hands to flip through the pages, I especially like that unique and warm smell they offer. But I think sometimes it's easier and also interesting to change it up a little. I recently found out I kind of take solace in reading E-books.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
RosesReviews
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by RosesReviews »

As much as I love reading, and I have always loved holding a real book, and that is still my preference, I can see the benefits of an ereader. After the death of my parents, my sister and I have had the task of cleaning out the house which had large bookshelves in at least two rooms and smaller bookshelves in the other two rooms. I'm sorry, I failed to mention that those were just the upstairs rooms. Then there is the dreaded attic with boxes of book! We're still working to find good homes for books to this day.
KiMB00P

Post by KiMB00P »

Rey wrote:It's always nice to have an actual book in your hands to flip through the pages, I especially like that unique and warm smell they offer. But I think sometimes it's easier and also interesting to change it up a little. I recently found out I kind of take solace in reading E-books.
Brand new books have that "new car smell" however, I always found library books to smell quite bad. :?
countrychick86
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by countrychick86 »

Currently, I don't have a tablet or a reader to be able to read ebooks easily. I prefer paper books for this reason. If I had something more portable that would make reading ebooks easier, it wouldn't really matter to me either way. I don't have a lot of space to put books on a shelf so an ebook would take care of the space issue.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I agree with most people on this topic. Both are great but the e reader is just so much easier.
1-travel is much easier
2-I can get free books more readily
3-e books are cheaper than paperbacks
4-i can borrow books from my library even if I'm in a different country
5-space is not an issue anymore

Granted I have all these reasons to love e reader but if I can choose or e book, I choose paper.
KiMB00P

Post by KiMB00P »

countrychick86 wrote:Currently, I don't have a tablet or a reader to be able to read ebooks easily. I prefer paper books for this reason. If I had something more portable that would make reading ebooks easier, it wouldn't really matter to me either way. I don't have a lot of space to put books on a shelf so an ebook would take care of the space issue.
Amazon has a lot of kindle options! I have Amazon prime, and even though it has a $99/year price tag, it comes with free books, and exclusive promos. If you have a .edu email address, you can get prime at a huge discount if you don't already have it.

Amazon also always puts their kindles on sale. I've gotten a kindle e-ink reader for $30 and a couple weeks ago got a kindle fire for $39.99. Right now their cheapest kindle is $49.99 for the Fire 7". That's the one I have and I love it for reading. You can even check out ebooks from the library on your kindle and amazon has the Kindle lending program as well. And if you have friends with a kindle, you can loan and borrow from each other too. I try to take advantage of all that they offer and hope this helps you out!
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I personally also enjoy. Paper copies of books. I find them just nicer to read especially the papery smell. Although to use this site I always need to use an e-reader.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html

Post by Chitopogi »

I much prefer reading EBooks now. I don't need to have a nightlamp in order to read. I can adjust my reader's brightness so it will make for easier and safer reading. The paperback is fast becoming a jurassic era animal. Better left in the past.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by paranormalbooklover »

I haven't picked up a book in a long time, I just read off my phone or kindle, but recently I have been getting books from the library. The only downside to a physical book is at night when my husband is sleeping I don't want to use a light and wake him up because I want to read.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

Ebook, it costs me none.
judy promise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by judy promise »

Paper book because that's all I have known until just march when I bought a tablet.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”