Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by annieeb »

I received an e-reader as a gift a few years ago. I loved the idea and I've read on my phone before when I was out without a book but if I can choose, I would always choose a paper book. I think they're easier and more authentic and I just love to be able to sit down and turn the pages in a book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Angelag
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelag.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Angelag »

That is a hard choice. I love having tons of books at a touch of a finger but there's nothing like the feel and smell of a paper book.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I love paper books.. I do have ebooks, but I don't have an ereader so I'll either read them on my phone or laptop.. So perhaps that's why I prefer text.. But I prefer my college books to be text vs etext also.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

I agree. I have had my Kindle for 6 years and I use it mainly when I travel. There is nothing like holding the book in your hands while reading. If there is something that you want to re-read, just flip the page and start over again. I think my Kindle will last me a long time simply because I don't use it that much.
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

When the first Nook came out, I had one. It just seemed logical, since I read so quickly, and had to travel often. I ended up hating it, for a few reasons (and some are silly).
1) I hate change.
2) I hated that you could do more on it than just READ
3) I didn't like the backlight--it felt too much like a computer screen and not like a "page" like advertised.

In the end I sold it and never looked back. Well, that is until MANY years passed, technology advanced, and I decided to do some research. To make this short and to the point, I love both now. I received a Kindle Voyage from my husband last year for my birthday (after raving about how much I wanted to try one) and it has proved to be marvelous for a quick fix and access to my favorites on the go.

NOTHING will ever replace a paper book for me. In fact, I bought one last week. But I would have to say its not "one or the other" for me. I love both, and will cherish my e-reader for the simple fact that it brings my favorite thing to me in a lightweight portable device.
suetropez

Post by suetropez »

OH, nice. I hadn't thought of it that way. Perhaps I will take my Kindle off the dresser and dust it off and give it a try, again. Umm. We'll see.

Thanks for the other perspective.
BookPrincess88
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookprincess88.html

Post by BookPrincess88 »

I held off having a kindle for so long and I finally caved in when Mum suggested it as a Christmas present...

Positives of my paperwhite kindle:
I have been able to read more
books are cheaper
I can read in the sun without glare
I can read more than one book when I'm travelling without affecting weight in hand luggage
fits into my handbag
I've read a lot whilst travelling in the car
I tend to read more at night without affecting my bf!
I read in the bath more!

Negatives:
You don't get that 'book smell' that I absolutely love
You can't look at the pretty covers on a shelf - I don't have a lot of space any more though!!!
Harder to share with people - but they are cheap on kindle!
I didn't want to be part of the making everything digital movement that seems to be happening!! I didn't like the idea of changing how I read for a long time!

It hasn't stopped me buying books on a whim at stations, in town or generally anywhere there is a 3 for 2 offer but I have got through more books this year than ever before and not broke the bank!!!!
You don't get the satisfaction of turning the page yourself
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

I always love having a book in hand. It tells me how long it is and where I'm at in the book. Beginning, middle or end. And if you miss something, it's easy to turn the page back enough to see and then go back where you left off. Ereaders to glitch and sometimes it doesn't show where you had left off.
theoliversca

Post by theoliversca »

I like the smell of books as well, but Ebooks can be stored in abundance and taking up no where close to the room of real books
omi2ten
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by omi2ten »

I go back and forth between my kindle and paper books depending on several things. 1) With a choice between my kindle and a hardbound, I'll take my kindle because I have severe arthritis and it just hurts to hold heavy hardbound books. 2) Which is cheaper to pick up: a paperback or an e-book? I have a budget so I go with whichever is cheaper. 3) Am I going to want to read it multiple times and share it with friends? There are very few books I will read more than once, but if I'm going to like with the Harry Potter Series or Jane Eyre, I'm going to buy the books. 4) How many books do I have on my shelves? My shelves are full right now and I can't bear to let any go, so I'm either putting them on my kindle or borrowing them from the library, especially if I can get what I'm looking for in paperback. So there you go, I like them both.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

I prefer the old way, therefore prefer paper books.
Still trying to get use to computers.
I like to hold the book when reading and sit in a comfortable chair.
Also like using book marks to mark the page.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

As several people have mentioned, there is nothing that can replace the smell of a new book! If I am going to go buy a book, it'll be a physical book. But I have been loving checking out ebooks from my library - can't beat the convenience there!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
rjgold

Post by rjgold »

Once in a while I will read paper. I am really enjoying reading ebooks and can read in large print. Not so easy these days. But I will always make time to read no matter how old I am.
jgarner1114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgarner1114.html

Post by jgarner1114 »

PAPER!!!! There is nothing better than the feel of a good book and the smell of paper. I have a daughter and I much rather her want to copy mommy by holding a book then want another electronic device in her hand.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

Ebooks are quite convenient but personally, I just prefer physical copies so much more! I don't go travelling much or anything, so I do not really a problem with too many books. I just like to feel the pages as I turn them and seeing the "read" side get thicker and the "to read" side get thinner. I also retain more when I read physical books?? I also skim more when reading ebooks.
My weekend is all booked!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”