Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
BeH2reads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by BeH2reads »

i love both. when I'm on the road having my kindle is easier than trying to care the 4 or 5 books i want to bring, but when home i can grab a nice paperback and find a comfortable spot on my bed to sit for hours. i still have more paperbacks than ebooks.
Ernish

Post by Ernish »

Ebooks are great for efficiency. Impulse reading, but it doesn't give you the full book experience, although the breaking spine guilt isn't there for ebooks :) also great for secretly reading whilst doing office work ;) but still prefer an actual book anyday
demme55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-demme55.html

Post by demme55 »

There is nothing like the feel and smell of a good old fashioned book. Although the convenience of space, or lack of space used, of instant gratification - no trip to store or library - ebooks are pretty amazing.
kassielk
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassielk.html

Post by kassielk »

I never thought I would get an ereader but now I never leave home without my kindle. I miss the old book smell but love the convenience of it.
Luther

Post by Luther »

I link always e book. it's easy to read but not carry anythere.
Ihyra
Favorite Author: None in particular
Favorite Book: None in particular
Currently Reading: Re-reading good old reads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ihyra.html

Post by Ihyra »

Ebooks offer loads of advantages but the assurance of an actual physical book after a tiring long day is something totally different!!!
One gets so used to Ebooks that it is not realized...
Simply SAD.
Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

It is a generation issue. I am 66 and I love the feel of a solid book in my hands. I have read e-books, but it does not have the same experience for me. I know that many of my friends feel the same.
LaughingDragon7870

Post by LaughingDragon7870 »

Learning can be experienced in a myriad of ways; paper books, ebooks, and discussion forums provide ample opportunities to explore a multitude of diverse topics. When I wish to learn or experience something through the medium of the written word, I most prefer paper books rather than ebooks.

While I own an ereader, I like the smell, feel, and cover art of paper books over ebooks. Nothing brings me more peace on a rainy day than reading a good book. However, in today's ever expanding global community, ebooks provide an easily accessible and user friendly platform in which to explore the realms of fantasy, science fiction, mystery, romance, philosophy, politics, religion, spirituality and many more from any place you happen to be. The convenience of ebooks cannot be denied.

Ebooks are the "wave of the future" and thus provide a wonderful and enjoyable way to experience the pleasure of reading.
shearsk
Favorite Author: Kay Hooper
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 11034">Out of the Shadows</a>
Currently Reading: A Deadly Web
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shearsk.html
Latest Review: "Blood Ties - The Bonds Are Permament" by Ashley Fontainne & Lillian Hansen
fav_author_id: 3327

Post by shearsk »

I like both. I like having paper copies of my favorite books because it feels like I really own them and can go back to them over and over like visiting an old friend. But I also have an e-reader and found that to be really convenient for finding free/cheap books online that I might like to read but probably wouldn't ever buy or come across otherwise. I don't think having a physical book versus reading a screen makes any difference for me in how I enjoy the story or not.
Latest Review: "Blood Ties - The Bonds Are Permament" by Ashley Fontainne & Lillian Hansen
kimkam27453

Post by kimkam27453 »

I prefer the old-fashioned way of reading :) I don't think I can handle too much on screen. Reading the paper book style makes my eyes relax a wee bit than reading on screen. hihi
BarefootBookworm
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barefootbookworm.html

Post by BarefootBookworm »

A few years ago I moved overseas and my kindle was a lifesaver on the long plane flights and backpacking trips that ensued. I found myself missing the feel/smell of real books, and made a "hardcover" kindle cover out of a throwaway old book. The only thing missing is the feel of turning pages...
Cori_Sunshine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cori-sunshine.html

Post by Cori_Sunshine »

I'm torn between both. I love my e-reader, but it can only hold so much. With actual books I can store as many as I'd like.
spider59
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spider59.html

Post by spider59 »

I love have a paper book in my hand. I love the touch and the smell. I also like how easy I can go back or forward a few pages easily. I also love reading on the kindle and nook apps on several devices;its easier than hauling around a bunch of books, and I love the backlight on my devices for reading in the car (while someone else drives).
Skotg
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Skotg »

nothing beats the smell and touch of a paper book
Tans

Post by Tans »

There is something special about a REAL book, especially the smell of a brand new book! But the convenience and ease of purchasing good quality books, cheaply, on a kindle can't be beaten!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”