Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by erasmus »

I love the feeling of the paper between my fingers while I'm reading, even though I'd feel guilty for the trees killed for that one book. The look of a well-worn book speaks volumes of the hands it's passed through - the book itself has its story.

Also, despite the portability of e-books, I still prefer to bring a paperback around instead of staring at a screen. The only e-reader I have is Overdrive, and I use it only if the paperback version of a book is not available in the library.
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
bluemm0926
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemm0926.html

Post by bluemm0926 »

I have been fighting getting an e-reader for a very long time, but just took the plunge and I love it! It was hard for me to go back and read a real book. My only debate now is that I have books from certain authors that I have on my shelf and always pre-order and now I'm not sure if I would get the actual book to keep the collection or the e-book because I like it better!
aida12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aida12.html

Post by aida12 »

I prefer a book to an eBook. Although having eBooks has many upsides. For all my love of a real book I do have many of my books backed up as eBooks on an electronic library. In case I need to take a long trip and I get bored. So have eBooks are a great back up plan for the unexpected.
daniellewood94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellewood94.html

Post by daniellewood94 »

I have an amazon kindle which I think is great but I do love a good old paper book! Especially when they are new, they smell so good!
Superman747
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superman747.html

Post by Superman747 »

I strongly prefer paper books, but if I can't find a paperback or hardcover I will get the digital version.
KirstyJ1994
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirstyj1994.html

Post by KirstyJ1994 »

I read ebooks as well as paper books but not as often. I do see the benefits such as definitions of unfamiliar words and having loads of books on one item, but I will always prefer real books!
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

On my Kobo, I have one problem..
I can't get the page number that I'm on. I can only find the page number of the chapter and it's really frustrating. It will say like "page 7 of 48" but that's like 48 pages until the next chapter. So I can't find my overall page number, can anybody help me??
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I prefer paper books, but sometimes (very rarely) I read ebooks too. But I just love to touch the paper of a book, to smell it, to hold it...
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I still prefer the paper even though I own several ebook devices.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
c p

Post by c p »

I have arthritis, and my hands freeze when holding actual books for a long period of time. Ebooks have made it possible for me to continue enjoying my novels.
annabear3
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Wild-Cheryl Strayed
Currently Reading: A Little F'd Up: Why feminism is not a dirty word
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabear3.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by annabear3 »

I'm definitely more of a paper book kind of gal. I love being able to fold my corners over (some might see this as a sin, I think it's a good sign that my book was well worn) and I love being able to write in the margins and then if I ever need it in a time of crisis, I know it's on the shelf waiting for me. Plus, I don't have to worry about my books running out of battery, they're always there when the power goes out :)
docgoodheart
Favorite Author: Jean M Auel
Favorite Book: Gods Smuggler by Brother Andrew
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docgoodheart.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by docgoodheart »

Old fashioned, hold in the hand paper! It has a 'life' that e-books don't have - its something to do with the vibration of the organic make-up pf paper as against the electronic and plastic make-up of..well, electronics. Also, I like to keep a copy of favourites on my book shelf for later enjoyment.
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

Definitely paperback! I'm old fashioned and like books physically in my hands
Sheikahmason
Currently Reading:

Post by Sheikahmason »

I would still say paper book. I have my ipad with me and tried out an ebook, so heavy to carry. A paper book is something you want to carry around with you and read on the plane or if you are waiting for your friend who is late again without the hassle of watching out if you might get rob like if you are bringing an ipad for your ebook. :cry: .
mri42491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mri42491.html

Post by mri42491 »

I've never owned an E-book but I can honestly say that I don't believe I would enjoy them. I can't stand reading on the computer for long periods of time. The light and the way you have to sit while reading on a laptop or desktop is frustrating. I might someday have an E-book just because it seems convenient when it's hard to have a big book in your bag or purse, but other than that, I love my paper copies. I love having a full bookshelf like you mentioned. Also, if I'm ever reading in front of other people, then they can check out what I'm reading and maybe start discussing it with me. :)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”