Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Susieg61
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by Susieg61 »

I love real books because there is just something about the feel of them and the smell. I love seeing them on my shelf too. But I love my kindle as well. If it's a book I want to keep I get the physical copy. But if I'm just going to read it, I get it on my kindle.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

No. I highly prefer reading physical copies of books. It feels more personal.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

What will we put on the coffee table for decoration if there are no more paper books???
Daljr1234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daljr1234.html

Post by Daljr1234 »

In my opinion there is no better feeling than a hard copy in my hands.
Allison_Wonderland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-wonderland.html

Post by Allison_Wonderland »

Until recently, I detested the idea of reading electronic copies of books. I can understand the advantages and disadvantages for both hard copies and electronic copies, but I love going into a library where you can get to know the librarian that can recommend good books. I love the process of then finding that book, then physically holding it and turning its pages.
I've read both, and still prefer hard copies.
bradybunch84
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: The Secret Garden
Currently Reading: TheHaunted Hour edited by Manson
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by bradybunch84 »

We live in our RV fulltime and travel all year long so I thought e-books would be great but we have had issues of trying to recharge our tablets. The pro side to tablets is that you can carry so many books on them but the flip side is that you may have issues trying to keep them charged up. I carry physical books with us just in case........can't be without anything to read.
a wonderful companion in solitude - (a book)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Allison_Wonderland wrote:Until recently, I detested the idea of reading electronic copies of books. I can understand the advantages and disadvantages for both hard copies and electronic copies, but I love going into a library where you can get to know the librarian that can recommend good books. I love the process of then finding that book, then physically holding it and turning its pages.
I've read both, and still prefer hard copies.
I also love the whole process of browsing physical books, then picking one up and reading the inside blurb.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

Not for me. They will never, ever replace a paperback. I don't care what argument you make to me I much rather have a hardcover book on hand than an electronic pad to read.

I do have a Kindle and I occasionally read from it (take on travel) but I get so much more enjoyment out of reading a book where I can turn the pages, smell the book and don't have to worry about battery life or if I leave it somewhere that I paid $$$$ for it and now lost it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

I totally agree with the original point. I love the feeling of a book in my hands.

I got a kindle for Christmas but I used it so little I lent it to my mum and never really bothered to get it back. She needs it more anyway. The inly time I regret it is when I'm reading a really big book and my back starts hurting from having it in my bag all the time. Like now.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

bookowlie wrote:I also love the whole process of browsing physical books, then picking one up and reading the inside blurb.

That is how sometimes I pickup and read a new author or a new book. I'll pickup the book because the Title or cover art grabbed my interest and I'll flip to a random page to see if I like the style of writing. If it is one of those books that you have to read from the begining of a chapter I'll do that and then I'll read the summary to get an idea of what the book is about. Can't do that with an eBook (at least not at the Bookstore).

Also, love going to the Bookstore and perusing all of the books.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
kaitlynnkidd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynnkidd.html

Post by kaitlynnkidd »

I hope that ebooks won't replace the real thing. Is there a better feeling than holding a new book in your hands? Books even have their own smell, a little musty, comforting, like a trip to grandmas house. I also just can't focus quite as well on something with a lit of screen. With a book there's nothing to distract you or tempt you into exploring countless other pages online.
ALieLee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alielee.html

Post by ALieLee »

I would rather lug around a real book. Yes E-Books are nice and easy, but the feeling of a book in my hand can never be replaced.
Allison
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison.html

Post by Allison »

I don't think that's the case and I would never hope for a future like that! While I do love e-books, there is nothing like holding a solid paper back book in your hand, skimming the pages or even smelling the pages. It is divine!. I also love going to the bookstore and scanning the shelves even if I don't plan on buying a book. There's just a joy in owning a physical copy of a book, where you can look at and absorb the cover and pages forever.
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

In my opinion, a traditional book can never be replaced. There is nothing like sitting with a book open in your hands, reading and feeling the paper or smelling the book itself. It is a very good experience. I however own a kindle and love it and could never see myself not using it. There are benefits to using traditional books and e readers both, but I don't see an actual book being replaced and neither would I want to.
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

I think they will eventually and if not completely then a few paperbacks will be there because technology is rapidly progressing and people tend to find it efficient, easy and convenient.
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”