Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by asmaahsan »

Nothing gives me more pleasure than a well-written, well-bound book in my hands.

I was an avid reader untill my early twenties when I became a mother and committed home-maker. I didnt read books anymore as I didnt get the time to sit and marvel at an excellent piece of literature. I started reading a lot of stuff on the internet.

As e-books became more popular, I found it so convenient to read them!

I read a lot online. I enjoy e-books now because in the middle of my concentrated reading sessions, if some phrase comes up that confuses me or gives me a sense of deja vu, I can always look it up immediately online, something thats a bit inconvenient if you are curled up with a book and the internet access is not close at hand.

Its easy to read an e-book on an android phone or some other modern internet enabled device and you can always pretend that you are checking your mail if amongst company that may label you as being a bookworm, something you may not like to be considered.

That e-books are the future of reading is a certainty, no doubt, but book lovers like me will always try to unearth and treasure those timeless collector's editions that you would only leave to someone who loves books as much as you, as your legacy.
mikeca
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikeca.html

Post by mikeca »

E-books are so convenient for travel, but I sincerely hope they don't replace traditional books. There's something about the physicality of a book, the paper, print, and heft that adds to the enjoyment of actual books for me.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html

Post by asmaahsan »

Agreed. I just bought latest edition of my first favourite author as a teenager, just as a keepsake because the new edition has such cool new covers! I can't get over traditional books either, especially the collectors editions.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Kokiloki

Post by Kokiloki »

Though I love my 'real' books, and cannot think of ever completely replacing them, e-books are great for my failing eyesight, as I really struggle to read some of the old favourites these days. And they are also the best thing for carting around with you, like when going on holiday.
Shapewear

Post by Shapewear »

No. If you read in bed, an eBook may be a good option as many readers come with built-in reading lights. These are easy to use and won’t get in the way like the lights attached to actual books do.
RaeGeorge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raegeorge.html

Post by RaeGeorge »

As practical as ereaders are, I really hope actual books don't become a thing of the past. I dont want to read bedtime stories to my children and grandchildren from an ereader.
For me, nothings better than seeing an overflowing bookcase, wandering around bookshops etc.
I like to feel the paper and the pages between my fingers and to actually see how much of the book ive left to read.
And I love to be able to simply give the book to someone else who I think would enjoy it.
Kenile
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenile.html

Post by Kenile »

I love my Kindle and it is extremely handy to use for travel but I couldn't imagine to completely replace traditional books either! Sometimes there is nothing that can replace holding a physician copy of a book in your hands.
kasiviswanath

Post by kasiviswanath »

i agree with paperbacks because it gives very natural & we go into dreams....
Kainchild

Post by Kainchild »

No because there are still people out there that would rather have a physical copy. E book still are too technical for some.
InkyFox
Favorite Author: carrie jones
fav_author_id: 8416

Post by InkyFox »

As a librarian, I can say that paper books will not be going away, at least any time soon. We still have an attachment to paper. There is the claim that one reader can hold many books, and that's true, but if you are an avid reader (like myself) even my current physical library will not fit on one (or two) e-readers.

There is also a technological gap. There are still too many people who cannot adapt, and those who simply will not adapt. When I work in a library, so many requests I get are from people who cannot figure out their e-readers and the program we use for ebooks. It is unnecessarily complicated at the moment.

Also, there is some debate about the backlight on e-readers. Apparently it might be damaging your eyes if you read in the dark with just the light of the e-reader.

For my two cents, I still prefer paper over paperbacks. physical copies are easier on my eyes. Unfortunately, all these computer screens have done quite a bit of damage to my eyes. Reading on paper does not do that to me.
Midnightnova
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightnova.html

Post by Midnightnova »

I love e-books and e-book readers. Saves money and paper, you have many to select from in the menu. I am in love with my Kindle :)
Brent

Post by Brent »

i really like both e-books and regular books, boith have advantages and disadvantages. e-books really have no value as they get older, real books do!
kellymfowler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellymfowler.html

Post by kellymfowler »

Reading electronically is wonderfully convenient, but I am enthralled by all things having to do with traditional books. The smell of the ink and paper, the feeling of holding it in your hand, the cover art - it's an experience I would certainly miss!
thomaswilson

Post by thomaswilson »

The eBook is the digital version of a traditional paperback, in a digital page-by-page format, clear to read on a compatible gadget. This digital reading ability has taken the tech market place by storm, An eBook is not made of paper or ink or plastic material or any material except digital code. Therefore no natural resources are spent in its creation, operate or deletion. One paperback requires at least one tree for its production. Its production process also consumes raw materials. So for a smaller green footprint, reading an eBook seems to be the better choice.
milance2012

Post by milance2012 »

I hope this question will lest forever. Concerning nature, for internet, we use electricity. For healthy is more convenient. A pleasure with the paper book is irreplaceable. Ortodox's books are very usefull for soul in paper forme (by reading in some nice, calm place, may be in nature). Anyway, I admit that I find more time to read books when I am on the Internet.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”