Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Reading_Reviews
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-reviews.html

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by Reading_Reviews »

I hope not because I like holding a good book in bed and just read.
biglitte

Post by biglitte »

I admit that I find more time to read books when I am on the Internet.
mana1o1
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana1o1.html

Post by mana1o1 »

Not at all. Although I have been reading alot of ebooks still when I get back to the paperbacks...the pleasure it gives is just so different. It's a lot more feel you get and sometimes you can easily refer back to chapters just to make sure what you read has some how connected with the part before.. For instance, while reading Harry Potter I had to refer back to other chapter just to make sure there was a connection there. In e-books referring back is so annoying and I don't really enjoy that.
Shinyfox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Post by Shinyfox »

I love my e-books just because they are so easy to store & carry around. I used to carry 3 or 4 books with me where ever I traveled and now I just have my e-reader. I, however, love bound books. I love the smell, the feel and the weight of them. I love flipping the pages and putting my bookmark in at the end of a reading session. I hope that bound books will never go out of style.
belikesnow
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belikesnow.html

Post by belikesnow »

eBooks, are indeed convenient, and easy to carry around,since its in an iPad or kindle, but i don't think anything car replace the feel of books, and changing a page. i don't know about anyone else but paper books are better, in my opinion.
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

belikesnow wrote:eBooks, are indeed convenient, and easy to carry around,since its in an iPad or kindle, but i don't think anything car replace the feel of books, and changing a page. i don't know about anyone else but paper books are better, in my opinion.
Yep!!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
daniellefouche
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniellefouche.html

Post by daniellefouche »

I have never read an ebook because I love paperbacks. A paperback book will always be classic.
tracy1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy1.html

Post by tracy1 »

I hope that e-books do not replace traditional books. I like to read e-books, but I also like traditional books. My preference for my textbooks for college is the traditional book. I also enjoy working in the college library doing student work with all the traditional books. My dream is to be a librarian someday so that is another reason I hope that e-books do not replace traditional books so I will have that environment that I enjoy working in.
nikkavb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkavb.html

Post by nikkavb »

One word. No.
1Book-a-Holic-Ila2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1book-a-holic-ila2.html

Post by 1Book-a-Holic-Ila2 »

I don't think so. Paperbacks are fabulous. Ebooks can never match up to that level. :)

-- 08 Aug 2014, 09:07 --

I don't think so. Paperbacks are fabulous. Ebooks can never match up to that level. :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I am actually surprised by the number of people who don't own an e-reader or read anything other than books. I didn't realize this was the case until I self published my own e-book and NONE of my friends, excluding my sister, could buy it (or get it for free) because they didn't have anything to read it on. Of course, now there are free cloud readers and such, but still, they don't want to read it like that. They want to have an actual book in their hands. I was surprised. I was under the impression that so many people in the world actually hated books.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I learned years ago that when logic and emotion conflict, emotion almost always wins. That's why there are so many posts in this thread about the love of books, the feel of books, and I've even heard people wax poetic about the smell of books. Logically, there are a few categories of books that are better in paper than on an ereader. Obviously, books heavy with graphics would be better on paper. I have books of the works of photographers I like and they would be worthless on an ereader. Books heavy with maps are better on paper. Another category that's better on paper are, in my opinion, travel guides where you flip back and forth...a lot.

Dictionaries I prefer on my Nexus 5 phone. They are a pain to carry and work better on the phone than with an ereader.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Reading on a device for me is like eating rations.
It keeps me going but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.
Physical books should always be an option.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Graverobber wrote:Reading on a device for me is like eating rations.
It keeps me going but I don't enjoy it nearly as much.
Physical books should always be an option.
An option for sure!
And there is always the possibility that the ereaders will break and then you can't read ANYTHING. If a book breaks, you can still read it. And it's pretty hard to break a book, right?
Afphuu

Post by Afphuu »

I do read a lot of E-books as well as paperbacks. But, i don't want e-books to replace them. I love holding a book in my hand, turning pages while i read, even the smell! And for me personally, the reading experience is far greater when i'm using paperbacks rather than e-books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”