Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
EmilyCook9410
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilycook9410.html

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by EmilyCook9410 »

To me personally, I think it is important because, it keeps your mind active. We need lots of imagination in our life. I am really horrible with comprehension sometimes. More out loud than, written.
:oops:
Kryshonda

Post by Kryshonda »

I agree with everything you posted, but also want to add that pertaining to our youth today reading is vitally important because they are losing basic vocabulary and communication skills. We have children who can text, and use spell-check, but can't tell you the difference between words like advice and advise or the proper use of your, you are and yours, nevertheless tell you the meanings. Reading helps us to get a command of the English language.......its battle we can't afford to lose in the Educational and Creative War.
A24

Post by A24 »

Kryshonda wrote:I agree with everything you posted, but also want to add that pertaining to our youth today reading is vitally important because they are losing basic vocabulary and communication skills. We have children who can text, and use spell-check, but can't tell you the difference between words like advice and advise or the proper use of your, you are and yours, nevertheless tell you the meanings. Reading helps us to get a command of the English language.......its battle we can't afford to lose in the Educational and Creative War.
Well said!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
d0dridge
Favorite Author: Raymond Feist
Currently Reading: Ethics on the Ark
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d0dridge.html
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Post by d0dridge »

I agree with the 8 points mentioned but I wonder as well how important it is to stretch yourself when reading?

What I mean is choosing books outside your comfort zone to really challenge your abilities to stick with a book and reading skills. I have read some books that I really did not enjoy but was glad that I got there in the end and stuck with them.
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan
Robertclive12

Post by Robertclive12 »

Reading makes a man so perfect and it teaches so many things in life and also how to become a personality..
Eggroll
Favorite Author: Raymond Chandler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eggroll.html
fav_author_id: 4104

Post by Eggroll »

ralfy wrote:Ultimately, it is the only way to learn as much as possible about the world and about humanity.
BINGO

Most non-readers seem to be ignorant about many things. Reading introduces you to infinite (ok not really) amounts of information.
“I lit a cigarette that tasted like a plumber’s handkerchief” - Raymond Chandler
levina
Favorite Author: Robert carrie
Favorite Book: suspect

Post by levina »

I believe the fact with everything you published. Studying guides is what has assisted me to be so innovative in lifestyle, I believe. It`s assisted me find methods to amuse myself without a tv or movie gaming, and come up with exciting experiences myself. It created me good at improv, as I always had thousands of concepts and experiences of which to work off, and has assisted me enhance my terminology and sentence structure over the decades.
"Reading is the best way to improve knowledge"
kelskels73

Post by kelskels73 »

The ability to read informational texts is becoming of more importance than ever. Some can manage to get through a work of fiction, but many find informational texts boring and filled with difficult vocabulary. A lot of this is true, but how are people supposed to get information? Some say the internet and that's true, but it still involves reading. Yes, you can watch a video, but the best way to grasp a topic is to look at a variety of sources to understand it completely.
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

Reading is good in all ways. It's a great way to learn about what you might want to know that you have no access to. READING IS COOL!
kumarlabels

Post by kumarlabels »

Reading books make ablity to Understanding,Exploring,Knowledge gaining,Memory
celwoods
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celwoods.html

Post by celwoods »

I can never imagine life without reading. I pity the people who never get the chance to learn. Reading lets you explore things beyond your reach, it will take you to places you could dream of without leaving the comfort of your room. It kills time without getting bored and most of all it is a a great habit that could be passed on to your children.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

changoora wrote:6. Tools of Communicating

It is the most important tool of communicating, through reading, you communicate, through reading, you understand more, and thus you can communicate better with people. As if a person that know nothing, he hasn't had anything to share, and he probably don't even understand what people are sharing. Through reading, you build a more solid bridge of communication. It is one of the most important tools we use every day to connect with each other. Whereas if you don't read, you can't even connect with the world and what people are talking about out there, including understanding what this article is all about. Reading connects you with the world.
In my opinion, all the stated reasons for reading are important but on the top of my list would be communication.
I believe reading is at the forefront of communication.

Even though we have evolved from scribbles in the dust to electronics, we are still communication by reading and writing, e.g. email, texting, FaceBook, Twitter, forums, blogging, websites visited, not to forget the myriad of PDFs and business forms filled out online.

Perhaps in future we may be able to communicate with 'thought mail' but I guarantee there will be someone who'll
want a hardcopy to read.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
carrie008

Post by carrie008 »

reading is important to me because I enjoy it! Also I read somewhere the other day that reading can help delay the onset on dementia, i'm not sure how true this is but given how much I read I do like the idea :-)
aero monkey

Post by aero monkey »

Reading is such an important part of my life. Why waste something so special by not reading?
wcttech

Post by wcttech »

From time to time people have wondered why reading is important. There seems so many other things to do with one's time. Reading is important for a variety of reasons. We will look at some of those fundamental reasons below, but it is important to realize that struggling with vital reading skills in not a sign a low intelligence. For example, John Corcoran, who wrote The Teacher Who Couldn't Read, is a very intelligent man. He graduated from High School and College, became a popular High School teacher and later a successful business man all without being able to read. Many highly intelligent people have struggled with reading although, when properly taught, most people can learn to read easily and quickly.

Now, if a man like John Corcoran can succeed without reading, why is reading important? A person should really read Mr. Corcoran's story to get the feeling of shame, loneliness and fear that he experienced before he learned to read. He was able to succeed in spite of this major handicap because he was a man of intelligence, ability and determination. But, make no mistake, it was a handicap that made life harder and less enjoyable.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”