Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by Fran »

@wcttech
I agree - I have always been of the view that it takes extraordinary levels of intelligence, determination and hard work to negotiate this world without being able to read. Can you imagine ... traffic signs, medicine instructions, warning signs, menus, timetables, text messages, instructions etc etc Those of us who are fortunate enough to have had the benefit of parents and teachers who by instruction and example gifted us the great advantage of reading should be truly grateful.
I also have huge admiration for adults who later in life admit their problem with reading and go in search of a teacher or an organisation to help them. That takes true guts, courage and determination.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
mubaracus
Favorite Author: None as of Now
Favorite Book: None as of Now
Currently Reading: Autobiography of Ghandi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mubaracus »

I completely agree with the knowledge without application thing!
piousbattle73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piousbattle73.html

Post by piousbattle73 »

Reading keeps the brain in shape. Depending on what you read it expands your knowledge base. Reading is fun ad good therapy for boredom.
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

It's given me a large vocabulary and knowledge base in general, as well as making me a better writer (seeing proper and interesting style so often really helps a lot!). And it's a great hobby to have when I'm working a 12-hour shift in security.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
greenasterisk

Post by greenasterisk »

It helps us live in worlds that don't exist yet!
Cody Mathews
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cody-mathews.html
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Post by Cody Mathews »

I workout my body to stay healthy, just like I read to exercise my brain and keep it healthy as well.
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Reading and being able to read seems to be the things our society relies upon. wherever you go there Something to read. So it is just as important as all other areas of development. Reading is a powerful tool of knowledge and enlightenment as well as comport and socialization. It is the most precious gift that the mature can give the young
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

For me it's stress relief and anxiety control. If I miss my regular reading a few days in a row, I am a b.i.t.c.h.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
booklover101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover101.html

Post by booklover101 »

reading is extremely important for kids and grown ups this days with it you could improve your vocabulary help you discover the new world that an author can create.
Xantos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xantos.html

Post by Xantos »

Reading is important! I see so many children in the world who are glued to their phones or video games and it breaks my heart. Not only is reading a great way to get away from this world to relax on a grand adventure, but it helps build up your imagination as well as increase your potential in passing in school.
mishy
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishy.html
Latest Review: "Grandparenting Grandkds, Book 1" by Michael Lee Joshua

Post by mishy »

Reading takes you to another place, expands your thinking and opens your mind to different ideas and concepts.
Latest Review: "Grandparenting Grandkds, Book 1" by Michael Lee Joshua
urica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urica.html

Post by urica »

Reading is important because it is one important tool for learning and understanding.
Padmaja K
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-padmaja-k.html

Post by Padmaja K »

Information about only certain things are available in visual/audio form. Majority of information still lies in the print form.Hence , reading is very important
booksprite+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksprite.html

Post by booksprite+ »

It exercises your mind and expands your world exposing you to new information and ideas.Also serves as a relaxation exercise and/or escape from drudgery.Food for your mind.
taykay08
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taykay08.html
Latest Review: "Tireless" by Graham Spaid

Post by taykay08 »

I definitely agree that reading is important...And this made me consider how some of the points that you have listed can be argued against with the wide availability of spoken text and videos through technology. However, while documentation can occur through visual and audio devices, accessing those documents will never be more efficient than accessing a written document. Have you ever tried to do research online, came across a video, and were disappointed because you were expecting an article that you could leaf through for the information that you need? You can't do that sort of thing as easily with a video/audio recording. So, I guess I agree with all of the points that you listed, and this is my argument(even though no one asked! :)) for why they are relevant even with advances in technology.
Latest Review: "Tireless" by Graham Spaid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”