Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RainbowSix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by RainbowSix »

Television is a passive activity requiring zero interaction or thought process. Reading anything requires concentration, following a story, creating images in your mind. They say it's one of the best ways of keeping age related dementia at bay, even if not preventing it at least slowing the onset.
applesallday

Post by applesallday »

Other than prayer, reading keeps me sane.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

Reading is the most important thing a child can do. Yet so many parents don't seem to realize this. As a teacher of English in Thailand, one thing I find very frustrating is the lack of reading that goes on by most Thai students. However, my friends who are teachers in other countries say it's not that much different there. So why do more children not read and why is reading so important?

My mother taught me to read when I was three old. Consequently, when I started primary school I was the only kid who was in a corner reading a book while all the other kids were learning their ABCs. I had a head start in education that has never let me down. I 'm now in my 40s and I still read around 200 books a year. I also read internet articles, newspaper, magazines and even some comic books (very popular here in Asia). All of this information has imbued my life with knowledge and helped me in everything I do.

-- 23 Oct 2013, 03:15 --

Reading is important for a variety of reasons. One of the fundamental reasons is that reading develops the mind. Reading is also a method of discovering new things and adding value to our knowledge base. It is also a vital skill that can help us to find a good job because some well paying jobs require reading as part of job performance.
shamsul

Post by shamsul »

I agreed with you.Knowledge is power and knowledge is gathered from reading.
simplymommy0813
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by simplymommy0813 »

I love to get lost in the story, to become that character for that short time exploring a new world.
moni06

Post by moni06 »

To me is the way i was brought up. Reading meant excising your brain. So when you get old you don't have memory loss. Through out the years I've learn to love it and just enjoy reading as it was a career for me.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

The short answer is: a lot! Parents are by far the most important educators in a child’s life and it’s never too young for a child to start, even if you’re only reading with your child for a few minutes a day.

Before they're born, babies learn to recognize their parents' voices. Reading to your baby from the time they're born gives them the comfort of your voice and increases their exposure to language.

-- 28 Oct 2013, 02:27 --

First and foremost, the Bible is essential for knowing God and His will for our lives. The book of Romans tells us there are certain things we can know about God from general revelation. Without Scripture people can know about God’s power and divine nature by examining creation (Romans 1:20). They also know God’s law because it is written on their hearts (Romans 2:14–15).
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Reading is important since it develops and exercises the mind, relaxes you, improves concentration, improves vocabulary and the most important of all it's an entertainment!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

jhardy0229 wrote:Reading teaches so many things with out feeling like you are having information forced upon you (often the feeling in school). It makes things interesting and different. Many people learn the meanings of words not by looking them up in the dictionary but by being avid readers and learning to understand by context clues. It can also be a very expensive vacation. Go into your room alone, shut the door and power up your ipad (or open your book) and once you're into a book, often, everything around you disappears and you become a character in the book.

Yes. I completely agree with this. Well said!
Colleen1178

Post by Colleen1178 »

I agree with the 8 reasons to read. I love learning, but I am not able to continue with higher education at this point so reading is a great way to learn more about everything as stated. Another important reason I read is to relax, reading is cathartic and allows me to leave my work day and enter another world.
courtneybranton

Post by courtneybranton »

NovelIdea wrote:Reading makes you a more interesting person overall.
Very well said. Actually, when you're introduced to someone and the conversation starts on books or ebooks for that matter, you get to see an individual's personality on the books they read.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

From time to time people have wondered why reading is important. There seems so many other things to do with one's time. Reading is important for a variety of reasons. We will look at some of those fundamental reasons below, but it is important to realize that struggling with vital reading skills in not a sign a low intelligence. For example, John Corcoran, who wrote The Teacher Who Couldn't Read, is a very intelligent man. He graduated from High School and College, became a popular High School teacher and later a successful business man all without being able to read. Many highly intelligent people have struggled with reading although, when properly taught, most people can learn to read easily and quickly.
morganinga
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganinga.html

Post by morganinga »

Yeah I think reading is ridiculously important, because it allows the mind to grow in ways that dont seem possible. Reading gives you the opportunity to escape and get lost in your own imagination, and that is a rare ability.
wctumesh

Post by wctumesh »

Reading is important for a variety of reasons. One of the fundamental reasons is that reading develops the mind. Reading is also a method of discovering new things and adding value to our knowledge base. It is also a vital skill that can help us to find a good job because some well paying jobs require reading as part of job performance.
Plehr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plehr.html

Post by Plehr »

Reading is a mind's trip around the world and around galaxies.
It's something that isn't very replaceable.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”