Some fact about ebooks reading

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
karigirl84
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karigirl84.html

Re: Some fact about ebooks reading

Post by karigirl84 »

I love e-readers, but I also love books. I can go six months reading on an e-reader and then just need to feel the pages turning in my hands. There's nothing like it.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

Gabi669 wrote:The only drawback I have found with using Ebooks especially when traveling is if you run out of battery life then you cant read anything. With a paper book you never have to worry about it being downloaded properly, or trying to find somewhere to go to download it. Both of these issues have been pertinent to me and for these reasons I still have regular paperback books. I do not think Ebooks can ever replace a paperback book. I do think they just offer more flexibility in the way you can read them or access them.
I bought a solar charger for my kindle which works amazingly well. It's a very green charging option, and allows you to charge in whatever country you find yourself in. I also have a ton of books downloaded on my devices at any given time, but would definitely make sure I had a good blend of favorites and new books available on it if I was traveling.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
GemAnthony
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GemAnthony »

I'm not sure how to measure slower or faster as for me the length of time it takes me to read has more to do with the vocabulary. I'm one of those that will absolutely not read past a word I don't know, I take the time to look it up. The e-readers have built in dictionaries so that extremely time saving, for me.
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

I am pretty sure I read more books now due to the accessibility. Any time I have a few spare moments, I can flick open my Kindle app on my phone and pick up right where I left off in whatever book I'm in the mood for at the moment. I don't tend to haul books around with me everywhere I go.

-- 09 Mar 2016, 17:49 --

I am pretty sure I read more books now due to the accessibility. Any time I have a few spare moments, I can flick open my Kindle app on my phone and pick up right where I left off in whatever book I'm in the mood for at the moment. I don't tend to haul books around with me everywhere I go.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

simplysara wrote:I am pretty sure I read more books now due to the accessibility. Any time I have a few spare moments, I can flick open my Kindle app on my phone and pick up right where I left off in whatever book I'm in the mood for at the moment. I don't tend to haul books around with me everywhere I go.
Yep. This is true for me too. I absolutely love the portability of e-books!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

Interesting discussion; from the comments it appears to depend on what you are use to reading on whether you read faster on ebooks or not
sgt1day
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgt1day.html

Post by sgt1day »

with Google PlayBooks, I find that I am more apt to jump from book to book, rather than taking in most of a paperback in one sitting. The ability to read multiple books electronically, as well as book marking where you left off, may "slow' the process. With a paperback, I'm usually content reading one at a time - getting through most of it in one or a few sittings. With my e-book reader, I know they are there whenever, and I tend to read in segments rather than devour the whole book quickly.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Now that you mention it, I definitely feel like it takes me longer to get through ebooks. I'm the kind of person who likes to be able to see the progress I've made, whether it's how many pages are left in a book or whatever. When I'm reading an ebook, though, sometimes it feels like no matter how much I focus and spend time on a book, the sliding dot at the bottom doesn't move very quickly. Also, sometimes when I'm reading from a document instead of a proper ebook, the format doesn't fit the page and I have to take the time to zoom in and move the page around so I can actually read it.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I definitely think that it's faster to read an ebook because we always have our phones or tablets on us these days vs having a paperback book with us.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

For me I think it is the book. If the book has my attention and I can't put it down. I tend to read it faster, then a slower paced book. I have gotten thru a book in a matter of hours in both forms
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Ha Ha good one a reading potato.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I tend to finish ebooks faster than traditional books because they're handy and I can easily pick up where I left off even if I'm on the go.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Personally, I know that I read faster with a physical book than I do an e-book. I can't really explain why especially since e-readers are sometimes more convenient to carry around.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I'm just the opposite of that. :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I find I'm much faster with an ebook. Since my Kindle syncs to my phone, I read in places that I never used to read since I always have my phone with me.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”