Some fact about ebooks reading

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
bookfalcons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Some fact about ebooks reading

Post by bookfalcons »

I did hear that the speed of reading ebook is quarter of paper books, is it right or wrong
A24

Post by A24 »

I don't see why that would make a difference? :?
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Sounds ridiculous to me ... if anything I read faster on my Kindle
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Felana

Post by Felana »

There definitely have been studies that show people generally read slower on e-readers but that accessibility results in a higher volume of reading. The main study I found with a quick search had very small sample sizes though, but I do think there was a bigger one a while back...trying to find it.

If I do read slower on my kindle - it's not much slower and I definitely fall into the higher volume of reading due to accessibility group. I do think I read slower on backlit devices, cause they aggravate my eyes though. Fine in a pinch but I tend to stop reading sooner than with a book or non-backlit device.
Aloisius12

Post by Aloisius12 »

If you read slower, you remember more. Isn't that the scope of reading?
Cerxi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cerxi.html

Post by Cerxi »

I definitely do read slower on my Android than I do on a real book, but I think at least some of that is that while I've always sort of speed-read novels, when it's electronic text I automatically take care to parse every single word; a remnant of years of computer work!
kaichou22

Post by kaichou22 »

I love ebooks. I like reading them on my phone :)
researchonindia

Post by researchonindia »

Google's answer to an ebook reader for Android. After enabling Sync it takes a moment for the main screen to appear but when it does, it looks very fancy. If you have multiple books stored on your device it displays the books found as little books (with shadows) that move and scroll when you slide your finger over them. I opened up Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (horizontally) and I'm presented with a clean crisp 2 page display that has that neat page turning animation you can find on some ebook readers and apps. I can flip pages forwards and backwards and the images are clear too. Turning my device vertically, the two pages become one but still the page flipping animation works and the text and images are sharp. So back to horizontal.
Aloisius12

Post by Aloisius12 »

It's poetized process of e-book handling and I liked it. Everything can be poetized if you really love it :D And then that's what new artifacts of civilization are made for: to make you happy!
ewassall
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewassall.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore

Post by ewassall »

While I don't consider myself a "speed-reader" by any stretch of the imagination -- I believe speed-reading largely implies not actually reading every single syllable (I know the definition includes "without reducing comprehension, but I guess I'm simply not sure that I think that's totally possible) -- but anyway... starting over

While I don't consider myself a "speed-reader" by any stretch of the imagination, I do read quickly. And I undeniably read slower on a mechanism of any kind than when reading a book. But as far as the study it probably includes a few things:

1) The majority of the population is still more used to reading in a book than on a device. So if they're not used to it, they'll definitely read slower

2) Often (no, not always, but often), on a device there is less words per page. Speed-reading involves stoping less on individual words and/or occasionally skimming certain sections. If you have to stop in order turn the page more often, it could slow down a real speed-reader.

My own personal thoughts? I highly prefer reading from an actual book, always will. I undoubtably read faster, and more comfortably with an actually physical book. Plus, there's the obvious, it smells good, it feels good, I just love it. Nothing will ever replace that. But at the same time, it's nice to pull out my phone at night and read, without even turning on the light!
Latest Review: "The Hidden Ones" by Nancy Madore
osummer597

Post by osummer597 »

Right now I don't have a Kindle. But I read Kindle books on my computer with the Kindle for PC reader. Since I do most of my reading online anyway, I'm not sure whether it's faster or slower for me. I think it's about the same. But I do tend to skim faster on the Kindle reader.
Siolastre

Post by Siolastre »

I've never thought about this before, but I've always ben a fast reader - I think it's just the amount that I read. But I also think I do read faster using an ereader. I may have to some testing to find out for sure. :)

Siolastre
Krobert1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krobert1.html

Post by Krobert1 »

Wow, I had never heard that! I prefer paper books, but the one book I had read on my computer did go by fast. I wouldn't think any faster for that specific reason though.
amitbook

Post by amitbook »

There are huge advantage of getting ebook help they are more accurate and cheap in compare of study through physical books studying
Boo

Post by Boo »

For me, the ePub format is excellent. I don't have to control the lighting. I don't have to hold the book. I can change the size of the text and read with or without glasses. I can even blow it up and put it on the bedroom plasma. Then I can just lie back and be a reading potato.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”