Some fact about ebooks reading

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
readinginreview4
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Re: Some fact about ebooks reading

Post by readinginreview4 »

I don't really read on ebooks. But I know that they are terrible to get wet haha!
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

I read about the same speed, but I'm slow either way :)
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I haven't noticed a big change in the speed which I read or regular or ebook. If someone isn't used to the device they are using this might be the case though.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The only time I read slower on an e-device is when I download PDF files to my iPhone. For some reason, PDF files appear very small in my iBooks app, and I always have to manually expand the size so I can read it, but then I feel more like I'm perusing a website than reading a book and it takes the enjoyment away. On my Kindle, however, I have no problems and I can get through an e-book just as quickly as I would a hard copy.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

SparklingOne wrote:I haven't noticed a big change in the speed which I read or regular or ebook. If someone isn't used to the device they are using this might be the case though.
I think much the same.. I never read that fast or that slow. Kind of steady 40-70 seconds a page depending on font size.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Nelfhaliz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelfhaliz.html

Post by Nelfhaliz »

They are more convenient to cary I love reading but sometimes it not practical to cary the copy of a book around. I love ebooks because you can read them anywhere in many different formats.
roultmore

Post by roultmore »

Reading hard copy is much easier, first it does not pressure on your eyes and second easy to handle, whereas reading ebook stress on eyes .
Madhu Sri
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-sri.html
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts

Post by Madhu Sri »

I find that I am faster at reading the ebooks than the paper books. Depends upon the ebook format though.
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts
Ursula_Minor
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ursula-minor.html
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken

Post by Ursula_Minor »

I have recently learned, (from reviewing books for this website, actually) that I am a much faster reader when I'm reading ebooks. However, the books I'm reading to review here tend to have simple plots, use very straightforward language, etc, which I think is a much bigger factor in my personal reading speed that anything else.
callsign: unknown
Latest Review: "The Hidden Planet" by Rob Chicken
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

I possibly read slightly slower on my Kindle, only because with the electronic format I can automatically look up information related to the text whereas with a regular book I would make a note and keep reading. And then lose the note and never look it up. So I think I'm getting more information now.

-- 30 Sep 2015, 19:13 --

I should add I read very quickly. I usually take about four hours through the standard novel.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
hunibea
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunibea.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by hunibea »

I am not sure I read faster on my kindle. I feel like I read faster when I physically hold a book in my hands, but that may be because I can actually see how many pages I have read.
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

Multiple studies have also shown that the you do not retain what you have read as well via an ereader versus a real book in hand. The few ebooks I've read, I've always felt I read them far more quickly, no idea why.
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

I don't see why people would retain less from ebooks unless the studies mentioned failed to adjust for environment and type of ereader.
Its possible more people read ebooks while traveling in which case its harder to concentrate and you'll remember less. Also crappy ereaders like backlit ones, paperwhites, phones etc. might also be more problematic to read and thus also result in less retention.

As to speed i'd be surprised if most people didn't read faster on ereaders as the speed of reading must be related to the ease of reading, and the ease of reading is based on the size of the text.
Larger text (which is only possible on ereaders) is faster for the eyes to process, thus faster to read.
Gabi669
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabi669.html

Post by Gabi669 »

The only drawback I have found with using Ebooks especially when traveling is if you run out of battery life then you cant read anything. With a paper book you never have to worry about it being downloaded properly, or trying to find somewhere to go to download it. Both of these issues have been pertinent to me and for these reasons I still have regular paperback books. I do not think Ebooks can ever replace a paperback book. I do think they just offer more flexibility in the way you can read them or access them.
abookishvoyage
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abookishvoyage.html

Post by abookishvoyage »

I prefered paper books but since there's only two bookstores here in my place, so i have to download and buy ebooks which I can't find here. I think there's no difference but the smells from the paper books which soo seductive

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”