Is it the same?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Nansie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nansie.html

Is it the same?

Post by Nansie »

For me I think the value of the traditional book isn't the same when it's an e-book. Just holding the book, smelling it, turning each page and before taking a break twist the top of the page and closing the book...It's like a relationship

What about you?
dnieljosph

Post by dnieljosph »

Absolutely correct, I am totally agree with you. Like other books those books are not common to us. They are really special and their places can't be taken by the e-books...
pawankalyan

Post by pawankalyan »

correct
Cerxi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cerxi.html

Post by Cerxi »

To me, the biggest difference is simply that books have an end. I don't mean that in the "phew, I'm finally finished reading this!" kind of way, but more in the way that when you're reading a physical novel, you can see how close you are to finishing it, you get excited for the climax and resolution, and when you're done, you close the book and put it away. With an ebook, you never really know (or at least I don't; the Kindle app for Android doesn't seem to have page numbers, just nebulous "locations"!), and even when you are done, there's a whole list of other books waiting for you to start on right away.
It just feels less organic to read on a smartphone, to the point where I have a hard time starting sometimes!
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I think a actual book is more valuable then a e reader. :wink:
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
jjthemanjunaid

Post by jjthemanjunaid »

yeah its a relationship with reader and book..
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

It isn't really the same, but I think reading with an e-reader can still be a good experience. I know that I've loved having so many books to choose from all at once, and I have actually been able to get some great books for a low price that wouldn't have been possible with a physical copy. Plus there's the issue of being able to conserve the space I might have used on a physical book. Don't get me wrong, I still have lots of books, but now I can still read a great deal and only buy physical copies of the really good books.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
clara_manak

Post by clara_manak »

I find myself with the same thoughts and questions. I have more of an emotional attachment to the characters when I am reading a hard copy rather than an ebook. Ever since I was little, I have always loved the feel and smell of the pages in a book. There is something about seeing a room full of books that automatically makes me feel at home. That's something you don't get from ebooks. Now that I am thinking about it, I only read ebooks if they are free. If I have to spend money on a book, I will almost always buy a hardcopy over an ebook. I will say that I like having ebooks on my phone or tablet so I can read if I am waiting at the dentist or something. Overall, I will always prefer a book over and ebook.
bcox1028
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcox1028.html

Post by bcox1028 »

I don't think it's the same. As much as I like holding a book in my hands sometimes it's just easier to grab your kindle or whatever form of electronic device you have.
Jolijt
Currently Reading: Tell the Wolves Im Home

Post by Jolijt »

For me it's the same: paper book, audiobook, ebook each with their own pros and cons.

I like to hold a paper book, touch and smell it but since I do not want to damage my books an ebook is much easier traveling. An audiobook is sometimes painfully slow...I can read much faster, but while ironing it's better than not reading at all.

After a year or so I really do not know anymore in which version a book came... so for me it's the same.. a way to breathe in the stories.
Bloopers in my spelling or grammar?? A PM will be greatly appreciated... I do (almost) anything to improve my English!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I care more about the story and less about the format. As long as I can read the book, I am happy. Nowadays. I read mostly on my Kindle.

I now only get the paper version for books I know I will reread.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bluefirerose
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluefirerose.html
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by Bluefirerose »

I thought it would be very hard to like an e reader until my boss let me borrow hers; turns out it wasn't bad at all. I still love my books, but my kindle is always with me, and if I'm reading a book that I really don't like, I can pick a different one right then instead of having to wait to get one from home/buy or borrow one.
Latest Review: "Thomas Kindercook and the Pink Pyjamas" by Gerald Feather
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I couldn't read ebooks until I joined this website and I love it now!
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I do like a traditional book, but I read more often with ebooks. I can listen to ebooks while I drive.
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

E-books are great. I like having all my books in one place. But there is nothing like experiencing a traditional book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”