Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by Amh73090 »

The free ebooks I've come across are not always good quality books. Therefore the readers often times don't benefit. The only way authors benefit is by getting their name out there and free publicity.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

not have to pay
Namrata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Namrata »

Definitely all book lovers would benefit from free ebooks. But I realized that one needs to sift through these ebooks to find the good book. Most books I've seen are heavy on romance or have explicit sexual exploits etc. The purity and passion is missing.
Maria T
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-t.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria T »

Ebooks are often free on Amazon to A, help readers get interested in a series or B, to help more people learn about an author. It's not that the author thinks their book isn't worth it but that they're trying to get more exposure.
kebanfi
Currently Reading: Paper Princess
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebanfi.html

Post by kebanfi »

I agree with the person above me. Authors are usually looking to get their work out there when they offer the book for free. When readers are unfamiliar with an author they are more likely to read a book which they can get for free.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

As a reader, it is often the way I check out a new author. I'm not spending much on an unknown. I have bought second and third books after reading a freebie.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

I find it a good way to get to know new authors, and i willingly buy other books if they are good. The only losers is the bookstores.
StacyWV

Post by StacyWV »

Yes, many authors will make their first-in-series books free to try to hook new fans who will then be more likely to buy their other books... ti's a great marketing technique for writers, especially the self-published indie writers. I don't think it is a blight on the industry really... it is just as easy for an indie author to write a completely horrid book and charge 9.99 for it.

There is an interesting write-up of the data showing that at a certain point of books in a series, or books published the free-first book does help market the author, but in some cases they make more money without going the free route. I think it is still viable as a marketing tool for the new indie authors though. The article can be read on the Author Earnings website (I can't post the link to it as a new member heheh)
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

Personally, if I read a free book that I really like, I will more than likely go buy more books by that author. A lot of it is just to get authors exposure, or, as StacyWV pointed out, to hook readers into a series by offering the first book free.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I personally tend to not read free eBooks. Free books tend to not be written or edited as well, or else the author would think more of their work than giving it away. Sometimes, there are some good free ones but it's just pretty rare.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Genaaa wrote:I personally tend to not read free eBooks. Free books tend to not be written or edited as well, or else the author would think more of their work than giving it away. Sometimes, there are some good free ones but it's just pretty rare.
That hasn't been my experience. I often find new or emerging authors that make me want to read more of their works. And pay for them.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmiwrites
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmiwrites.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by kimmiwrites »

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group so I'm just getting used to things. In regards to free ebooks, I think it's something that benefits the author. It helps get the word out about the book, in a situation where a person may never have come across it. :D
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

Truly the benefit of "free" books when you're an author with a series is to capture the attention of readers and hope that they're return to purchase additional installments. There's also the hope that positive reviews will increase awareness of your writing ability.
KTKat1377
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktkat1377.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018Y229OU

Post by KTKat1377 »

Free E-books are one of the few ways I support my reading addiction. 95% of the eBooks I own were downloaded for free off of Amazon. I'm not rich yet, but I'm trying to learn how to be. Most of the good entrepreneurial books cost a pretty penny, so I offset those costs by downloading my fun reading for free.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Bookworm Beth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm-beth.html

Post by Bookworm Beth »

I think it benefits authors and readers alike. I have learned of many new authors using amazon''s monthly service (while not entirely free, the included books are mostly ones I had never heard of). I have also used sites like good reads to check out new materials. Whenever people like myself enjoy a particular author, we are more likely to look for their other works. New and Indie authors benefit a lot by getting their names out there and even some veteran authors aren't that widely known. I don't think it would be a great idea to have every book free, but I do advocate making the first in a series free or a couple of books by each author free. I love getting to know new authors and usually only read ebooks these days. Free ebooks mean I am more likely to check out the people I know nothing about.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”