Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
amandalowhorn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by amandalowhorn »

My favorite free ebooks are from Emma Rose.
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

Although I am typically disappointed in the ebooks I have read, I can recall at least one occasion in which I read a novella that introduced a series. I liked the novella and did end up paying to read the rest of the series. I will read ebooks in genres that I do not normally read. That way I am not losing anything if I don't enjoy it.
booksprite+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksprite.html

Post by booksprite+ »

I think to each his own. I enjoy holding a paper book in my hands, but I also appreciate toteing my books with ease on my Kindle. I have tons of free books on there which is definately a benefit to me, and the authors benefit by getting their name out there, I guess.
Saaskia Aark-Bennett

Post by Saaskia Aark-Bennett »

Well, Amazon certainly don't get any immediate monetary benefits by providing authors the free eBook offer facility - but it gives them tremendous outreach to potential eBook clients... I do, I really DO, understand that this could be disastrous for traditional booksellers (and I'm someone who LOVES to browse and buy in traditional bookstores, and to chat with librarians.... but I feel one has to face the future - and the future is not only eBooks, but also Online Purchasing of all sorts of commodities, including Print Books... so authors, by offering free eBooks, are diving headlong into the future - whether it helps their future sales or not. Let's hope, for the authors' sakes that it DOES, and let's hope for the sake of bookstores, that they can find some way to accommodate themselves to this new trend...
Wishing you GOOD READING - and meanwhile a suggestion to the Book and Reading Discussion Forums for Readers - why not show posts in latest date order?
Saaskia Aark-Bennett
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

The unsung heroes of the writing world – first-time authors, business book authors, authors who’ve endured years of struggle, and comeback kids – are all resistant to the idea of giving their work away.

After all, who buys the cow when the milk is free?

Although it seems counter-intuitive, free books actually can boost long-term business potential. In today’s digital age, the best outlet is the eBook, which offers advantages other publishing opportunities can’t.
wctumesh

Post by wctumesh »

Current Contest Results! ... [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Make ... into the authors pocket without me reaping any benefits but I was wrong. ... This book is just under a 100 pages but it offers a lot of links to ... I'm always looking for ways to occupy my free time and make a little ...
Plehr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plehr.html

Post by Plehr »

I guess everyone does benefit.
Reader gets a free reading, and the author free publicity.
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

Free eBooks is one of the things that help me when my reading is stuck in a rut. If i really enjoy an eBook (which I do most of the time) then I will usually go and find more and will pay for other books by the author. A lot of free books released are the first in a series. This is a great way for a first time author to get their books out there!
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I believe it depends on who you talk to about it. A free book gets the name of the author in the readers mouth. And if the book is really good, then the reader will go and buy the book. I have a list of several books that I want to buy that I had the opportunity to read as a free ebook first. So in my opinion the authors benefit as well. Not only will the readers buy the book if they like it but they are more likely to check out the authors other writings as well.
sonorajlm79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonorajlm79.html

Post by sonorajlm79 »

I think that free books benefit the authors, and the readers. Speaking as a reader myself, I have been introduced to many wonderful books, series and authors that I never would have taken a chance on had they not been free. And I have also spent countless dollars buying the next books in series that I fell in love with because the first book was free. I believe this is a win-win for authors and readers, and I also believe that the fear that marking a book as free will somehow harm its perceived value is misplaced. The author Amanda Hocking got started in the industry just writing ebooks, and she made a practice of not only making first in the series books free, she also made sure that all of her books were very cheaply priced. And instead of damaging her career or reputation, she became wildly successful and now has been signed to a major publisher and has had her books optioned for movies. Of course, it helps that she is just that good a writer too! :D
Artemisia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

Fran wrote:I am be very sceptical of free ebooks (excluding public domain books of course) ...... it does strike me that if the author doesn't think his/her work is worth paying for then why on earth would they think I'd want to spend my valuable time reading it. IMO something free is generally not worth a whole lot .... but that's just me!
Valid point Fran. I agree with you to an extent. Except for old classics that are no longer copy protected
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
terrametoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrametoo.html

Post by terrametoo »

I can see scenarios where this can benefit the author, such as:
- title is the first in a series and their hoping to loop you in.
- it's really just a short story that's the first chapter or so to a novel that they hope you will buy.
- the author is trying to establish themselves as an expert in a field and get clients to sell to
- the book was self published and the author is hoping that readers will rate it and it typos more kindly if free
- author knows book is great and wants to quickly generate high ratings so they can raise the price later

Once I finally write something I would consider offering it for free for a limited time.
nowanico2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nowanico2403.html

Post by nowanico2403 »

i love the hundreds of free ebooks amazon offers every month, they offer the first books of series which if you like it, encourages you to purchase the next book in the series
KatsReviews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsreviews.html

Post by KatsReviews »

Like others have said a lot of the time it is the first in a series and you are encouraged to buy the rest. Other times the author might just want to share their ideas. A lot of the time free ebooks are reviewed more positively and therefore the author is seen in a better light.
So I definitely think the author benefits if their book is a good book.
The reader benefits obviously.
I know people say that amazon benefits because people need an ereader and I would agree with that but keep in mind you can read this books on your computer/phone not necessarily an ereader
aryadeleke

Post by aryadeleke »

I like eBooks because I can take them with me anywhere. So at work, I can just bring out an e-reader and go on from there. Some e-readers allow me to highlight portions of the book and email it, which I also love. Some authors use it to gauge the response to the book by offering free samples with the intention of getting honest reviews. I think that might benefit the author more.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”